1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

I've made a Match!!

Discussion in 'Meeting my 'lost cousin'' started by Tim, May 18, 2013.

1. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Hi MaryK, but isn't that what this addiction is all about? how boring if we were correct all the time, I enjoy the challenge, prove me wrong I say and sometimes someone will. o_O

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Whenever you get a new match and go to your My Cousins page the next thing you should do is check the My Contact page for that relationship. This displays all of the relatives that both of you have entered, and shows how they are related to each of you.

With this information in front of you it's easy to see whether the person you've found is a cousin, or someone who's only related by marriage. To make it even easier I've added a Match Score at the bottom of the My Contact page.

If you know from the outset whether the other member shares your ancestors or is only related by marriage you're less likely to be disappointed later on.

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

To get to the My Contact page, click on the persons name to the left of the country flag.

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  4. Wendy Cooksey

Wendy Cooksey LostCousins Member

Don't give up Doreen. I have been a member since Dec 2004 and have 345 entries. It took until Dec 2010 for me to have a contact who was not someone I had referred to LC. However it was worth the wait as it was a very very good contact with lots of ongoing emails, photos, certs etc. I also have 2 contacts who have not replied despite several attempts. But--never, ever give up!!!!!!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tim

I've made a match! :)

It's a relation by marriage only, but we've agreed to help each other to expand that branch further.

Can't tell whether he's on the forum or not.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Siobhan

Siobhan LostCousins Member

'
    Looking forward to hearing the news :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. peter

Great idea - after all, the living descendants of the marriage are cousins to both of you.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Tim

Yes, that would normally be true, but it looks like our relations only had an adopted daughter. Still things might change when the next census comes out :)

9. Siobhan

Siobhan LostCousins Member

Sometimes the excitement turns - who would have thought an adoption - commiserations Tim, it happened to me so although a good match and a contact there are no more blood Lost Cousins but at least a family to share

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. Welshlass

Welshlass Member

Heaps of entries but the only matches have been with ''known'' rellies so far. Still waiting after more than a year for another match. Why do people bother if they aren't going to reply?

11. Tim

I know what you mean, I also have one that hasn't replied :(

Have you asked Peter (via the LC website) to try and contact them?

I just assume that maybe they've changed their email address or maybe they are sadly no longer with us.

12. Welshlass

Welshlass Member

Yes, Peter tried, but without success, so have written them off.

13. Tim

For me its another reason why everybody should add all their relatives as quickly as possible, and we should all encourage our fellow genealogists/friends to add theirs as quickly as possible.

14. PK-KTK

PK-KTK LostCousins Member

I had a match after putting in about 50-60 names (I now have about 200 in, and still putting more in), but due to not yet being a subscriber I had to wait until they contacted me.
    But, thanks to Peter's very generous offer recently of being able to contact your matches even if you weren't a subscriber, I took the opportunity and made contact with them.
    They got back to me and it looks like we are 4th cousins once removed!
    I know I'm slow in putting them in, but at least I'm entering them, right?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Tim

Well Done PK! A great result, keep them coming :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Val

Val LostCousins Star

I have 1,992 in my tree on Lost Cousins and made 7 links - 2 relatives and 1 by marriage. The 4 other people I have contacted haven't replied and it's been well over 6 months now.

Am I downhearted - NO, disappointed - YES (we could be sharing information and memories), but I will continue to add census information as you never know who might be out there.

But a plea to Lost Cousin members - if you get a contact please reply, even if to say 'no thanks'.

Off to add more names to my husbands tree.
    Val

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Tim

That's the spirit! :)

18. Val

Val LostCousins Star

Aren't I glad that I added some more names to my husbands tree on Saturday. I have 2 new contacts, and they both replied. One is a 'proper' cousin through our 4th GGP's and she has lots of information I didn't know, and hopefully I can share some things about my tree that she doesn't know.

So t0 everyone who is downhearted because you don't have any matches yet- don't be, you just never know when that census you enter is going to match someone.

From one very excited family historian.
    Val

• Thanks! Thanks! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. peter

Well done, Val - and many thanks for sharing your good news!

Peter

20. Tim

That's great news Val, thanks for posting. :)

• Agree Agree x 2