1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Findmypast has new look

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by peter, Dec 17, 2019.

?

What do you think of the new Findmypast look

1. Great improvement

2. Interesting

3. Makes a change

4. Makes no difference to me

5. Don't like it

6. Not sure yet

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

The FMP Fridays link works for me, showing a list of the new records ('new additions from Northumberland and Texas') and a 'Fridays live Dec 20' video (47 mins - must watch this later).

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Same here. The last time with Ancestry, they offered me a half-price subscription the same day that the previous one expired! With FMP it took about 6 weeks before the half price offer came in.

3. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

The Fridays link works for me too. It is called the Find my Past Blog and has a lot of information in it.

4. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

Same happened for me at my last renewal (Ancestry). Mine's due in a week, so I'm hoping for a good discount again. Fingers crossed!

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Please remember to use one of my links when you purchase a subscription to Ancestry or Findmypast - it doesn't matter whether the link is out of date, so long as it is for the same site.

Thanks!

6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Interesting my FRIDAYS link still refuses to open (although other page links all do), and switching to another browser offers no cure. So, being me and somewhat of a Nerd, of course I wanted to find out why. So I right clicked and chose 'Inspect the Element' and found the https link which should have been triggered when the Fridays page was clicked. I copy/pasted the link into a new tab and hey presto the 'Whats New' page opened. So clearly the problem lies somewhere in the Element coding before the https link. I do not have sufficient coding "know-how "to tinker -and indeed why would I - so will pass on the query to FMP and see what they have to say. Of course I may figure it out for myself before then.;)

7. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I'm actually not getting on too badly with the browser magnification at 75%. (The old style pages are still set at 100%).

At 75% the text is a bit smaller than I would prefer but much less of an inconvenience than not having the full menu bar.

8. Bob Spiers

I had not previously tried opening FMP in Edge so I did so and would you believe FRIDAYS opened as intended. Strange that Edge should come to the rescue as before its somewhat new image, it was the one causing most problems. I shall regard it in a new light, but still want to know what the problem is with (my setup in) Chrome and Opera. Have messaged FMP on the subject.

9. peter

I get a full menu in Chrome or Edge at any zoom up to 100%. If I got to 125% (or even 110%) I lose My Records and Help & More, but gain a Menu icon.

My display is 1920 x 1080, which is pretty standard these days (my laptop is about 5 years old). If I downgrade to 1440 x 900 then I need to reduce the zoom to 90%. I can't see why it matters whether all the menu items are shown - but there may be other side effects of having a lower resolution.

10. Susan

Susan LostCousins Member

I have a homepage different from those I've seen so far. There is no top menu bar.

But all only change to all the other pages is the colour, the layout is identical to old FMP.

Attached Files:

11. Bob Spiers

Try lowering your Browser 'Zoom' setting (top right 3-dot or line menu). Just 10% (perhaps 20%) reduction should work.

12. Bob Spiers

Firefox also opens correctly, so peculiar neither Chrome or Opera do so.

Edit: just received a reply from FMP saying they have had reports of Fridays not working in Edge (and are working on it) but cannot understand Chrome not working and ask me to check I have the latest update despite telling them I had when I made contact. (They make no mention of Opera). I have replied telling them Edge works for me but had not checked on Firefox at the time I replied. They are passing my query on to the technical department who will look into it.

I will probably just open FMP in Edge or Firefox for the time being.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  13. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I know that my monitor is considered outdated alongside today's standards, but I'm afraid I cannot bring myself to throw away a perfectly decent, fully functioning monitor just because it is yesterday's model. (OK, maybe it's the day before yesterday's model.)

I guess it's much the same as feeling unable to throw away left over food while it's still perfectly edible.

14. Susan

Susan LostCousins Member

I zoomed out in stages down to 50% and the page just got smaller. It doesn't really matter because the original blue menu bar is there on every other page I've used so far. Instead of going to the home page I now go straight to the "Search A to Z" page and from there I can access the whole menu.

However, it has just occurred to me that I don't log out of FMP or delete the main cookie as my password is too complicated for me to remember - I have to look it up every time. Maybe if I did log out then back in the pages (all except home page) would change to the new look.

15. Bob Spiers

My sentiments exactly and can only remember buying one brand NEW because I wanted a wide screen - and that now is of course old. The remainder have been used over and over again, paired with difference devices and each device (laptop included) has a second monitor. I have a spare one in a box in the bedroom, having just discarded its twin to the local skip (where they have a dedicated container for same) because it developed pixel problems. What is more the family even 'save' them for me. My wife asks each time if I really want ANOTHER monitor? Silly question.

16. peter

That's the attitude we men take towards our clothes.

But seriously, think of your eyes and your productivity - a curved Samsung 24in HD monitor costs just £99

17. Have you looked into using a password manager? I have complicated passwords and use Norton Identity Safe to log in for those I can't remember. There are other password managers available, just Google 'password manager'. I haven't looked to see if they are free.

18. Bob Spiers

Long term viewing of screens can cause eyesight problems which is why eye tests for users of VDU's (Visual Display Screens) in offices and work places are mandatory if requested. I had several such tests whilst employed (I used a computer regularly) and indeed the H&S side of my duties was to arrange such tests for other Company VDU users, whether requested or not, and no one ever turned them down. If VDU optimised glasses were needed they were of course paid for by the Company.

Since retirement I take the normal 2-yearly eye test (now free as an 'oldie), but it was only a year or so back I mentioned my regular use of viewing computer screens to the Optician (Optometrist), which drew forth the comment that in which case I ought to have a pair of 'Computer' glasses. Last year 'Distance' glasses were part of the recommendation as well, even though my distance vision was still good enough for driving from the legal point of view. (reading a number plate at x distance sort of thing). But what a difference each makes to the task in hand, and the improvement in using my distance glasses when viewing my TV from my armchair is remarkable.

Computer glasses are merely prescription glasses with lens optimised for normal screen distance viewing. I noticed the difference from day one and still do as becomes apparent when I start to view my screen with my normal reading glasses. (The latter incidentally perpetually hang around my neck and have become a sort of a trademark as I am rarely without them). Mind you I admit at times having 3 sets of glasses can get confusing, even with different frame (and case) colour coding. But I always keep my Computer glasses on my desk my first task is to put them on when I view my monitors.

The point I make is that in my opinion it is more important to have your vision checked with screen viewing in mind (here I mean monitors rather than hand held tablets) -assuming like me you view them daily - than puzzling over whether you need a higher resolution monitor. Though of course there is no harm in having both, if funds stretch to same. But glasses with lenses designed for reading computer screens are -if the Optometrist agrees them beneficial - the greater priority.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  19. peter

Why choose a password that's too complicated to remember - are you really that worried about someone else using your Findmypast account?

If nobody else has access to your computer your browser can remember your log-in details. But it's safer to use a password manager, as Bob has suggested. The free LastPass program is highly recommended by reviewers.

20. Where did he suggest that? I made suggestions which seem to have been ignored.