1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

I've made a Match!!

Discussion in 'Meeting my 'lost cousin'' started by Tim, May 18, 2013.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

wow! I keep hoping, but my match potential is currently at 1.082 :( I think it probably won't get any better because a large number of my ancestors had migrated before 1841, and if they were still in the UK, they were either in Scotland for the 1841 census or gone by 1881!

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

As Peter keeps saying, have you found all your ancestors siblings? And then traced their families forward in time? Not all of them will have left with your family line.

3. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I'm working on that - for the most part it is the direct line to me and all of their children who emigrate, so I'm searching along the top fringes to find members of my father's family in the direct line I can add, then I will slowly branch out. It's a bit more blurred in England for my father's family, I don't know all the connects in some places, so it requires some searching!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tim

And that is the reason why we like genealogy! Bringing out the detective in us :)

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. chrissy1

chrissy1 LostCousins Star

I have got 10 matches from 904 entries........but only 3 are cousins, the rest related by marriage and some fairly distantly. I added a lot more from 1911 recently, but I think that's just about it now.

6. Tim

Well done Chrissy, and there's probably still more out there!

7. chrissy1

There are plenty more, but FTA can't find the census entries in the notes on my ancient version of Reunion (ca 1995 for PC) so it's time-consuming to locate missing entries and some are so distantly related by marriage that I don't really want to include them......but I am considering updating my software - just trying to find the right section of the forum to seek advice.

8. Tim

Have you seen this discussion here Chrissy?

9. chrissy1

Yes I have, thanks Tim. I have read the discussion and formulated a comment but haven't yet entered it..... I am a technophobe - total disaster with computers and have been contemplating changing my software for 3-4 years now. You don't happen to know which program succeeded Reunion for PC - was it called Generations? Has it since been developed and is there a similar modern program?

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  10. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Do your notes have census references in the notes or is it just names ages and places?

11. chrissy1

Alexander - no I haven't got references, just address, names, ages, occupations and places of birth.

12. Peter356

Peter356 LostCousins Member

Within only 2 days of subscribing I have found a sixth cousin with whom I am comparing notes and two other 'new' cousins whom I am waiting to hear from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Moderator Staff Member

I need to find a way to see the plentiful new 1881 entries I've very recently added -thanks to "Hints" to my FT on Ancestry (I've finally bitten that bullet because of hoping to find dna matches) However I have finally identified a cousin in a dna match on Ancestry, which was submitted only a few months ago. I can't get anywhere with the FTdna matches which were sumbitted several years ago. So my newly found cousin on Ancestry is to be invited to join LC!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tim

Well done guys!

15. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Recently matched with a 5th cousin, and busily swapping info.
    This cousin was quite startling, as I logged on and routinely searched for new matches and was in short order told I had NINETEEN matches and a new cousin. I have before had 5 or 6 new matches, as one household is held in common, but this was new LC member who had diligently entered several households. A pleasant surprise for both of us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

That's great Liberty!

17. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Using my 3 months free sub to Ancestry that came with my new FTM programme (?) I was pleased to find someone who had my grandparents in their tree. Well, we made contact and it seems that our great grandfathers were brothers! Amazing! Most of her entries were unsourced and I enquired about her sources also confirming that I was happy to share what I had. Her reply was that she didn't have the sources but she was sure that they were all genuine entries. She didn't seem interested in continuing the correspondence and I haven't heard from her since. Why bother, I ask?

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Assuming you still have access to her tree,check out /confirm the info for yourself.

19. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Moderator Staff Member

Yes Margery, Ancestry and long before that, Genes Reunited, are full of people who add other peoples' relatives to the the appropriate bits of their trees, but are not really interested in the people they "borrow". If people don't tell you their sources, they may have got the information from another tree and not know themselves. I think real "Lost Cousins" would snap your hand off - I do! And when you find one, they can be a treasure trove - or you will to them!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. chrissy1

I have had an early version of my tree 'offered' to me by other researchers who were unable to confirm their sources.......but ongoing errors which I was unable to alter on Ancestry World connect tree identified it unmistakably as my research!!