1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Findmypast has new look

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by peter, Dec 17, 2019.

?

What do you think of the new Findmypast look

1. Great improvement

2. Interesting

3. Makes a change

4. Makes no difference to me

5. Don't like it

6. Not sure yet

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

It’s because I have a smallish monitor which is not wide screen, and which I chose specifically because of space issues.

The problem arises from the assumption that screens below a certain number of pixels wide must be mobile devices, which is not always the case.

With the new design of the FMP website the pixel width threshold seems to have been increased again. It’s only been an issue for me in the last 2 or 3 months.

2. OK smartypants, you got me once again! but, how do you know whether I subscribe or not??

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

The same for me and also everything reverts to old style when searching.

4. Pauline

As does mine, but the results come on a new style page.

5. ChrissieML

ChrissieML LostCousins Member

*sigh* yet another site redesigning for the portrait-orientated mobile phone, leaving masses of empty space either side of a landscape computer screen...

Sign of the times and one will just have to put up with it. Gone are the days when if your visitor had to scroll to find something, you'd failed to get their attention... or so the web design lecturer told us.

6. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Does nobody turn their hand-held through 90 degrees to get a landscape view? Regardless, I thought that the beauty of computers is that they can be programmed to take care of such limitations. They certainly used to be capable, so is it the programmers that are now just too lazy?

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I don't think so - not on my computer anyway - it fills the full width of the screen as it always has done.

Nobody can do serious family history research on a mobile phone (even though my phone has a higher resolution than my laptop), and I wouldn't recommend it on a tablet either. If Findmypast or (Ancestry) ever optimise their site for handhelds you can be sure I'll be the first one to complain.
    They can and they are. But there are many different browsers, several different operating systems, and countless millions of users, all with different whims and levels of knowledge and experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ChrissieML

ChrissieML LostCousins Member

My comment was just on the home page that greets visitors, which is what needs to be the most attractive to a newcomer.

At least they haven't rejigged the search results pages overmuch - apart from the contrast between text and background.

9. peter

But the home page isn't narrow - it fills the full (1920 pixel) width of my screen (see the screenshot in my newsletter).

10. Ged Parker

Ged Parker Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

I subscribe to both but often let them lapse and just wait for the half price or special price to plop in

11. But, you miss out on discounts for 'loyalty'.
    It's all different strokes for different folks and dependant on disposable income which isn't much when your income is NZ Superannuation (old age pension).
    The amount is no secret, looking at the right website will reveal all.

12. peter

I don't know if it's still the case, but Ancestry used to charge taxes on top of the advertised subscription price when you subscribed to an overseas site (which for someone in the UK could add 20%). As far as I know Findmypast don't do this.

Something to watch out for, as the total cost won't be known until you get to the payment stage.

13. Repeated for you, Peter.

14. Bob Spiers

Couldn't agree more and would join you in complaining.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bob Spiers

Not my way of working at all and as AHinNZ says you miss out on Loyalty discounts. Besides all year round research cannot await a Black Friday (or any other) special offer.

16. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

I have not "automatically renewed" Ancestry for a some time - ticking "taking a break". I usually get a half-price offer within two weeks - I'll give an update around 16th Jan ;) Not tried the same with FMP.

Phil

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Pauline

I'm with Bob on this one - I couldn't manage without either FMP or Ancestry - even for two weeks. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. LynneWK

LynneWK Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

Having a subscription I have a permeant link to the search pages so don't see the new format. Having googled FMP I get a totally different page than shown in Peters newsletter. I assume this is because I am already a subscriber. The opening dashboard gives links to six boxes. Start your family tree video. Link your Gedcom tree. Explore British and Irish heritage. Help box. FMP Fridays (link doesn't open) and exclusive UK parish records. Does this page follow on from the new updated web page? I would like to know what's in the FMP Fridays link though?

19. Bob Spiers

If your setup defaults to the Search page, you will find the 'new' Dashboard' by clicking on the Findmypast logo (top left). Nothing to do with being a subscriber other than the fact that if not already 'signed in' you will be required to do so, whilst those without a subscription will need to register and subscribe to view content.

If any consolation my FMP Fridays did not open either and just assumed they had no new information to offer. I refreshed the page and tried again and the Friday option no longer showed. I am sure when they have something to offer under this heading, it will hopefully respond.

20. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Well, I have 24813 hints waiting to be rejected - a bit harsh, there may be a few thousand relevant ones and some of those may be new information - so lots to keep me occupied!

I also need to sort out my census database as I'm falling behind with saving the information, without which I cannot add "lost cousins"! Also, with various changes at FMP etc over the last few years, I need to modify my system for printing census transcripts in a "standard" format that includes all relevant data from the image(s).*

Phil

* Some site transcripts are a mess with mixed households and neither FMP nor Ancestry have all the relevant information in the transcripts :(