1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Help Needed!!

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Tim, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Do you use any of these Family Tree software?

Ancestral Quest

Family Historian
    Legacy Family Tree
    Roots Magic
    The Master Genealogist

Yes? Then I need your help please. I'm trying to complete the help pages on the FTA website.

If you go to this FTAnalyzer help page for FTM2012, you will see the sort of help instructions I'm looking for. Basically, how to create/export a gedcom file and how to create a Lost Cousins Fact for your piece of software.

If you could post your reply here, then I will add it to the documentation.

Many Thanks in advance for your help. :)

2. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

I have just added the instructions for Legacy Family Tree 7.5.
    I don't' actively use the program but have run a test and it all works.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Tim

That's great Trebor, thank you.

I just need some of the other people who use different software to come forward now.

4. trebor

Tim - I only found your post because I suddenly had the whim to look at all of the "Whats New" list. It took me quite a time to complete the task - and it probably has started to fill up again.

I am sure that a lot of people do not have or care to use their time to do this - there are getting to be quite a few postings.

Just a suggestion - would it be within the T & C of the forum to email all forum members advising them when there is a new discussion to look at. I assume that this could be done automatically so would not create extra work for anyone.
    If the title is informative enough, along with the section it is in, this may cause more people to find more discussions of interest to them.

5. trebor

I have just noticed that a few comments including advice on the use of some of these programs have been added to the relevant Documentation pages.

6. Tim

What would be best would be the banner message, easier and then we could keep it to the more important posts/requests. I wouldn't want emails because I would get loads!

7. trebor

I hadn't thought about the quantity and in time it will get worse as the forum grows.
    Problem with a banner though is that when you get to the bottom of the page (like now) the existing banner is out of site - could it be fixed in position so the messages scroll but not the banner?

8. Tim

Its a nice thought, but I don't know. The banner will stay there until you close it.

9. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

Tim

I've created a Word (.DOCX) document that describes (with screen shots) how to create the Lost Cousins fact and how to Export a GEDCOM using RootsMagic (v 6).

It can be found on-line in my SkyDrive here.

If you can't access it or need it emailed let me know.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. Tim

Norman,

Many Thanks, I've loaded the page now here, can you do me a favour please and proof read it?

11. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

Seems OK but the image file names are displayed along with the screen shots.

12. Tim

Ok, I've removed them now, thanks for your help.

13. linda

linda LostCousins Member

Hello Tim
    I use Family Historian. Glad to help, but I'm not very good with computer jargon and technicalities.

14. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Tim, can you confirm which programs you still need help with so that I can update the scrolling message?

Thanks,
    Peter

15. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Hi Tim,
    I use Family Historian, but I am still getting to grips with it.
    I have just downloaded FT Analyser and am also getting to grips with that.
    I followed your FTA Documentation on setting up a Lost Cousins Fact Set on Family Historian.
    It worked, except I did not understand item 7 clear all the "Fields Required" except "Date"
    I did not have any "fields Required" to clear.
    I also did not understand the Be aware ..... paragraph at the end.

This is what I have tried out, so far, for one of my ancestors:
    I do not have a census fact already there. I have added a Lost Cousins fact for both censuses 1881 and 1911.
    The report shows yellow - Lost cousin flagged no census entry. This is correct

I have just added a Census fact and the report has turned green for that census.
    So it is doing what it should.
    Thank you for the documentation, sorry I do not understand some of it!
    If I can help any more let me know.

16. Tim

Just these 2 please Peter.

Ancestral Quest
    The Master Genealogist

17. Tim

Hi Katie, thanks for your post.

What version do you use?

I don't use the program myself, so another member helped by providing the info for me, which I copied to the website.

I think number 7 is basically saying that you only need to enter a date with this new fact type.

The last paragraph was about another issue that the member had. Where they had imported their gedcom from another FH software, the census facts were not setup correctly, they looked like they were there but were not creating census facts in the gedcom file.

But, Katie, it sounds like you have it all sorted, you can create Census and Lost Cousins Facts and that's what FTA uses for the Lost Cousins Coloured Chart reports.

So that's great news. :)

18. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, Tim - sorted.

19. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I am using Version 4 and I know Version 5 in now available, so that may be the answer.

That is what I did. All my other fields were already blank. That may not be the case for other people/ versions.

I had imported my gedcom from another program, but I did not have any census facts there at all. That is my next task, along with sorting out all the errors I found by running the FT Analyser program!

Thanks Tim and the other member who helped you. :)

20. NevilleO

NevilleO LostCousins Member

Tim
    I use and have used The Master Genealogist for some considerable time. It is easy to import & export files including gedcom file from the main menu by clicking on 'File' then 'Import' or 'Export' and following the instructions via the relevant wizard. As to creating a Lost Cousins Fact, I am at a loss apart from the fact that one could add it as a 'Tag' in the 'Details' window.
    Hope this helps, Neville