1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Just FOUR days to find the owner of this ring!

Discussion in 'Somerset' started by peter, Jul 1, 2015.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I've now confirmed that neither of the sons married, so it doesn't look as if there's a family to return the ring to. Or perhaps there is.... I was told that Ethel's ghost still haunts the farmhouse.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. HowardS

HowardS LostCousins Star

What a bombshell! This renders the brothers' Wills immediately relevant..... And I still think that it would make a fascinating news item!

3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

There is a little popup window (its light grey on white and is designed to be unobtrusive so you might not have seen it) that appears bottom left in the message window as you are typing that says "draft saved" it pops up once a minute. So typically at most you'd lose if you clicked away just before it was about to save would be one minute of typing.

Even if you didn't trust that you can always hover over the navigation buttons and instead of left clicking you right click and say open in a new tab.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Genealogy in the Sunshine 2015

How sad it looks are if there are no direct descendants from the family still I must admit Peter it got our community working well and our brains working overtime.

People have been so good in finding information I hope we can get our HELP forum going soon as most of us would be happy to try and solve some puzzles.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. peter

I've ordered Michael's will since he was the last to die. Apparently Michael never went more than 10 miles from home his entire life - whereas we know that Colin was with the R.A.V.C. in Hong Kong at the time of his mother's tragic death.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HowardS

HowardS LostCousins Star

I agree wholeheartedly, and I intend to contribute (a small amount) towards Peter's expenses in this matter. I hope others who have taken part will do the same.

7. HowardS

HowardS LostCousins Star

I refuse to believe that there is NOBODY to whom the ring could be offered if it were acquired by "us"! The groom had a brother and two sisters, the bride had four brothers and seven sisters......!

It also occurs to me that there was almost certainly a twin to the ring being sold on Bumblebee Auctions.......

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  8. peter

Mr & Mrs Patch looked after Michael in his final years, and they're living in his family home. They've already expressed an interest in the ring, so I feel that they should be allowed to have it - but let's see what Michael's will says.
    Thanks, Howard, but it's not necessary - at the end of the day I shouldn't end up much out of pocket, and if we can get some publicity for LostCousins it will be worth it. (Of course, if anyone who hasn't already got a LostCousins subscription wants to subscribe, that is always appreciated.)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GillT

GillT New Member

I have found a marriage (in British Nationals and Armed Forces Marriages 1796-2005 ref (6)30 FindMyPast) of a Colin G.Jackson to ? Davies in
    1959 in Singapore. No births with wifes name in Singapore till 1966 so not able to check these. Though there is a birth on FreeBMD of a Colin G. Jackson
    mother Davies b.1959 2nd Q in Birmingham ref 9c 45.

10. peter

The bride was Winifred M Davies. There are a few Colin G Jacksons who were born around the right time to have married in 1959, one of whom was born in 1938 and might have been doing National Service in 1959.

Unfortunately we might have to wait 2 weeks for Michael's will - they're quoting a delivery date of 17th July at the moment. The good news is that I'm still winning the auction - what a shame it would be if the ring were to be melted down!

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Quite right, but I fear that the other engraved ring has already been melted down . . . on the other side of the world (at Mt Doom).
    All the more reason to save this one, if possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SnuddenPatH

SnuddenPatH LostCousins Member

Please clarify - is this Forum not only open to Lost Cousins members?
    And posts state that I am a New Member - yes to the Forum, but I have been a LC member for many years.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2015
  13. SnuddenPatH

See my note below about membership please, and explain how to get what Peter said highlighted, if I fail this time!

14. SnuddenPatH

Please ask the police to withdraw this ring from the auction to allow time for the Will to reach you, and to follow up all the other relatives.

15. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

You got it right this time. I edited your earlier one so that is right now too. The new member status is new member to the forum not to Lost Cousins. If you visit your Lost Cousins My Summary page you will find a "Coupon code" you can enter on the forum that will changes your membership status.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. HowardS

HowardS LostCousins Star

Having nothing better to do today than keep out of the heat, I've been searching for nephews and nieces of Herbert and Ethel Jackson. Frustrating business! But I believe I may have found a few who may be contactable.

I think that Herbert was from Southwick, Wiltshire (near Trowbridge), the son of James Jackson (1866-?1945) and Arabella Stafford (1867-1900), born 1891 (4th Quarter) in Westbury, W. registration district. He had a brother Arthur Victor Jackson (1888-1949) and sisters Elsie Edith (1890-?1959) and Dorothy May (1895-1978). Both girls remained spinsters but Arthur probably married Ethel Maud WELLS in Bristol in 1914 (1st Q). He died in Camberwell RD in 1949 (2nd Q).

