1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

I've made a Match!!

Discussion in 'Meeting my 'lost cousin'' started by Tim, May 18, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't sound like you're using FTA? ;)

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

'Fraid not - is that a heresy here? :eek:

I started researching back in the dark ages, and initially everything was recorded on paper. And without online indexes and images, unless your family was considerate enough to stay put (which mine mostly weren't), finding them in the different censuses was often a matter of luck or extensive trawling - usually requiring a trip either to London or the relevant county to view the records.

Moreover, when I purchased my first family history program, it wasn't really designed for entering census information, so when I got my own genealogy website I entered census information (as and when I found it) there instead.

So one way and another I've never got around to entering census details into my family history program.

OK - that's enough shocked gasping for now!:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tim

LoL no, but it's excellent at finding Exactly that sort of thing!

But what a fascinating journey you've undertaken!

4. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

Had a busy Christmas and New Year so didn't manage to enter any new Lost Cousins relatives in time for the competition. However … I entered a couple of families a few days ago and made a match!! Have made contact and waiting for a reply. :)

5. Tim

Great news!! :)

6. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Three new matches in the last 2 days - so cool! Love to see that little "1 new match" pop up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PK-KTK

PK-KTK LostCousins Member

I found a match a few weeks ago but had to wait until this past free weekend to initiate contact with them, and the emailed back very quickly! We've been emailing a few times today - they are 5th cousins with my mother!

8. Val

Val LostCousins Star

That's great news. But mine is 'possibly' even better (well for me anyway). Another Lost Cousins member found 'me' and made contact. Great news, until I found that I had made an error with the marriage (there were 2 Carolines married on the same index number and I picked the wrong one!). So for me it was great, because I got to find out my mistake and correct it. Don't worry Peter, I've changed it all on the Lost Cousins website so I now have the 'right' census there.

I feel bad for Tricia though as I was her first contact and it turned out not to be so good for her, but I'm hoping I can share with her some photos of Lydbrook with her that we took when we visited as that's where her Caroline is from. I'm also hoping she'll get another correct match soon.

So even 'wrong' matches can turn out to be a godsend. Keep adding those censuses!

9. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Quite right, Val, and on those rare occasions when things go wrong please let me know so that I can remove the spurious connection. (Though in this case I won't just yet in view of your comments about sending photos.)

10. Val

Val LostCousins Star

You can remove the connection if you would as I have the contact's email address. Reply off line if you want to know the connection to remove.
    Val

11. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

It's a bitterly cold morning and I am off to deal with a possible frozen pipe in a while so I was delighted to open my email and find a note from Peter about a new"cousin" who has suddenly appeared, and ended almost 18 months of no luck. Granted it is only a third cousin X 2 removed of mine with a match rating to her of .66 but it's down a large branch of the family that has "lost cousins" who DON'T RESPOND ( Peter has done his best) . Trouble is that I've put that branch to one side for now and will need to dust off the cobwebs to make it presentable. Anyway I hope she will respond because I feel guilty about my on line status as a "Lost Cousin Star" with a potential for all kinds of interesting matches.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Tim

Congratulations on your match Britjan.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rainfordlass1AA

Rainfordlass1AA LostCousins Member

I grew up with no Uncles, Aunts or Cousins as my Mother was an only child and my Father's brother died during the WWII aged 18. However, I've found a few 'matches' one of which is a live cousin who is the daughter of my paternal grandmother's brother which I never knew she had. At some point I shall make the journey down to meet her.
    Another match was a live distant cousin of my Maternal Grandmother's. Thanks Peter and Lost Cousins.

14. DianeSG7

DianeSG7 LostCousins Member

Very pleased for you Rainfordlass, hope you do get to meet. :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. Willibrod

Willibrod LostCousins Member

I am pleased to read about all the success stories . The only connection I made so far are through a 3rd great grand uncle and 4th great grand mother . Not forgetting the boarder of my 1 st cousin 4 times removed .
    My Irish mother and a Scottish great grand father appear to be disadvantage for this hobby .

16. Tim

Your time will come!! Keep entering those ancestors, you'll see :)

17. Willibrod

Willibrod LostCousins Member

I am not complaining. I do enjoy a good puzzle

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

I know I shouldn't be surprised at how accurate the match potential is, but it still does surprise me! I've watched mine grow to 9.5 and I have actually had 10 matches. Of course not all of them have turned out to be fruitful, but that tiny thrill of seeing '1 new match' won't get old!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I agree about the ongoing thrill of making new matches. However, my match potential hasn't proved very accurate - it's currently just over 4 and I've matched with 7 cousins and 9 relatives!

I'm not complaining about it though .... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Wow, that's terrific!

• Agree Agree x 1