1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Problem with FTM version 2014.1

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by chrissy1, Apr 9, 2020.

1. chrissy1

chrissy1 LostCousins Star

I know I had to update version 2014 to 2014.1 when Mackiev took over, and prior to that I had a spare copy of FTM2014 on my husband's computer, but I cannot recall how I did the update to 2014.1, but I don't think I have any way of loading 2014.1 onto another computer.

2. chrissy1

I am concerned about transferring my Ancestry tree onto my 2014.1 Mackiev program (if that can even be done with 2014.1) as I think the FTM program itself might have problems/corruption. Is that possible? I am also concerned that if I mess up in some way trying to copy my Ancestry tree as a GEDCOM I have nothing left, as my FTM tree has far more problems than I initially noticed, as some 2000+ names have self duplicated in the index, though they do not affect the operation of the tree. (Bob Spiers, you infer there could be problems with the transfer from Ancestry.)
    It seems that in addition to the self duplicated name (duplicated 10 times) which caused the tree to freeze when accessed and which cannot be deleted or amended, an additional name is creating exactly the same problem on the new GEDCOM which is now installed on FTM. Attempting to delete the multiple duplicated offending names using Mackiev's instructions result in the tree not being able to be opened at all.

If I purchase Mackiev's 2019 version, how do I know I won't get similar problems again? I have never experienced any problems with genealogy programs in the past, so this scares me. I have spent 30 years creating my tree through primary research and I am desperate not to lose it.

Sorry, Peter, I had intended to use this time to put more names onto LC, but unless I sort this problem, I won't have a tree at all!

3. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

The last five entries look like 2 backups including media (at 9GB) and three backups excluding media (124 MB). If the two large entries are essentially the same, you may wish to remove the older one (and/or some from previous years) to free up at least 9GB of disk space.

Regarding your duplicated entries, is it possible you have a recursive loop, where a person has been attached as a descendant of himself/herself? If so, detach them from their parents to remove the recursion - they should become a separate sub-tree - then you should be able to reconnect them without the recursion.

Phil

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

The only time I have noticed issues with FTM 2019 is when the sync is interrupted. At that point, there is a chance that all updates (particularly people) can be duplicated in both trees (Ancestry and FTM).

Otherwise I haven't really noticed any considerable issues with FTM 2019, and find it a very easy program to use. I would agree with Bob and think you should update the program to FTM 2019 - in that then you won't have to learn a new program, as there aren't any differences that I can remember between the controls and visual appearance of FTM 2019 v 2014. The differences are mainly in the extras they've added like colour coding and automatic updating of filtered lists and an ability to track the changes made to your tree and revert it back to prior to those changes.

The other thing you will get access to with FTM 2019 is TreeVault, a separate online backup of your tree designed for this particular scenario, where the base file is corrupted or lost, so that it's able to be restored from the Vault. Unfortunately though, it's not a free service, but has a single cost (I think) a year.

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

You are picking at straws and for good reason I've no doubt, but let us consider your situation and possible solutions.

Your FTM 2014(i) program is corrupt for one reason or another. You will need to access it for the notes it contains, but otherwise is of little use without the technical knowledge to overcome its many flaws, however caused.

You need to make up your mind about another FH program, but for now leave the removal of duplicated files (advocated by Phil) until you decide what the new program is to be.

Best advice -and emphasised by jorghes - is update to FTM 2019 which is not unlike earlier versions, but functions far smoother with Ancestry syncing now invariably getting the 'Green' light. Better the devil you know springs to mind.

Your Ancestry Tree only lacks the copious notes you added to FTM but is otherwise functioning. You need to upload a Gedcom from Ancestry to your new program. Remember, your Ancestry Tree will remain intact, even if the transfer fails (not that it will, and in my experience rarely ever does, barring the unforeseen gremlin caused by a slow or interrupted connection or power loss). If it does you try again.

Assuming you take the 2019 route then once installed and you have imported your Ancestry Gedcom, try to ensure files are saved to a new location. If you need drive space now is the time to do as Phil suggests and remove older versions of your duplicated files.

Once satisfied the Ancestry version is correctly installed you can continue the 'Herculean' task of adding your notes. (Keep backups to a minimum no more than once a week or even longer. Just remember to close down correctly each time and continue with your notes when next you access FTM).

Edit. I am mindful that not being a 'techie' some of the above may still not be understood especially when deciding which files to delete or finding new storage locations. On the other hand you may well find things work out quite well for you and will advance your techie knowledge. If not then you can always seek further advice.

