1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Tree Maker to be pensioned off. NOT!

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by canadianbeth, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes I believe at least one 'incorrect shutdown' may have been as a result of a Microsoft induced restart when I had FTM open. One other when I performed a shut down without realising FTM had not been closed. But for the remainder after performing what I believed to be a correct shutdown. Incidentally MacKiev 'Help' lists two closure options; the File/Exit or clicking on 'X' so theoretically having followed either procedure I should not get incorrect closure messages.

I agree the auto backup is quick and was aware it could be turned off, but hoped by keeping it as a default it would prevent the messages. I shall persevere and see what happens and may have to contact MacKiev if the problem continues.

2. Bob Spiers

Ah, so that how one checks on unlinked media, will check that out. Thanks.

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I've also noticed that recently.

4. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

I often leave FTM open for longish periods without any activity and have not once come back to it to find it disconnected. Is your connection wi-fi or wired? If the former maybe a short dropout has cased the loss of connection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. FredC

FredC LostCousins Member

Below is the message I get from FTM, which suggests that it is not a local issue.

"We are experiencing frequent brief interruptions in sync service connections this morning. As a precaution, we are temporarily blocking all syncing, downloading and uploading for FTM 2017. We will resume sync services as soon as we have a steady connection again for at least two hours".

6. Bob Spiers

Thanks trebor, but can I emphasise the disconnection problem I reported was when using Ancestry itself, not FTM. (The PC is wired by the way and as with all my devices unless I am in the process of an upgrade download, is shut down after each day's session). I experience NO disconnection problems with FTM, just the spell of 'incorrect shutdown' reports about which I posted. I now make great effort to ensure I shutdown via File/Exit and on the last two occasions at least, FTM has opened without a problem.

I use Ancestry on one PC and FTM on another (both wired incidentally). If Ancestry is open and actively being worked, then usually no problem. But should I leave its page (without closing) and go on to other things -and the interval is longer than (say) half an hour - when returning all I find is a blank page and the 'cannot locate server' message; suggesting I re-search or refresh. The quickest route back for me to click on a New tab and select Ancestry from 'most visited' programs; it then opens to the last page visited.

Before - no matter how long inactive - on returning I would find it displaying as it was left. So I can only deduce Ancestry has now decided to introduce an 'inactivity time out' which, whilst not uncommon with other sites (I quoted 'Tribal Pages' which has always had a time out period) it is, I believe, new for Ancestry. I may well ask them to comment!

7. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

The program shutdown problem may not be new, though I cannot recall whether it was a "MS Windows" or "Linux" problem. I only recall it was a browser problem and, in my case, clicking "X" did nothing.

The 'cannot locate server' is more likely a DNS problem - I have such an issue now and again when opening multiple pages (tabs) from the same source and one may contain such a message. The page loads with a refresh.

Phil

8. Bob Spiers

I was about to say that I had not experience such a report, when to check this out before replying, up came the 'Orange' reports thus:
    upload_2017-11-9_11-22-18.png

So obviously all is not well on the syncing front. I still wonder if it has anything to do with the sporadic timing out of Ancestry being experienced outside of FTM. Best wait and see.

9. Bob Spiers

Yes I can relate to this as well, as when I open multiple tabs for (e.g.) FMP. On returning to a previous tab I may sometime find a blank page and a refresh message.

With regard Ancestry - and it may be a separate issue - I recently had a spate of security reports telling me they were using an 'invalid certificate' (the reports courtesy of either courtesy Kaspersky or Google, can't remember which). Regardless of whether I selected 'Discontinue' or 'Continue' (in the latter case generating a second 'are you sure' Y/N message) Ancestry opened normally. The reports cropped up for about a week and then disappeared and have not returned since. I checked for Malware and did a security scan but nothing showed.

10. Bob Spiers

Just to report this morning FTM both opened without a problem and the sync Green light is back in business. For now at least.

11. FredC

FredC LostCousins Member

It's important to do regular full back ups of FTM since "Auto-Backups made by the application do not contain media, nor do they have the information needed to relink your tree to Ancestry, so you should not rely on them as your only backups"

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. peter

This is slightly off-topic, but relevant.... I get a lot of emails from LostCousins members with queries about this or that family tree program. I generally refer them to the forum, and am wondering whether we ought to have a dedicated area of the forum with separate sections for each of the main programs.

Any thoughts?

13. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Sounds good.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Great idea Peter.

15. FredC

FredC LostCousins Member

Good move

16. peter

Would somebody like to come up with a list of programs - I guess there's no point including programs that have never been mentioned on the forum?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rhian

Rhian LostCousins Member

For my part there is only one - Gramps, but I know you are expecting more! Perhaps people who prefer one or two other programmes should suggest them.

18. Bob Spiers

Well as a starter from memory I know the following have been mentioned before in the Forum: -no order or preference intended and remember there will be old and new versions in use. As far as I know all work under Windows, except the last mentioned.

Brothers Keeper:
    Legacy :
    Roots Magic:
    Family Tree Maker (FTM)-MacKiev version:
    Tribal Pages: *
    Gramps:*
    MacFamily Tree:
    which (3 guesses) is for Mac users

*both allow sharing with others

I could have included 'Family Tree Legends' ( my all time favourite) but does not work beyond Windows XP but keep in mind should somebody ask. There are others (Family Historian comes to mind) but will need to be endorsed by someone else.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. Bob Spiers

Oh dear I missed out Genopro: how remiss of me and I use it as well, although not as a data base but unequalled for producing family tree charts.

20. pjd

pjd LostCousins Star

Good idea Peter

It might be worth having a separate section for Mac to include:
    Reunion
    TreeView2
    as well as FTM Mac version (which I use)

Also various 'apps' such as GedView, Branches Pro for iPad (both of which I use for quick reference) . . .

• Agree Agree x 1