1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

I've made a Match!!

Discussion in 'Meeting my 'lost cousin'' started by Tim, May 18, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

As long as you add all the members of your Family Tree that have entries in the censuses supported by LostCousins :) If they're important enough to be in your tree and you should add them to LC.

The more distantly related they are from you, the more likely you are to find a new lost cousin.

Keep going, adding 70 every 2 days is a great effort. :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Entry number 1115 gave me a match and it looks very promising -- now to see if I get a reply. Hopefully this will encourage others who aren`t getting a match very quickly to keep entering data!

3. Tim

That's great news, fingers crossed.

4. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Moderator Staff Member

My match potential is 2.8. Is that good or bad?
    I have recently added quite a few more but no change. Of the 5 "cousins" that I have met, I still have not met a new "new cousin" on LC yet, they are all previous contacts from elsewhere.

5. MaryK

MaryK Member

Whoo Hoo ! My match potential is 6.04 - I have been busy today entering a whole branch - and today I have two new contacts ! Dont know yet whether I already know them, but two :D

I have now had a total of 11 responses from new contacts since I joined LC, 7 of those I did not previously know. Including the 2 today I'm still awaiting responses from 5 folk.

Clearly it works - and clearly also the more you put on the better it works.

I now have to spend the evening doing the chores I should have been doing while I was playing historian :rolleyes:

6. Tim

Hi Jacqueline,

There is a brief explanation here.

7. Tim

Two new contacts, that great news MaryK, well done! And a Match Potential of 6.04 is also quite impressive. :)

8. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Tim. So with over 700 entries, my matches are about what I could expect. It's the quality...

9. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, but your Match Potential will also go up as other members add their own relatives, so if the forum is successful in encouraging members (as it already has for a select few) then we can have quantity as well!

10. MaryK

MaryK Member

Yeah ! One contact made - I now have a new 4th cousin in New Zealand !

11. Tim

Excellent result Mary. :)

12. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Peter, unfortunately neither of my two matches have replied - do I e-mail you from the main LC site to have you send a reminder? What info do you need?

13. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

I have finally finished entering my batch of cousins from the 1841, 1881 & 1911 censuses, all 2011 of them! I have a total of 9 contacts, all but one from my 1881 census entries. My match potential is 5.4759.

I've put out feelers to all 9 contacts. Only one has responded so far, but it's early days!

14. Tim

Well done Marion, what a fantastic effort, and well worth the rewards. 9 contacts, just think of all the potential info they must have, they'll be adding more detail to your branches.

15. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, Tim. Took a bit of time, so I am hoping there will be 'rewards'. Whether I get to add details to my tree or not, I'm quite happy to share what I've researched/discovered:)

16. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I have just had an interesting afternoon adding some new "family" members - all very distant I must add. Well, 2 new matches have resulted. It will be interesting to hear from the contacts as the branch of the family I am tracing seems to be determined to stay hidden!

17. Tim

Sounds intriguing, let us know how you get on. :)

18. MaryK

MaryK Member

Ummm ... I have had to un-make some matches :oops:

It turned out that I'd got someone married to the wrong person - so some un-picking has had to be done.

On the bright side - if I hadn't put them on LC and matched I may never have realised I'd made a bloop !

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tim

Every cloud has a silver lining :)

20. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Tim, I have already heard from one contact. A bit disappointing, I'm afraid, as she is related by marriage to the person who is very distantly related to me and he is only a "twig" on her tree. It was nice to hear from her, though. Still waiting for the other one.