1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Help Needed!!

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Tim, Aug 24, 2013.

1. NevilleO

NevilleO LostCousins Member

Alexander

There's 'something' very odd going on at this end, it looks like it's a touch of the gremlins. When I took a screen shot of the window without scroll bars to send to you the scroll bars were present (on the screenshot)!!! By <Alt>+<PrintScreen> and <Ctrl>+<V> in 'Paint' the scroll bars became visible and operable. I've not been 'on the bottle'. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program but nothing changed. No tool bars but tool bars on the screen shot. Not seeing something that's there!!! Let's bring this discussion to an end, it's obvious my desktop doesn't like 'something'. I'll try the program on my laptop and see if I obtain the same results.

Thank you for your trouble, Neville

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

3. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

No, that's Magic! :cool:

Maybe there are some components of the Operating System missing or not to the latest version?

4. Alexander Bisset

You've probably done this already but its worth checking you have applied all the latest Windows updates. Microsoft are constantly updating the .Net 4.0 client profile that FTAnalyzer relies on.

5. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Hi emjay,
    I, too, use PAF5 and am wondering if you have had any further success with this?

6. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I am not at home for a couple of days,but will post some instructions for you this week. Don't know how far you have got,but the gedcom export is quite straight forward.

7. Doreen

Doreen LostCousins Star

Yes, the gedcom export went well, but all my census info is in my notes and wondering (hoping) you've found a way to enter the census date that will be compatible with FTA.

8. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Yes I have but it is a bit labourious, I too had all my census info as notes. I've left the non LC years in my notes, and entered the 1841,1881,and 1911 as 'Census facts'. I'm working from my iPhone (now) with no records to hand, but on the edit person dialogue box,you will see top right 'options'? Click and a list will appear including 'Census'. Select then enter as for other facts. You will need to repeat this for each census year that your selected person would have appeared on. It seems to me that this will have to be repeated for each applicable person. Well seems I've managed to give instructions after all!?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Sorry Doreen, forgot 'new attribute' after 'options' to bring up the list of facts.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. cfbandit

cfbandit LostCousins Member

Hi Tim and the other LC forum members, I'm having some trouble with my FTAnalyzer - its telling me I have 685 census facts but no LostCousins facts. How would it know that from just my Ancestry member tree GED? Am I missing a place where I'm supposed to log in?

And then when I run the LC report, its telling me censuses are missing for people that aren't in that place, i.e. it's telling me I'm missing a 1911 UK census for my grandfather, who lived his entire life in the US/Canada?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

11. Alexander Bisset

What version are you using cfbandit? Version 2.2.1.1 had issues with census places that "should" be fixed in v3.0.0.2 which is the current version out yesterday. The only other reason for it getting that wrong would be how your grandfathers fact locations are recorded. Could it be that the location data doesn't actually mention Canada or US and just has a placename? In which case how can the program guess where you meant? A small GEDCOM snippet of your grandfather's data would help identify the problem if it still exists in v3.0.0.2.

As for your Lost Cousins facts it is likely you have never actually entered a Lost Cousins fact on your Ancestry Tree. In fact if you only ever use the website I'm not at all sure HOW you'd enter a Lost Cousins fact onto the Ancestry Tree. Perhaps Tim knows?

The program doesn't login to your Lost Cousins page, nor have any access at all to your Lost Cousins details, for one thing I'd not want to have users entering usernames and passwords into the program as that just isn't great for security. So the only way it can possibly know if you have entered those people onto the Lost Cousins website is if you add a fact to your tree to tag those people you have entered.

Hope this helps.

12. cfbandit

Yea! This helps a lot. Thanks! Yes, I am using 3.0.0.2.

It's been a *long* time since I've used a GED, but I think this might be the right part?

1 NAME Daniel James /Graves/
    2 SOUR @S-2098822725@
    3 PAGE Year: 1930; Census Place: Pontiac, Oakland, Michigan; Roll: 1017; Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 59; Image: 601.0.
    4 TEXT Birth date:abt 1908 Birth place:Michigan Residence date:1930 Residence place:Pontiac, Oakland, Michigan
    4 TEXT Birth date:20 Feb 1908 Birth place:Residence date:1993 Residence place:Alger, MI
    3 PAGE Year: 1930; Census Place: Pontiac, Oakland, Michigan; Roll: 1017; Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 59; Image: 601.0.
    4 TEXT Birth date: abt 1908Birth place: MichiganResidence date: 1930Residence place: Pontiac, Oakland, Michigan
    1 RESI
    2 DATE 1911
    2 PLAC Hastings, Ontario, Canada
    2 SOUR @S-2099281213@

(Admin edit: Thanks for the GEDCOM snippet. I've removed the URL links as they linked to your personal tree)

13. Alexander Bisset

Hmm yes my "fix" for checking the country is checking if you have a UK census and colouring accordingly. I'd not thought through the situation where they had a different country census. So it checks do you have a UK census - nope - ok he needs one. When it should check do you have a 1911 census if so then is it for non UK - if so then the box should really be grey (probably a different shade from the not alive shade) to indicate that the person wasn't ever going to be on the UK census as they are known to be elsewhere.

One of the biggest issues with the colour coding at present is dealing with places. Unfortunately this chart at present is highly UK centric. What I really need is something that effectively tracks the expected country for someone for every census year. The excludes or includes them accordingly. Indeed the colour chart should have the option to flip to US or Canada census dates. That's a likely scenario for future update but not in the immediate future until I've got a better idea of how to handle the expected country issue.

The problem is essentially you and I can tell from 3-4 facts which country someone was likely to be in but how can the computer tell? At present it assumes UK for most things, I am well aware that this isn't a great assumption and it is something that needs to change somehow.

I can do the different shade of grey thing (NB. only 2 shades of grey NOT 50 :oops: ) quite soon.

14. cfbandit

That makes perfect sense - it's something to think about but not quite ready yet. I suspect it will take you awhile to figure it out. If LC ever goes more global I think Australia and New Zealand also have a 1911.

I'll keep with the manual lists then. Thanks for your help!

15. Tim

Here's a link to the documentation for FTAnalyzer. And here's the detail on how to add a Lost Cousin fact to FTM online version. Do a couple, try a new export of the gedcom and see if FTA now recognises the new Lost Cousins Fact.

To create the Lost Cousins event in Family Tree Maker on Ancestry (online version) follow the procedure below:
    • On the Overview tab for a person
    • Click on + Add Fact
    • From the drop down list select Custom Event
    • In the Title field type Lost Cousins
    • In the Date field type 1841 or 1881 or 1911
    • Click Submit

16. cfbandit

I will do that! Thank you so much! You and Alexander are the best! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Tim

We try our best, thank you.

18. Alexander Bisset

Many thanks, glad to be of assistance.

19. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Hi Tim,
    You will have to go back to the first page of the discussion to find our original conversation.
    I have just upgraded from Family Historian version 4 to Version 5.
    My Lost Cousins Facts were still there in version 5, but the Lost Cousins Fact Template that I set up using your instructions had gone.
    I followed the instructions from the FTAnalyser website and they worked perfectly and I understand number 7 now.
    Clear all the "Fields Required" except "Date"
    There are other fields to clear now, that were not there in Version 4.

I thought you would like an update.

20. Tim

Cheers Katie.