1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. Coronavirus Corner - a place to share your hopes, dreams, and frustrations.
  5. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

I've made a Match!!

Discussion in 'Meeting my 'lost cousin'' started by Tim, May 18, 2013.

1. Welshlass

Welshlass Member

I’ve added 100s but the only matches I’ve had have been cousins I already know or have had previous contact with elsewhere, so disappointing for me.

2. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

I hope your family add some relevant ones for you soon then! I have added about 70 households for my family and fewer for my husband's, who I am still hunting !

3. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Superstar

I can understand that, and it was a bit like that for me when I started adding my relatives to Lost Cousins. However, having entered all my close family and moved on to more distant twigs, most of the new contacts I find now are ones I haven't previously been in touch with elsewhere. So don't give up hope!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. pjd

pjd LostCousins Star

I have entered 1568 relatives into Lost Cousins over the last 10+ years, checked FMP links etc & have a match potential of 9.0464. However, I have just 5 contacts, 3 of whom are cousins (1 already known), 1 distantly related by marriage & 1 not related. So STILL hoping!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Like most things in life, matches at LC start slowly and then gradually accelerate. I had several hundred entries recorded before I obtained my first match. I have now been involved with LC a little longer than you (about 15 years) but not as long as some and had been dabbling in genealogy for a few years before that. I now have over 7,000 census references entered at LC which have led to matches with 15 cousins and over 50 non-blood relatives. There are a further 15 members, including some that I have determined are cousins, that have not replied to my contact requests and reminders from Peter. My match potential is over 40. So never give up.

The only part that I can really influence is the number of entries recorded and the census years that they relate to. Much of that is just down to luck and what data is easy to find. As Peter keeps telling us, most matches result from entries recorded for the 1881 E&W census so best to concentrate in that area as much as possible. The rest depends on others, like yourself, entering more and more references in the same areas as me. Eventually, almost every entry will be matched as soon as it is entered but we have to do the groundwork first and build up a base for LC to work its magic on.

Matches come unexpectedly. Some years ago, I had been reading posts by another forum member who had been describing her ancestors living in and around Norfolk, an area where I have few, if any, relatives. Suddenly, a match occurred for an ancestor of mine in Sussex, where she had married the local school master . . . who originated from Norfolk. That opened up a whole new area for me.

• Agree Agree x 1