1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The 1939 Register

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by AdrienneQ, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Marguerite

Marguerite LostCousins Member

This morning I visited another forum and read that the Reference Number is no longer showing. I checked it out and found this to be true.:(

2. KirstenB

KirstenB LostCousins Star

I found this too. Very frustrating. I presume they found too few people were buying credits as so much could be found without doing so by using the reference numbers. I wish I had looked up more earlier in the week!

3. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Perhaps Peter will check on the validity of this, but sounds 'bullish' enough to be true if their pricing is anything to go by.

4. Marguerite

Good News! It is on your URL. I had trouble reading it correctly but copied it to a Word document and enlarged it. IT WORKS

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. Marguerite

I am now humming Frank Sinatra's song "They can't take that away from me"

6. KirstenB

Thank you that was well spotted. I wonder whether FMP will try to change it. Interestingly having used ref data for some searches this week it has shown up quite a few transcription errors; more than I would have expected.

If I have got this right the oddest “error” I have found related to a set of my great grandparents. My information suggested there should just be the two of them at their address and both should be open as they were born in 1876. In practice I found Emily in the index with a “?” in the middle of her surname (presumably they couldn’t work out what letter it was) and confirmation on the preview that her ref ended in “9”. It also said that there was just one other person in the same household and it was an open record. There was no name given for the household just “Household”. There was no sign of my great grandfather under his surname or any variant. I was pretty sure of their address and a check using the reference number showed that just two individuals records related to that address (based on the numbers for the addresses on either side being ref 10 and 11 on one side and 5-7 on the other). However on looking at the records for their specific address it again had no household name, the first named person there appeared to be an open record but had no name or age but ref no. ending “8” which makes it likely that it was my great grandfather. In addition it stated there were no other open records (although Emily’s is open) just a closed one.

7. Jean999

Jean999 LostCousins Member

I think there are some transcription errors on some of the dates of birth. I was looking up to check if the 1939 entry agreed with the date of birth on a probable death entry. There was a match if I just entered the month and year, but not if I entered the exact date.
    Yet again, the advice of entering less may yield more seems to apply.

8. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Well spotted - I did notice this after your original post but was wary of mentioning it in case Findmypast close this loophole as well. Probably best to keep it to ourselves?
    This usually indicates that the record for the head of household is closed.

9. KirstenB

Thank you Peter that makes general sense so maybe the head of household where my ggmother lived was closed and it wasn't my ggfather. However as one record says there are only two open record people at the address and the other says there is the unaamed person plus one closed record at the address and the ref numbers show only 2 people there it is confusing. If the unamed person is my ggfather as he was born 1876 it should be open.

10. Marguerite

I agree, but how?? Maybe by private messages?

11. peter

What I meant was to keep it in this forum.

12. peter

'76' and '16' are easily confused - it depends on the handwriting. My aunt's record is open, even though she was born in 1916, but it looks as if the date is '76'. If you are getting different results for the same address it could mean that there are two households at this address.

13. Mike

Mike Member

Too late. This is already being discussed elsewhere. e.g. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=734390.0
    where there are some other good tips such as
    - Find an exact DOB from an approximate DOB using free search only
    - Find an address for a person using free search

14. peter

As long as it stays within the two forums it may be OK - the last thing we want is for Findmypast to respond with further changes that make searching more difficult.

15. Marguerite

I think that is wishful thinking. Facebook is apparently alive with comments about the disappearence of the numbers.

The fact that FMP is engaged in such tactics does not endear it to me in the least.

16. Mike

Mike Member

Just because the numbers aren't displayed doesn't mean they aren't there. I easily found them in the pages source code.

[edit] and I am surely breaking FMP's Terms and Conditions
    You must not ... modify, translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Site or parts of the Site

So don't do it!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  17. peter

Isn't taking information without paying for it a bit like shop-lifting?

They have every right to close loopholes - they must have spent many millions, if not tens of millions on this project. Are we going to deny them the opportunity to recover their investment? If that happened it could be a disaster for researchers like us.

18. Mike

Mike Member

Yes but the information we are taking isn't what they are selling. We are just taking a code that makes searching easier. We still have to pay for the data.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Marguerite

I've been a subscriber to FMP for years and I object to being likened to a shop-lifter.

The idea of checking out one or two households by using the refererence numbers was to ensure I had the correct household. Without this information, I would certainly not download the file as the name of the household was unknown to me. With the added "shop-lifting" information I was able to ascertain that it was a relative of mine.

You also said:
    the last thing we want is for Findmypast to respond with further changes that make searching more difficult.
    unquote

and now you find it is right for FMP to close loopholes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. peter

Marguerite, that's exactly my point - as long as we used the extra information responsibly there was no problem, but once people started using them to glean information instead of paying to look at the images it became rather less scrupulous. That's why I said we shouldn't publicise these tips - if everybody knew about them it could cost Findmypast millions, and they would have no choice but to close the loopholes.