1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FTAnalyzer questions.

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Norman, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

No promises.

2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

:) I have every confidence

3. DavidL

DavidL LostCousins Member

USERENV
    Event ID: 1524
    Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
    [App 30secs later]
    Event ID: 1517
    Windows saved user MAIN\David registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
    This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Both provide a link to Windows Help Centre, which basically says it's nothing to worry about and requires no user action.

4. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I have changed computer and version of Family Historian since using FTAnlyzer last.
    When I first used it after these changes, I got a message about a missing backup/database, but did not write down the message and basically ignored it! Sorry!
    Now every time I use FTA I get the message:
    error loading previously geocoded data. SQL Logic error or missing database no such column:latm
    FTA still works as far as I can see. what am I missing and how do I put it back?

5. Katie Bee

Next question. How do I get those nice colour coded reports that showed me who I had and had not entered on Lost Cousins?
    I have put LC facts in for everyone on Lost Cousins, but I cannot seem to find out how to get a report that tells me who I am missing.
    Thanks in advance for your help

6. Tim

I'll let Alexander answer your first post, but my initial thoughts would be to remove FTA from your pc, goto this page and press the download button to get the latest version. Before you do that, make a note here of what version you're on.

When you have FTA open, goto the tab Search Summaries. There are 2 reports that you can run in full colour :)

7. Katie Bee

I have the latest version 3.3.2.5
    Thanks for pointing me to Search Summaries. I had tried Lost Cousins, Census, Reports and the documentation and here, but could not find the answer.
    Thanks again Tim. I seem to have been thanking you a lot today. Keep up the good work.

I will wait to see what Alexander says about my error.

8. Tim

My Pleasure, and enjoy.

9. Alexander Bisset

Hmmm it sounds like it can't find the geocoding database. Do you still have access to the old computer? If so the simplest solution is run FTAnalyzer on that and without loading a GEDCOM file do a backup of the database. This ask you to choose where to save the backup file. Once backed up you can copy that backup file to the new computer and run FTAnalyzer and restore the database. This should fix the problem.

If you don't have access to the old computer I'll have to think of a different solution.

10. Katie Bee

Where should the database go so that FTA can find it?
    Can I uninstall and reinstall FTA will that work?

11. Katie Bee

I installed FTA on my laptop and did a backup of the database. transferred that to my new computer and did a restore, but still get the error message.

12. Alexander Bisset

The database doesn't need to go anywhere the restore will put the file in the zip in the right place. That said the restore isn't working for you. I'll send a private message with my email address if you can email me the backup file I can see what is going on.

13. Katie Bee

Thanks for your help Alexander, FTAnalyzer is working fine now.

14. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I am using FTA v3.3.3.0 and have found a single entry in the Lost Cousins with No Country table.
    What is this indicating?

The displayed entry refers to my grand uncle who was a member of the Royal Horse Artillery serving in Transvaal, South Africa, at the time of the census in 1911. He is recorded in the census under Piece 34993 SN 9999.

The gedcom file includes . . .

1 CENS
    2 DATE 02 APR 1911
    2 PLAC Z Battery Royal Horse Artillery, Potcheftroom, Transvaal, South Africa

Do I need to record the country elsewhere?

15. Alexander Bisset

That sounds like a 1911 census entry that isn't England & Wales or Ireland is showing it as no country when really it should be ignoring it as not an entry that could be entered onto Lost Cousins.

I've not seen this type of entry before can you confirm whether or not it would be valid to enter onto Lost Cousins, ie: does it still count as part of the England & Wales Census?

16. alanmack

alanmack LostCousins Member

I too would be interested in the answer to this as I have a similar candidate in the Army in South Africa in 1911.

17. Bryman

I entered this because it was obtained just like any other England & Wales 1911 census entry in the FMP Person Search with Type shown as "Institution" and County as "Overseas Military". As I stated initially, this appears to be part of the England & Wales census under Piece 34993 SN 9999.
    Interestingly, searching using just the same first name and surname also shows someone aboard the Prince of Wales ship in the Atlantic Fleet at Gibraltar (Piece 34972 SN 9999).

18. Alexander Bisset

Peter may have to give a verdict on whether he considers this valid for entry to Lost Cousins although I suspect there's nothing wrong with entering it as its got a valid reference.

I'll hold off doing anything special in FTAnalyzer for now as I'm just about to release v3.4.0.0

19. Bryman

Another question about travel outside of UK but not directly affecting census entries this time.

I have an ancestor who was a Master Mariner and was sometimes at sea, away from any permanent address in UK. How should I record such periods so that Google geocoding can be meaningfully performed? Modern travel by air can be completed within about a day but sailing vessels were often at sea for several months at a time. Should such periods just be left blank in the timeline?

20. Alexander Bisset

The plotting of the timeline depends on discreet events, if you know for instance that the vessel was in port on a particular day that would be a discreet event that could be recorded at a specific location. Failing that the generic "At Sea" is what I've used which as you note doesn't actually help when geocoding.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1