1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The 1939 Register

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by AdrienneQ, Oct 27, 2015.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That might be how you use it, but I know of people (not on this forum) who taken a lot of information without paying a penny.

2. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Another endearing thing about FMP:-
    Before the 1939 Register was published, if you bought £24.95 worth of units they lasted for one year.
    Now all unit purchases only last for 90 days.

The Fireworks are going mad round here at the moment :mad:

3. Tony

Tony LostCousins Member

I've only just come across this FMP blog item about the transcription of the 1939 Register. It's dated 3 Nov so I missed it previously. There are interesting explanations of some of the quirks in the Register as we see it.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. peter

Very useful, well spotted.

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I disagree, there is absolutely nothing unscrupulous about gleaning information before deciding to pay out good money. As an old rhyming couplet puts it: "use your skills and nous before paying a sou" ('Caveat Emptor' in another guise).

Who on earth pays for something they do not want? I've lost count of the times I've foraged the free search information available in Data Bases such as 'Scotlands People' and 'Roots Ireland' (and others who insist on you buying credits to view real content) before finally hitting on something for which I will willingly pay. In my eyes and I suspect others it is a 'Catch 22' situation for FMP; close a loophole and you risk losing, and not to say alienating, a good many researchers who might have been induced to buy and use their valuable credits; or leave things be and by so doing stimulate more interest allowing people to finally discover what they seek, and use their credits wisely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. peter

Exactly what I said. So we don't disagree at all.

7. Bob Spiers

Not sure it is what you said Peter, but possibly what you meant. Anyway nice to know we are of one accord.

8. peter

It's also worth mentioning that I haven't heard of a single LostCousins member who has purchased the wrong household.

9. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I agree, it would surely be due to poor research.

10. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I cannot find any of the 1939 data that I've entered onto any of my trees (Roots Magic 6)worse still,one entire tree has gone:eek: Surely this is a software problem rather than a more sinister reason (FMP is watching you!) I must say several times over the years I've opened a rmg tree and been surprised to find a lack of data information that I was convinced I'd previously entered. I've managed to find a gedcom file of the 'missing tree' but it was saved in January, therefore lacking lots of data entered since January.

11. peter

I incorporate the date in the names of my family tree files - which means that, in effect, I have lots of backups saved at different points.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I couldn't help smiling at the introduction to the 1939 Register by Findmypast. At "What is the 1939 Register?" we learn that "... the enumerators were charged with the task of visiting every household in Great Britain and Northern Ireland to collect the names, addresses, martial statuses and other key details of every civilian in the country...". Surely very useful on the outbreak of war!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bob Spiers

Can you imagine the opposite dilemma; enrolling in a class given over to study (as you thought) "Martial Arts" to find you had misread the title? Come to think of it, it's probably been the subject of a comedy sketch already.

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I note that Fmp are showing the name of an additional household member which will help identify it as the correct household.

15. Jean999

Jean999 LostCousins Member

That is what I am finding. The surname from a marriage after 1939 is written first with the surname used in 1939 in brackets.

16. peter

In general what you'll find is that the latest surname in the register appears first, with previous surnames in brackets. If there is more than one previous surname recorded in the register they appear in reverse chronological order.

Searches should find them whichever surname you use.

17. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

I just did a search for part of Winchelsea in Sussex and all but a couple of lines were visible. Seems to have been an aged community by the dates of birth.

18. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I've just come across an interesting household member....Albert H All.... so entering 'All' in the surname on the advanced search form brings up a few Alls followed by a lot of ?Alls. (Please sound yer aitches).

Do ave a look for yourselves;)

19. Bob Spiers

Couldn't resist that could you Mr Hemjay:p

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Perhaps he was fed up with people confusing him with a big building in London

• Creative Creative x 1