1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

How You can Help Yourself to Taste Success!

Discussion in 'How to decide who to enter' started by Red Dragon, May 10, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Doh, how did I get that so wrong? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

Well I think if you spend a few days in hospital or an hour or so waiting somewhere else it's a perfect place to bump into a "lost cousin" . Once you're post-op I'm sure you'll find some time where you will get into conversation with near strangers to relieve the boredom. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GillW

GillW LostCousins Member

All the best for your op.
    I guess Tim was half right - you may have one foot up to rest your knee - while doing your FH research.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I notice there is a new feature that lets me see where I have made a contribution to a thread I am following like this one. Great idea but I also noticed that when some of these new forum ideas started off we were a bit stingy with our "smilies" and Likes etc. I've gone back several months in some cases to early days even prior to joining to add this simple gesture of support and will try to remember to do it from now on. Naturally we don't want to clutter up the forum with one or two word posts but we've been given the perfect tool, so as more join the forum I'd like them to feel they were contributing to the "taste of success" etc.

5. Red Dragon

Red Dragon LostCousins Megastar

Hi Everyone!

Here's a weekly update on how well people have been doing over at LostCousins.
    • 52 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 5,751 new entries have been added and
    • 191 relatives have been matched.
    Here's a graph that shows the progress and how well everyone is doing.
    This is what I said last week, "Peter's great piece in his last newsletter I'm sure will revitalise some people into checking and adding some more ancestor to Lost Cousins. And when people discover how easy FTAnalyzer is to install and use, I'm sure we will see lots more entries in the coming weeks." Wow, that certainly happened! Check these results! Our highest number of new entries added and our highest number of new matches!!
    Amazing work everyone. :)
    graph01.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  6. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Just to add to what Red Dragon has said, the number of relatives entered in August and the number of matches made were the highest in any month for over a year. If we can do that in summer, just think what we can do in the middle of an English winter!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Tim

Peter, I think this just goes to show what an impact your Newsletter has.

I realise it must take a huge amount of work to produce and I thank you for it.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  8. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 49 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 5,609 new entries have been added and
    • 296 relatives have been matched.
    2nd week running we've had over 5,600 new entries added, and this weeks relatives matched of 296 is the highest since I started recording the figures.

This looks to be continuing to build on last weeks success, so well done everybody, Great Job!

graph01.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

I'm not sure of the maths involved, but does this increasing number of matches suggest we are reaching some significant number? Is it like the old problem of 'how many socks do you have to pull out of the drawer before you have a pair?' At some point we must have so many cousins entered that matches become more likely than not. There's a 'Birthday problem' where the answer is that that you only need 23 people for it to be more likely than not that two of them have the same birthday - have we reache the equivalent for cousins?

10. Tim

Hi Liberty,

That would be great, wouldn't it? To be at that point where every person in the 1881 census had been added at least once. And when anybody then joined, they would have to match with someone already a member.
    To quote from the very 1st post.
    Every household we add gets us to that point where making matches becomes almost a certainty of matching with someone else.

Lets keep adding!! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

It would be interesting if Peter was able to produce some stats on numbers entered for 1881 perhaps by County?

12. Tim

I was thinking something similar. It would be quite interesting to see which areas had been added and how many.

13. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I don't have figures by county, but I can tell you that the coverage of England is better than for both Wales and Scotland. In the case of Scotland it's because the 1881 Census isn't free online as it is for England & Wales, in the case of Wales it's because it's much more difficult to identify the right people on the census, which means that fewer relatives from collateral lines have been entered.

The analogy with the birthday problem is a good one - I use a similar calculation to calculate the Match Potential. However whilst you might only need 23 people in a room for there to be a better than even chance of 2 people having the same birthday, remember that there are still 21 people in the room whose birthday doesn't match any of the others.

As Red Dragon pointed out, in the post that Tim quoted earlier, we don't need to persuade new people to join LostCousins in order to get the snowball rolling, we only need to encourage the existing members to do what we have done. And that's where the forum comes in!

14. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 49 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 3,406 new entries have been added and
    • 183 relatives have been matched.
    So a drop in new entries this week and a corresponding drop in new matches. However, this weeks new matches is still the 3rd highest since recording began. And so this is the second week running where the ratio of new entries to matches is about 18.

Basically, every 18th person added is getting a match to someone else.

So come on everybody! The nights are drawing in in the Northern Hemisphere, and its getting wet and cold and miserable :(

But hey!! That means its the ideal time to enter our ancestors at Lost Cousins!! :)
    graph01.jpg

15. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 46 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 5,106 new entries have been added and
    • 231 relatives have been matched.
    Here's a graph that shows the progress and how well everyone is doing. Another good week for new entries and new matches.
    It's lovely to see the graph reflecting what I keep saying, the more you enter the more likely you are to make a match. Good Luck everybody!

graph01.jpg

16. Carla

Carla LostCousins Star

Well I keep adding relatives bit by bit, and had two new matches in the last few weeks, although neither are for direct ancestors. I have been able to find out some bits of information that will help me from one kind 'cousin' who has also shared copies of certificates today with me. :D. I am still waiting for a repy from the other person but it has only just been over a week and a bit so i will leave it a bit longer.

17. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 29 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,358 new entries have been added and
    • 68 relatives have been matched.
    A small downturn in numbers this week, but that does happen. Perhaps people are discovering the joys of FTAnalyzer and correcting their data, which in turn will lead to new people to add to Lost Cousins. Good luck everyone!

graph01.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

The new versions of FTAnalyzer should make it easier to see gaps in your data and where you can add more relatives. The colour charts have been updated and extra means of detecting if you've entered census facts have been added so you can see who needs to be entered to Lost Cousins even easier. So if you haven't used the program recently you should check out the new version.

Coming soon :-
    • A timeline map to see all your ancestors on a Google Map by the year.
    • Merged Ancestry.co* facts will show the piece/folio/ed etc info that they tag and is used in the Lost Cousins website. Thus making it even easier to enter data to Lost Cousins.
    • A video on how to use FT Analyzer to enter data onto Lost Cousins.

• Useful Useful x 3
  19. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 52 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,246 new entries have been added and
    • 86 relatives have been matched.
    Not much change this week, a small increase in new matches. The new entries to relatives matched ratio is about 26, which is still better than average. Good luck everyone!

graph01.jpg

20. Red Dragon

Hi Everyone!

• 44 new members joined the LostCousins site
    • 2,796 new entries have been added and
    • 161 relatives have been matched.
    Not much change this week, but still a large increase in new matches! The new entries to relatives matched ratio is about 17, so every 17th person added made a match! Well done everyone!
    graph01.jpg