1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 64 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,401 new entries have been added and
    • 45 relatives have been matched.
    Here's a graph that shows the progress and how well everyone is doing.
    Bit of a quiet week this week. Its the highest number of new members, so hopefully in the coming weeks as they add their ancestors, we should get to see lots of new matches! Well done everyone!
    graph01.jpg

2. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

One of those matches was me. It's a new cousin and we are in touch.

3. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

That's great!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Great news, you should add a post here.

5. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 39 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 3,882 new entries have been added and
    • 83 relatives have been matched.
    Not a bad week, new entries went up and new relatives matched also went up.
    But I'm predicting great things for the next couple of weeks! Peter has offered a FREE Ancestry Premium membership to someone who enters a relative between now and Nov 5th!!! So don't delay, do it today! Get them in.
    Use FTAnalyzer to find them for you and then quickly enter them! You have nothing to lose and EVERYTHING TO GAIN!!!
    The more you enter, the greater chance you have of winning. So come on everybody, lets get busy!

graph01.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  6. Tim

Thanks Red Dragon!! I know what I'll be doing for the next couple of weeks. Using FTA and then adding what I find to the LC website. :cool:

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That's right, Red Dragon, and I'm expecting some fireworks!

Make sure you're the guy on your relative's My Cousins page rather than the Guy on the bonfire!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Liberty

Can we get a random entry into the comp if we've been putting them in already? I find I have 4910 LC entiries and I surely am running out of new possibilties.....:)

9. peter

Sorry, Liberty, the competition isn't aimed at the handful of extremely prolific members like you - it's aimed at the other 99.9%, some of whom haven't even begun to search for their 'lost cousins'.

But who are they most likely to be matched with when they do eventually get their act together - why, it's members like you! The top 0.1% of members have made 30% of all the entries - so whenever there's a new match there's a 30% chance that it will be with one of you.

10. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

An interesting statistic Peter. Now isn't that perhaps a new alternative approach to take? A new slogan "Be one of the top 1%".

The line would be "Join the 1% club! The top 1% of LC members has X% of the entries which means whenever ANY new match is made on the site it is X% likely that it will be you if you are in the 1% club. Start today, Don't Delay!"

Might mention "You only need to enter Y ancestors to join the 1% club".

NB. I chose 1% as it's easier to parse in a sentence than 0.1%

11. peter

Today there were about three times as many relatives entered as on an average day this month - 1446. Let's hope it keeps up!

12. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Perhaps LC members searching is something to do with FMP experiencing high demand on it's site? (Both yesterday and today)

13. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 41 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 8,301 new entries have been added and
    • 197 relatives have been matched.
    WOW!
    8,301?! Amazing!
    A new record high for relatives added. And I would think that there will be plenty more this week which means a bumper crop of new matches.

graph01.jpg

Peter's offer of a FREE Ancestry Premium membership to someone who enters a relative between now and Nov 5th is still available.
    So don't delay, do it today! Get them in.
    Use FTAnalyzer to find them for you and then quickly enter them! You have nothing to lose and EVERYTHING TO GAIN!!!
    The more you enter, the greater chance you have of winning. So come on everybody, lets get busy!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. Alexander Bisset

In case people haven't tried FTAnalyzer for a while there are new features on the Lost Cousins tab to show you counts of the numbers of people you are missing. It also then at a click of a button lists the people who you have yet to enter.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  15. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 39 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 5,815 new entries have been added and
    • 438 relatives have been matched.
    WOW WOW WOW!
    438 matches! That's a new highest since May! That awesome result gave us a match ratio of 13.27, which is also a new record. Just think, roughly every 14th person added got a match.

Over the last 2 weeks, over 14,000 relatives have been added and 635 matches have been made.
    Isn't that an amazing effort by every one? It just shows you what can be achieved when people put their mind to it.

And I want to read about your successes in this discussion, I've made a Match!

FTAnalyzer just keeps getting better and better. It shows you where you have data errors, it shows you where you have Birth's, Marriages, or Deaths missing for people, it shows missing census records, it shows you who you can add to Lost Cousins and loads more! A very very useful analysis tool. And now, it has maps! It takes the locations out of your tree and displays them on a current map, so you can now see where your ancestors were, how close they lived and how they moved. And it's also got an Historic Map. And lots of new features are planned.

Well done Alexander, a great job, I just don't know how you manage to accomplish so much in so little time. This is for you clapping.gif

graph01.jpg

16. Liberty

This is a terrific result, Red Dragon.
    I wonder how much it is the result of Alexander's amazing software, and how much it's Peter's carrot and how much it's 'just' the word getting around.
    But as ever I am left thinking grumpily. "Why aren't MY cousins putting entries in the site?" (my match potential is one and a half higher than my matches)
    Ah well, one day the flood gates will open......

17. Tim

I think you're right, it's probably all 3. But Peter's carrot gave them the incentive and Alexander's FTA gave them the ability. :)

But don't be too down hearted, and I think you have the right outlook. Your cousins are out there, and one day soon.....

So keep finding your ancestors, find their siblings and offspring, and keep adding them to Lost Cousins. That's where I'm finding most of my current Lost Cousins.

18. Alexander Bisset

Bear in mind that so far FTAnalyzer has mainly been mentioned in Peter's newsletter as a means of checking for births to older parents. Nothing has yet been said to suggest to newsletter readers that they could use the program to actually help enter people onto the Lost Cousins website. I suspect the numbers we are seeing now would be small if people actually knew the program could help them enter data rather than trying the older parents challenge and finding out by accident about its extra features. :)

19. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 42 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 4,749 new entries have been added and
    • 841 relatives have been matched.
    WOW WOW WOW WOW!
    841 matches! That's a new new highest since May! That awesome result gave us a match ratio of 5.6, which is also a new new record. Roughly every 6th person added got a match! I'm hoping we've hit the cascade effect :)

And I want to read about your successes in this discussion, I've made a Match!, please?

Here's a graph that shows the progress and how well everyone is doing. Just look at that green line take off! It's almost off the chart!!
    graph01.jpg

Well done everybody :)

20. Alexander Bisset

An impressive leap skywards. In theory at some point a critical mass is reached at which point almost everyone in the 1881 census has been entered at least once thus every new entry gets a match. Obviously we aren't quite there yet. However even if only 1 in 6 people have been entered from the 1881 census then it still means that on going the rate of matches will be 1 in 6 on average.

That said it could just as easily be that we are at around 1 in 10 people on the 1881 census entered and there happened to be a higher match rate. Still the good news is that due to the way the site works the more that's entered the more likely it is that matches will happen.