1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer questions.

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Norman, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Bee,

I have the same issue as you, wanting to see the events in a chronological order. As Alexander has mentioned, you can add the specific date for the census fact, and then add a BEF or AFT for your other facts.

In your case, it might be that this is a census year but you don't have a census fact added? But you have a residence fact of Jan 1901? The warning is just letting you know that this Jan 1901 fact doesn't align with a census date.

On your red blocks point, if you have added Jan 1901 format as the census date, then FTA will assume its not a census fact and therefore show this as missing a census record.

Could you take a screenshot from FTM? You can do this by pressing ALT+PrtScn and then pasting into a program like IrfanView. And then upload the file here.

2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Good idea Tim. Bee you can also paste the screenshot into Paint a simple graphics program that comes with windows so saves you having to install anything new.

3. Tim

It didn't come with my windows, I had to find it and install it.

4. Alexander Bisset

Paint has been part of windows since at least Windows 3. Granted you may not have had a shortcut to it or if the original install didn't tick the box for paint under windows components then you might not have it but its on the original DvDs.

5. Tim

DVD's? lol

(company laptop) wasn't on the standard image. Soon fixed it.

6. Alexander Bisset

Sorry I forgot you are using a 12 year old operating system. Was that floppies? :) Na it was actually CDs it came on. I've still got some original install CDs in the boxes with the holographic keys, in a dusty cupboard.

Note to self, clean out the cupboard!!

7. Bee

Bee LostCousins Superstar

Thank you Alexander for the explanation.

If someone lived in the same place in say 1881 and 1891 I enter it as Bet 1881-1891. They are then listed as missing from both censuses. However, your explanation about the residence fact warning probably applies to this situation too.

8. Tim

Maybe 12 years old, but still the best one so far :p.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tim

Yes, you need to enter a census fact and date for each census, makes life easier all round :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. Alexander Bisset

Hi Bee, the point is that each census will have different references and different sources that you would tag. The people living at the address may be different and will definitely have different ages etc. The program also treats them as discreet events as otherwise it gets confused with facts where you have accidentally covered off numerous years vs where you meant to cover various years. I ended up plumping for the scenario where it expects each census to be a discreet event as this avoided "false positives" ie: thinking it had got a census when it hadn't.

11. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Presumably your opinion about "the best" only concerns Windows versions and not the much missed superior product OS/2.

12. Alexander Bisset

Hmmm I guess you haven't really tried Windows 7 it takes all the best bits of XP and adds so much more "smoothness" and functionality. It just flows better and is easy to use.

13. Tim

Anyhow, before we have to create a new topic on Windows, I've seen this new fandangled Windows 7 but not really used it.
    I just remember Win 3.1 and ME, and the old blue screen of death....

So, back on topic.

Hi Bee. As you can start to appreciate, everyone starts to record information about their ancestors in a manner that makes sense to themselves at the time. This is often because when new researchers start out, there is very little guidance on what to record AND how to record it. Date formats is a very good example. Its very easy to create something meaningful to oneself, and Family History Software will allow it, but when you want to share your tree, or move it to different FH Software or start to use FTAnalyzer on your gedcom, you'll start to realise that you need to use the standard that has already been defined.

Clipboard02.jpg Here's a typical example from my tree. On the overview screen shown, you don't see the BEFore's or BETween's, but they will be there. Recording the source is very important and is done automatically in FTM.

Once you have recorded an entry for each event that you find, like for every census or when you enter someone on the Lost Cousins website, FTAnalyzer really starts to work for you.
    Clipboard03.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

I tried installing FTA again using the EXE version after expanding the ZIP package. Same result as before, except that it was not the auto installer that froze but FTA itself. No response to clicking once on FTA.EXE, even though it appears as a process in Task Manager. In fact, it reappears with a second entry if I click on it again. Telling Task Manager to end the processes have no affect. It has a wider affect on my system, causing any closure of XP Pro to last minutes and several startup programs are missing when the reboot eventually happens. Event manager says a program was using the registry during logoff, so the memory being used was not freed, which I guess is why my user settings were not saved. I assume that was FTA, as the problem disappears once it is removed and I do a CHKDSK and clean the registry. There is no uninstall entry for FTA.

15. Alexander Bisset

Hmm David. It sounds like your .Net Framework is broken or something is preventing FTAnalyzer from saving settings. On the install side of things if you unzip and run a .exe program you aren't installing anything so it is not at all a surprise that there is no uninstall option. You only get an uninstall option if you actually install something, by using the .exe version you are specifically choosing not to install the program.

It is far far more likely from what you describe that the problem is with the .Net Framework. Without a lot more info on how your system is working I cannot help further. For instance you don't say how much memory your machine has, what version of XP Pro you are running. What sort of Domain network you are connected to (I assume this is a networked computer on a domain as there is no benefit to use XP Pro if you aren't on a domain network). Are there any group policies setup that permit or deny certain actions? Is there some "protection" software that prevents programs loading and savings settings?

The problem is very likely to be either something that is preventing access to the program settings part of the registry where FTAnalyzer stores it's options, or there is a problem with your .Net Framework install.

There is a tool you can download to check your .Net environment again this is just an exe in a zip it doesn't install. Once run you want to verify .Net Framework 4 Client. If there is a problem you can download the Microsoft Framework Repair tool from here.

The other question is have you done a windows update lately, that is a FULL update including using Microsoft update to update Microsoft products as the basic windows update won't pickup the fixes you need.

16. DavidL

The program verified all NET versions. I am running XP Pro service pack 3. I Microsoft Update weekly. I have four computers on a wireless home network. I have no idea what group policies are. I check my registry when necessary with Glary Utilities and CCleaner.

FTA worked OK until the version which added mapping. I remember that because I was annoyed that Google made some ludicrous choices of location such as placing Glamorgan in Calgary. The auto-update you produced after I mentioned this started the problems. I run Avast Free for protection, and my first thought was an update which happened at the same time might be the problem. But even when I turned it off , things still did not work.

17. Alexander Bisset

Thanks for that David, good to hear that your .Net stuff is working and you regularly run Microsoft Update, you'd be amazed at how many people have issues and haven't even heard of windows update. I had one person who reported that her machine needed 132 Windows updates!!! The only things FTAnalyzer uses the registry for is storing the options eg: Use Baptism/Christening fact if no birth fact.

One other potential issue might be permissions. What directory have you unzipped the program into?

What I could do is release a special version for you with LOTS of debugging info turned on. This would create a diagnostics file that would help identify what it is trying to do at the point it hangs. If you wish me to try this approach let me know and I'll knock up something for you.

18. DavidL

I unzipped into a prepared folder on my main drive. There may be more than this than meets the eye, as I have just had the same problem rebooting for the update of a different program. Event manager again reported a failure to release memory used by the user registry because an application or service was accessing it. So it can't be FTA but that still doesn't explain why FTA.EXE no longer responds. I'm happy to debug it if you want to spend time on the logs, although you will possibly end up finding a fault somewhere else on my machine.

19. Alexander Bisset

Ah now that's interesting. Can you provide the exact text of the Event log entries. Especially any error numbers. Or you should be able to select the entry and save the log to a file. Armed with that info I can have a delve around in the Microsoft technical databases or on some of the professional sites I subscribe to, to see if there's a known problem and what the fix is.

20. Tim

David,

You might get a fix after all, even when Microsoft couldn't.