6. chrissy1

Thanks Phil for explaining the backups. It's a while since I have been able to research or back up my tree and I couldn't work our why I had several different sections of back up. I will delete a few selected older versions, but carefully choose which ones! Can I safely transfer any backups to my external hard drive, because I am now wondering whether I have some kind of virus in my FTM program as I am only up to surname 'E' transferring my notes and already come across several hundred duplicates. In total there appear to be approx 3,000 duplicates, comparing the online and FTM name totals!

These duplicates cannot be erased individually as deleting one name automatically deletes the duplicate from the tree. Any amendments made to one name automatically occur in the other name. Deleting the name entirely and re-entering manually does work, but only where the name is a child with no offspring and often there is a problem with both parents and offspring in the same tree section. However, the major problem with the 10 times self duplicated names cannot be resolved in this way as the entire tree freezes every time the name is accessed and if after hours of attempts the name is removed or detached, the problem of 10x duplication switches to another name associated with this person and no additional family can then be added to the person.

Edit. I am mindful that not being a 'techie' some of the above may still not be understood especially when deciding which files to delete or finding new storage locations. On the other hand you may well find things work out quite well for you and will advance your techie knowledge. If not then you can always seek further advice.

Peter is well versed with my lack of technical expertise.........and I cannot thank him and other LC members enough for their support in the past. It was as a result of the very kind and exhaustive help of another member that I managed to transfer to FTM back in 2015.

I think the solution may be to purchase a new copy of FTM 2019 as Bob suggests and start again from the Ancestry tree, though I believe that discs are not currently available for purchase. (I am not confident about purchasing a digital copy - a disc is still available for use after I have messed up and presumably a disc would allow me to store a duplicate program on my husband's machine?) One question, though, can I have a copy of FTM 2014.1 AND a copy of 2019 active on my computer concurrently?

This is certainly going to be a mammoth task as merely copying notes over for surnames A-D has taken 6 days and generated another 300+ pages of Ancestry hints!!!!!!!!

Many thanks for everyone's help.

7. I have only just joined this discussion because of that statement. Syncing Ancestry tree into FTM should be done regularly, if you try to sync too much data it will more than likely cause problems.
    I've put the following together which might help you chrissy1:
    I have used FTM for about 13 years.

Looking back over the emails I have from Software McKiev jogged my memory about FTM2014, it was upgraded to FTM 2014.1 then replaced by FTM2017 and I was involved in testing that version.
    This is from an email of 25 Mar 2017:

INTRODUCING FTM 2017
    A month ago at RootsTech in Salt Lake City we showed off a preview of FTM 2017 for Mac and Windows. A brand new edition. The first under our own steam! FTM 2017 has state of the art syncing technology, integration with FamilySearch®, color-coding, a photo repair tool and much more!

The new syncing technology is the reason I upgraded from version 2014.1 to 2017 and I have used it ever since.
    There may be other users of this forum that won’t agree with me but the safest way to sync is to follow the McKiev instructions to compact with full backup and compact to 0.00%
    I have followed that process ever since one of my syncs went horribly wrong resulting in a very messy tree.

The way out of the mess is to delete the tree from FTM, go to the Tree Settings Page in Ancestry and create a GEDCOM from there. Then, go to FTM choose File>Import New Tree and load the GEDCOM.
    If you have Person notes in your Ancestry file the GEDCOM will sync them.
    Item that don't synchronize:
    • Research notes

• Fact notes

• Relationship notes

• Media notes

• Relationship media

• Source media

• Saved charts and reports

8. jorghes

You might be able to "merge" the duplicate people. The "Find Duplicate people" option in Edit, and then merging those duplicates you find might work better than deleting the duplicates.

But I agree with everyone else, it might be easier to simply restart with the Ancestry tree on a newer version of FTM. (Not sure you can still purchase 2017). I am sure that you can still purchase a install, as opposed to downloading it, but I think it might come on a USB (I could be wrong!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. It doesn't look like FTM 2017 is still available, FTM 2019 is available form this website and you can Download, get a DVD or a USB.

My preferred option is Download, it is very easy to do, you just follow the instructions. Also, you won't have to wait goodness knows how long for it to arrive in the mail.

10. Bob Spiers

Yes, absolutely and can't remember when I last took up an option to buy on a disc or USB. No need to worry anyway as the installation program will remain in your Download (or wherever else you choose to store) Folder should you ever need to reload.

Either way, be sure Mackiev will still require you to view a dozen of their other related creations (which most people- perhaps all -simply reject in turn) before getting to the actual FTM download. One just has to grim and bear this hard-sell intrusion, and know at the end one will get a pretty decent FH piece of software.

