1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Just FOUR days to find the owner of this ring!

Discussion in 'Somerset' started by peter, Jul 1, 2015.

1. LindaC

LindaC LostCousins Star

I found this I Jackson in Kingswood in current British Telecom phone book:
    I Jackson
    Tel: (0117) 967 8643 - Text Number
    125 Court Road, Kingswood, Bristol, BS15 9QP - Map

There was another Ian Jackson in 1977 in Wellsway. This current one at Keynsham may be connected:
    J Jackson
    Tel: (0117) 986 7999 - Text Number
    102 Wellsway, Keynsham, Bristol, BS31 1JB - Map

also:
    Patricia E Haines, Tibberton, Gloucester, GL19
    Address: Tibberton, Gloucester, GL19 XXX – full address available on Whitepages

Telephone number: Reveal phone number

Other occupants: Juliet Ashwell, James Ashwell, Sally Ashwell, Edward Ashwell, Clive Haines
    I can't follow up this with phone calls because I am in Sydney Australia - Good Luck!!

2. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Congratulations Peter on initiating a very lively discussion drawing in contributions from new members/first time posters

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I'm not suggesting you should call those numbers, but the cost of calling England from Australia surely shouldn't be significantly more than the cost of calling Australia from England? This is 2p (about 4c) per minute using the low-cost 18185 service. Wasn't OneTel (the first low-cost service) founded in Australia?

4. Anne B

Anne B Member

Yes there are ways to make cheaper calls (skype) but one of problems with direct contact between the countries is the time difference with 9 to 12 hour difference they are sleeping/working etc when we are not! :)

5. bejantine74

bejantine74 LostCousins Member

How about contacting Radio Gloucestershire for the Newent relations 01452 308585 ?

6. Catharine

Catharine Member

If all that fails there's several family trees on Ancestry for the mother Ethel Annie Oliver born 1891 in Compton Martin to Mark ans Sarah Ann Oliver .They seem to be put online by one of her eleven siblings.
    One of them may know the address or phone number of closer kin.
    There seems to be nieces and nephews of her younger sister Eva.

Ciderdrinker

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  7. brickwall

brickwall Member

Peter's splendid initiative has certainly inspired great energy by many of us ! I wouldn't want to discourage that energy in any way . However, this is just to point out that a couple of recent contributors are still looking at ways of contacting the Patricia E Haines in Newent , Gloucestershire . Please note the earlier messages by myself ( Number 28 in this discussion ) and by Howard S ( number 30 ). It seems unlikely she can be a descendent because her age ( as stated in one website ) is not consistent with birth in 1961 .Also , HowardS has found it is quite possible , sad to say , that Patricia E Jackson died at the age of 3 .

8. MartinB

MartinB LostCousins Member

If the Police admin staff won't help you could go straight to the Police and Crime Commissioner, Sue Mountstevens. She could do with some favorable publicity.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  9. peter

I eventually managed to register and put a bid in - so please don't outbid me!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Maybe true for Oz but way different for NZ. Before emigrating, I used to call from UK at less than 1p/min using 18185 service. Then in NZ, I found that the cost back the other way was about 15-20 times that! I am now finding that there are cheaper call companies but many use prepay cards which is not very convenient. My brother in Scotland tells me that he has FREE international calls (up to 1 hr duration) using TalkTalk. We could do with them out here to provide a bit of competition.

11. peter

Now, why can't I find them?

12. SnuddenPatH

SnuddenPatH LostCousins Member

Thank you Peter and all contributors for a pleasant diversion on an extremely hot (for England) day. I have enjoyed it all, and perhaps should have signed into the Forum much sooner.

But - (there's always a but or two, isn't there?) - in the cooler light of day I have a niggling feeling that perhaps we have been a bit carried away by the fun of the challenge.
    Reviewing all the posts, I ask myself what evidence have we that any of the people whose phone numbers have been found ARE direct descendants of the owners of the ring?

1. First fact is that Peter found only one marriage of a couple with the initials on the ring, and the date matched.
    2. He suggested two possible sons, and as they are both mentioned on the death report from a newspaper, this matches.

Now the But: what evidence have we that either of those two sons did get married, and to whom?
    Computer indexes show many possible marriages, and subsequent children. Possible is not the same as proof. And Jackson is a common name.

Family trees on Ancestry are not proof either!

I think that one Cousin made a good suggestion. (I would like to go back and check their name, but do not know if this message would be saved if I left the page.)
    That was to look for obituaries of the two sons, to find the names of their family members.

Sorry if I am being unduly pessimistic. I hope to be corrected.
    Pat

13. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

You are quite right, a lot of supposition...just possibilities to confirm or reject, as is often the case for us 'detectives'.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. GillT

GillT New Member

I found some of the info already mentioned and also found a Colin Jackson age 45-49 resident 32 St Marks Road Bath Avon BA2 4PA in 2002
    (on UK Companies House Directors 2002-2014 Trans) , is it worth trying to ring him????? maybe a relative, it looks as if Ethel Annie Oliver had at least 8 siblings
    so there could be a good few cousins around.

15. peter

Yes, it would have been.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. peter

The article states "whose tragic death, at the age of 58, was reported in our last issue" but I looked all the way through the previous week's issue and couldn't see any mention.

Has anyone else found an earlier article?

17. uncle024

uncle024 LostCousins Star

Herbert & Ethel Jackson were living at Whitehole Farm when they died. The farming community tends to be close knit, so it maybe worth ringing current owners?

Current Owners 2013
    Application No 2012/3084
    Applicant: Mr and Mrs Patch, Whitehole Farm, Whitehole Hill, Leigh on Mendip, Somerset, BA3 5QE
    Approve With Conditions 05-Apr-2013
    From 192.com
    John E Patch Whitehole Farm, Whitehole Hill, Radstock, Avon, BA3 5QE 01761 233 839

Not followed that line yet, but the Ivor SMITH mentioned in obit of Ethel married in 1933 her sister Dora Esther Oliver.
    Ivor Lancelot Reason SMITH b 24 jul 1902 died abt Sep 1976

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  18. peter

I'm fairly certain that the Ethel Annie Oliver we're interested in is the Ethel Oliver who was recorded on the 1911 Census living-in at Kingmans Farm, Hemington, Bath - but where was she in 1901? I can only find one Mark Oliver in Compton Martin, and his wife was Ada (not Sarah as implied by the Ancestry tree - which I still can't find). And they don't have a daughter called Ethel in 1901.

19. peter

My first thought was that since it's half a century since Herbert died the present owners wouldn't know anything, even in a close-knit community. But I phoned them anyway, and discovered that they bought the farm from Michael as recently as 2000, so they knew him.

Michael never married, and as far as Mrs Patch knows Colin didn't marry either. I'm going to call back later when Mr Patch is home as he may have further information.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  20. carolk

carolk New Member

I think Ethel is on the 1901 census as Effie Oliver, living with the Caple family in Stanton Prior, Somerset. Emily Caple went on to marry Alfred Paget, and Ethel was with them in 1911. Both sets of families were represented at her funeral, so maybe they were distant family after all.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2