1. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The 1939 Register

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by AdrienneQ, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I wonder if he had a brother Henry of (and tonight is my guest night) fame?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Marguerite

Marguerite LostCousins Member

The information was there for the taking. Can you honestly blame them? Do you know these people personally? How can you prove it?

3. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I love the occupation of two of my married aunts plus all the other married ladies on the same page: "Unpaid domestic duties".

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

This was the mandated description for housewives (in the instructions on the front of the form).

5. peter

I'm prepared to believe what they told me.

6. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thanks, Peter. Presumably widows didn't count, as my grandmother (avatar) has "None (Independent)" as her occupation. In fact more correct would have been "Retired" as she was in fact a trained nurse and had been employed as such.

7. peter

There's a link to the instructions from this article.

8. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Once again, thank you so much, Peter. Of course I'd read the Newsletter but, for some reason (I hope it was a good one!), didn't follow the links at the time. Now I did, starting with the "re-creation of this broadcast here." I'm sure it wasn't meant to be funny but I couldn't help thinking of a school teacher lecturing young children.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  9. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Me too! disgraceful.

10. peter

It reminded me of the 1990s adverts featuring Mr Cholmondley-Warner, which were in the style of public information films from the 1930s and 1940s. For example:

Life in 1990
    The Working Class

In case anyone from overseas is wondering, or there's someone from the UK who didn't have commercial television in those days, they were advertising Mercury - which was the first company to compete against British Telecom.

11. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Wonderful, Peter, just wonderful. I haven't laughed so much for ages.

12. PaulC

PaulC LostCousins Member

It's been repeated several times, most recently in the last newsletter, but you don't need a 12 month subscription for FMP to open a closed record. I only have a monthly subscription and I've so far had two records opened for my grandparents.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Marguerite

Marguerite LostCousins Member

Thank you PaulC.

I assumed that this would be so.

14. peter

That's news to me - I thought you had to go through TNA and pay £25.

15. PaulC

PaulC LostCousins Member

While we're on the subject, does anyone know if you can access the 1939 register without a subscription? I have another week before my subscription lapses and enough credits to unlock two more households, not sure if I should use them now or hold onto them...

16. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Hi PaulC,
    You do not need a subscription to access the 1939 register.
    You can see the preview without a subscription or credits, and you can access the actual images if you only have credits.
    K

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. PaulC

PaulC LostCousins Member

Thanks Katie, good to know!

18. Bob Spiers

I must admit after spending this last week searching the 1939 Register and accessing (and paying of course) to open those where I think I might discover something new, my conclusion to date is the Register is a useful tool and good at resolving curiosities. The redacted 'officially closed' items are an irritation, but have found none so far to cause me to provide proof of death to get them opened, even if I could. By far the most helpful were full birth dates and addresses; some I knew of course but by no means all, and occupations the same.

One surprise was to discover my parents (and baby yours truly as a closed account) were living with my maternal Grandparents. I expected to find them living in the house from which they were 'bombed out' about a year later during the 1940 blitz bombing of Birmingham. I guessed the other closed account was my mother's youngest brother (who would have been 16 at the time and who lived on to 88 dying in 2011).

I thought the Register might help finding two young children (my mother's nieces) whose mother died in 1932 causing the father to bring up one by re-marrying and moving to Suffolk, leaving the other to be adopted into the family by my mother's Aunt and remaining in Birmingham. I knew the final outcome through family knowledge and research and have had contact over time with each's family, but even so I was surprised to find the separations must have taken place later -likely after the war - rather than earlier, even with both shown in closed accounts (assuming I have guessed correctly of course).

Checking the register on my wife's side also uncovered a few curiosities, including two closed accounts, one of which has us beaten, and may of course be a Lodger. But top of tree is discovering proper birth dates, addresses and occupations. Bottom of the Tree is incorrect transcriptions - particularly second name initials - remembering sooner or later one has to 'pay up and look big' or abandon! Luckily experience teaches to try again with another family member and corroborating information by that means. So far that has proved successful.

I have a few more credits to use but having researched most of the main members and not finding too many surprises, I will keep these in reserve for now.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  19. peter

My dad's record was opened up yesterday - I knew he'd been in the ARP before signing up, but I don't think I knew he was a stretcher bearer.

I asked for it to be opened up on the first day, so it has taken a little more than the 2 weeks they indicated.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Bob Spiers

Just about to go offline and did a final email check. I see in my Inbox there is an email from the ONS re the 2021 Census Response Consultation many of us completed. It offers a download a Summary of the Results so I suggest others check their emails and see what the Summary reveals.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2