There are JACKSON+WELLS births in Camberwell district (1912!-1920) which I feel are probably NOT theirs. Another couple (Frederick Jackson and Alice Matilda Wells) were married in Camberwell RD (Peckham) in 1905 and were still living there in 1911; these births are probably theirs.

Assuming that Arthur and Ethel lived in the same area after their marriage, just one potential birth registered in Bristol RD may be theirs: Geoffrey R. Jackson in 1916 (3rd Q). I have not been able to determine with any degree of certainty what became of Geoffrey. He may have been the Geoffrey R. Jackson who served in WW2 as a driver in the RASC, and died in Italy on 1st November 1943. If not, there are several possible post-war marriages....

So, a dead-end on the groom's side. The bride, on the other hand, had eleven siblings....

Ethel Annie Oliver was born at Compton-Martin in CLUTTON RD in 1891 (2nd Q), the daughter of Subpostmaster Mark Oliver and his wife Ada Sarah Carless Moore. As has been mentioned by another contributor, Ethel, unlike her siblings, was absent from home when both 1901 and 1911 censuses (censes?) were taken. This has led one Ancestry tree of the Oliver family to omit her..... however the baptismal records confirm her parents' identities. Although I am fairly confident of having found likely marriages for seven of Ethel's siblings, I have only managed to trace (with reasonable likelihood) a very few lines down to the post-2001 Electoral registers to which I have access. Here (to cut a long story short) they are:

Christopher LONG (born 1st Q 1939 WATFORD) is the only son (4th child) of Ethel Oliver's youngest sister Eva Agnes Hope Oliver (1906-1949), who married Garfield Long 4th Q 1930 CLUTTON. Christopher probably married twice, the second being to Maureen J. Chant 3rd Q 1968 BRISTOL, and had children Nicholas, Andrew, Timothy and Alison. They are all named at the following address: 140 Highworth Crescent, Yate, BRISTOL BS37 4HW

Kirk Stuart LONG
    (born 3rd Q 1966) is probably the eldest son of Christopher Long (above) by a first marriage to Sandra M. Sainsbury 3rd Q 1964 BATH. He married Jacqueline M. Parkes in July 1990 SOUTHAMPTON. They are named (along with a James Long who I have failed to connect) at: 17 Fir Tree Close, Eastleigh, Hants SO 50 7BZ

Tina C. STILL nee Long
    (born 2nd Q 1965 BATH) is the elder sister of Kirt Long (above), i.e. the daughter of Christopher Long and Sandra M. Sainsbury. She first married Marvin A.D. SANDIFORD (August 1991 SOUTHAMPTON) and had Leo and Chelsea, and second married Malcolm STILL (October 1999 WINCHESTER). Tina, Malcolm, Leo and Kirsty Still are named at: 20 Larkspur Drive, Eastleigh, Hants SO53 4HU

Vivien L. RADNEDGE nee Rawlings
    (born 2nd Q 1956 BRISTOL) is probably the grand-daughter of Ethel's next-youngest sister Dora Esther Oliver (1902-1952), who married Ivor L.R. SMITH 2nd Q 1933 BRISTOL, and whose firstborn was Marguerite J.R. Smith (1934-2002), who married Leslie G. RAWLINGS 3rd Q 1953 SODBURY. Vivien L. Rawlings married Christopher RADNEDGE 3rd Q 1973 SODBURY and had children Louise and Niki. They are all named at: 15 Queen's Road, BRISTOL BS16 9QB

I hope I've got all this right (more than happy to be corrected!) and that phone numbers can be found for these relations of our erstwhile matrimonials.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  17. HowardS

HowardS LostCousins Star

I tried to do this, but failed to find a place to enter the code..... however I think Peter must have done it for me anyway, as my status has changed in the last few days from "New Member" to "LostCousins Member" :)

18. SnuddenPatH

I see that somebody is bidding against Peter, and the price is rising. Time to call the cops?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. peter

It's under Personal Details in your profile.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  20. suecar53

suecar53 New Member

with regards to time for wills to be available for download, I ordered two wills on 26 June & they were available on 1st July which was a big surprise so fingers crossed Michaels Will is as quick !!