1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Maybe Peter can shed light on how many unique names have been entered for 1881?

The number of people on the 1881 census were 29,707,207

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

It would actually be possible given the structured nature of census references to work out the coverage by County too.

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. Tim

Yes, although interesting, would publishing them make people think about not entering data if their county is on the low side?

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That's why I decided not to do it.

5. Alexander Bisset

However if you did it by larger region eg: SW, SE, London, NE, NW, W Midlands, E Midlands kind of thing you could frame it as a challenge to best improvement in county region (as a percentage).

Note you don't have to disclose the figures in this manner. You could use something like "match potential" per county area.

6. Tim

We just need people to add loads more ancestors :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 32 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,236 new entries have been added and
    • 362 relatives have been matched.
    Coming back down to "pre-competition" sort of levels. But it's important to remember that in that period 18,865 new ancestors were added. And this will have a positive effect for all of us going forward.​
    This can clearly be seen by the match ratio, which this week is an impressive 6.2 Maybe this is evidence of the cascade effect? :)
    Do you have 7 people you could add? The chances of getting a match are within your grasp.​
    I keep talking about FTAnalyzer, which is written by one of the staff members here, but I've found it the easiest way to see who I can add to Lost Cousins . If you haven't tried it, then you should, and there's loads more features available as well! And did I mention it was free??? Amazing.

Here's a graph that shows the progress and how well everyone is doing.

graph01.jpg
    Well done everybody :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 40 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,051 new entries have been added and
    • 35 relatives have been matched.
    Bit of a slow week, everyone out Christmas shopping? Or maybe exploring the new Maps features in FTAnalyzer?

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
    graph01.jpg

9. Alexander Bisset

Somewhat odd that there were only 35 matches when Tim claimed to have well over a hundred appear in one go.

10. Tim

Yes, I had also been puzzling about that and it was 238 :)
    I wish I had taken a screen shot now!

The red ticks are still there. And they do still show on my cousins page, so I'm not going mad!!

11. Alexander Bisset

Maybe Red Dragon's got his sums wrong.

12. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Tim, you may find that most of those relatives with red ticks were already matched with other cousins, ie they already had a blue or grey tick.

13. Tim

Hi Peter, just checked them all, I have 238 red Ticks. None of them appear to be matched to anyone else if I click on the Red Tick.

14. Tim

No, I can't believe he would do that!

15. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

. . . but Tim has 238 ancestor matches, not living relatives that have just been matched.

Perhaps Tim's matches are all with the same (living) person or only a couple of people and they have 238 shared ancestors?

16. Red Dragon

Really? :(

17. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 42 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 1,798 new entries have been added and
    • 63 relatives have been matched.
    Another slow week, the time of year or everyone still out Christmas shopping? Or maybe exploring the new Places features in FTAnalyzer?

Here's a graph showing the activity over at the Lost Cousins site.
    graph01.jpg

18. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

. . . by how many members?

19. Tim

I don't believe that information is recorded, but maybe Red will know for sure?

20. Red Dragon

That information is not available to me, sorry.