11. PhilGee

That is exactly the effect of the recursion I mentioned as they are the same person. Also, all the people in that branch will be replicated, so you need to find the person at the top of that branch and delete that person as they are the key. They will appear as a child of themselves or a descendant of theirs. As soon as they are deleted there is no loop and you can (after a backup, of course) insert a new person to replace the one deleted.

The problem is they are not duplicates. They are one person who has two FAMC records - one for the family of their parents and one for a descendant's family.

12. If not in a newer version, simply delete the tree in FTM 2014.1 and replace it with a GEDCOM from your Ancestry tree, as I suggested in thread number 29.
    If you are not confident enough to do that, please say so. Nobody will think any the less of you for asking for help to do it.

13. Bob Spiers

I think what we are probably all forgetting is that Chrissy's FTM Tree (before it began to mis-function) is the one in which she stores (what she calls) her 'Private Notes' which she does not want showing in her Ancestry Tree. So the answer she is being given to delete her FTM 2014.1 tree and after purchasing a new FH program (possibly FTM 2019) import her Ancestry Tree -which DOES NOT contain the private notes is -if I read her postings correctly - what is causing her anguish.

If this is so, there seems little point in having a program capable of syncing with Ancestry if one is not intended to mirror the other. She can of course re-create her private notes in her new program - a daunting task but one she clearly wishes to carry out - and have Ancestry as a stand alone Tree without the notes, and not use the sync facility if she chooses FTM 2019,

I get round the problem of private notes by having Tribal Pages (TP) and this contains all the private notes -photos, stories, etc one could ever want - and which are not to be found in any depth in either FTM or Ancestry. This does of course mean I need to update TP quite separately (and write new notes and add new photos) but having done so for years, it is just normal routine, whilst Ancestry & FTM are quite independent and synced regularly.

14. PhilGee

FTM 2019 allows notes, facts, media (and others?) to be locked as "Private". The help for Media explicitly states that flagged media are not synced with ancestry, but for notes says they are not exported. A quick check shows that notes attached to a "person" in the notes section in the panel at the bottom of the display when showing the facts for a person do not get copied to Ancestry when locked. The lock symbol is also available for media but not web links and tasks in the same panel.

Notes attached to individual facts can also be locked, but I could not find them on Ancestry even if not locked (but probably didn't look in the right place).

Edit: it appears that the notes on Ancestry are mostly hidden - Notes can only be viewed by the owner and by those invited to the tree as an “editor”.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  15. Bob Spiers

The quote in bold is undoubtedly of significance, but as for the rest of Phil's post, it is beyond my own 'hands-on' experience with FTM to comprehend, or even want to comprehend, how one sets about locking out stuff when syncing with Ancestry. It is not something I seek to do as I want one to mirror the other, and what syncing achieves. However, I acknowledge what Phil says may well offer Chrissy some peace of mind.

16. PhilGee

I think the above expresses the reason for my previous post quite well, Bob :D:D It becomes quite obvious when you try it, but I don't know if you can set it as the default, which would be very useful for Chrissy.

Careful Bob ![/QUOTE]

17. jorghes

I use Person Notes all the time on Ancestry and they sync without problem to FTM (I use them as a basis for filtered lists). They are not visible to anyone else (as clearly stated previously) but I am unsure where this suggestion that they don't sync came from.

There are two different types of notes in FTM, so I'm not sure if then the second type (the name of which escapes me) doesn't sync like the person notes.

18. It seems Chrissy’s FTM 2014.1 is corrupt.
    Therefore there is little point in trying to export the tree to anywhere because it will only replicate the errors.
    Chrissy does not want to lose her Notes.

A possible solution is to extract the Notes from FTM 2014.1 then delete the tree and start afresh with an incorrupt tree.

How to extract the Notes using the Notes Report:
    In the Publish section of FTM under the heading ‘Publication Types’ select Notes report.
    Personally I would select ‘All Individuals’ and tick the box for every type of Note there is.
    I don’t use Notes but have entered a couple for ‘demo’ purposes, the report lists the people and under each name is the list of Notes.
    When the report has finished running you can read it on screen before saving it, if you wish. Otherwise click on Share and save the report using one of the Export options and file it.
    An example:
    upload_2020-5-18_14-13-17.png

• Good tip Good tip x 2
  19. See my post number 27, the list of what does not sync came straight from the FTM Help.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  20. PhilGee

The reference to GEDCOM is interesting for other reasons. The only omission in post 27, for FTM 2019 and probably 2017, is that "Person notes" sync both ways unless they have been locked in FTM, when they will not be transferred to Ancestry.

What happens when they are copied from Ancestry to FTM and subsequently locked or there are notes already locked, I will leave as an exercise for the reader!