1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer questions.

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Norman, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

It definitely sounds like FTM is hanging on to data it shouldn't.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Yeah but no but!

You still have them in your FTM tree?

I'm going to see who the families where before and after and see if that sheds any light on mine.

3. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

The spurious data will still be there if I generate another gedcom. I could import that into RootsMagic and clean it before opening it in FTA but that would be a right PITA.

4. Tim

Ok, so compacting didn't work to fix these entries.

Looking at the families before and after, it seems that FTM re-uses family numbers, hence why one of my entries is a bit screwed (wrong notes with the text). I would have though that they would have used new numbers, and only re-ordered everything during a compact.

5. Alexander Bisset

Indeed that would have been the sensible thing but...

6. Tim

Hmmm who are we to question are our Ancestry? o_O

7. Alexander Bisset

Ahhh you have dates with space slash space? I can add that for the next version if you could just list the dates it has problems with. It does currently do ...
    MAR QTR
    MAR Q
    Q1
    QTR1
    QTR 1
    JAN-FEB-MAR,
    JAN FEB MAR,
    JAN/FEB/MAR
    JAN\FEB\MAR
    but not JAN / FEB / MAR.

Any other variants I should add?

8. Tim

Do we want to add other variants? In FTM2012 for example, it suggests you enter dates in this format, 21 Feb 1895
    Now, I entered a couple of dates as 21/2/1895 and 21 2 1895 and it accepted both. And when I exported my gedcom from FTM2012 pc it imported into FTA with no errors. But when I exported from on-line Ancestry, and opened in FTA, it listed both of these as errors.

9. Norman

OK just run FTA and it downloaded and installed the latest version (2.0.1.3) without any errors or warnings. Yesterday there were a couple of dates that it reported as unrecognised. The problem is I can't remember the exact format that they were in. :-(

10. Alexander Bisset

I often tweak the Date interpreting code as I get more sample data and see what ingenious date formats people have used in place of the GEDCOM standard date formats :)

The hope is that as best as possible I eliminate as many reasonable forms of date error. I obviously can't eliminate date errors of the sort "Not sure really" as I've seen in the past. Or ones that completely violate the spirit of the GEDCOM standard eg: dates of format 9/11/2011 which is to us the 9th November 2001 but to Americans is of course an infinitely more emotional date. The GEDCOM standard specifically prohibits numeric dates for months to remove any possibility of ambiguity. The program would need to read minds to work out what someone means if they use numeric dates, and their family tree software should also prohibit that. Just as it should prohibit 2 digit years which is meaningless rubbish for family historians dealing with any date from typically 1600s to 2000s.

11. Alexander Bisset

FTM stores these in the GEDCOM as 21 FEB 1895. If the Ancestry online GEDCOM export is exporting as numerics then that is a MASSIVE BUG in their export as it is a serious violation of the GEDCOM standard.

12. Norman

I do most/all my research on-line in Ancestry. I believe it is Ancestry that often uses quarter dates like JAN/FEB/MAR 1941. I can't remember whether there are spaces between the months. After synchronising with FTM2012 I then export the GEDCOM from there. It is that that I open in FTA.

13. Tim

Lol, well I actually used those dates in the example of an issue I raised on codeplex today. I'll check the gedcom now.

14. Tim

Yes, I do the same.

15. Tim

drum roll......

Code:
    0 @P1675@ INDI
    1 DEAT Age: 72
    2 DATE 10.2.1905
    :rolleyes:

16. Tim

and found the other

Code:
    0 @P1968@ INDI
    1 BIRT
    2 DATE 26/6/1900
    :D

17. Alexander Bisset

Ouch. BAD BAD BAD!!! Those a fundamentally invalid GEDCOM dates. The standard is online the bit about dates is extensive as it is quite complicated the "top level" of a date is here. It can be tricky to follow if you aren't used to reading such diagrams but basically MONTH can be

MONTH: = {Size=3}
    [ JAN | FEB | MAR | APR | MAY | JUN |
    JUL | AUG | SEP | OCT | NOV | DEC ]
    Where :
    JAN = January
    FEB = February
    MAR = March
    APR = April
    MAY = May
    JUN = June
    JUL = July
    AUG = August
    SEP = September
    OCT = October
    NOV = November
    DEC = December

NO numerals.

18. Alexander Bisset

Apologies for appearing thick if I view my tree on Ancestry what steps are needed to export the GEDCOM? I can't see the button to export. I want to test my own tree in FTM 201x where x is undisclosed, then bitterly moan about the bug on the private forum for 201x. :rolleyes:

19. Tim

Thick? Never!

Under Family Trees, You may have a More option if you have lots of trees.

You should see an option for view or manage under each tree name.

Click on manage, on the right handside is a green button for Export.

20. Alexander Bisset

Nope sorry only the list of 8 trees, Start a new tree and Upload a GEDCOM. No options under a treename, see image
    Menu Missing options.jpg