1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Tree Maker to be pensioned off. NOT!

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by canadianbeth, Dec 8, 2015.

1. FredC

FredC LostCousins Member

If you open FTM and then go to the help menu on the tool bar in the top left hand corner, click on "about family tree maker' and your version will be revealed.
    Clicking on the following link will give you some of the background.

https://www.mackiev.com/familytreemaker/ftm3/already_have.html

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. chrissy1

chrissy1 LostCousins Star

Thanks, Fred C. It's version 22.0.0.1410. I may have had a link to an update that popped up from time to time, but as the link didn't specify in English to what program it referred, I ignored it.

3. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

I used the original FTM 2014 program for several months after the announcement of its demise - with no problems.
    When an update became available from MacKiev I installed it and continued to use the program with no issues.
    Then the official update was released and I updated to that and I am still using FTM with absolutely no problems.

I suspect that the potential problems envisaged after Ancestry's announcement have either not transpired or have become the excuse for other issues that have no relation to the FTM software at all.

If you have not registered your interest in FTM with the MacKiev website I suggest that you do so immediately and you will be advised if an update is available and if this is FOC or chargeable.
    My experience is that the need to change to another program with all the work required to get to a position equal to that with FTM is not necessary.

Even without the upgrade to the MacKiev version my understanding is that the program will continue to work as before - although to continue to use the synchronise feature the update will be needed at some time in the future as MacKiev / Ancestry will change the way the system works. If you do not use the synchronise feature then do whatever you want, the program will continue to function as before.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. chrissy1

I did get something about an update for some thing, but it didn't arrive as an e-mail and didn't specify that it was for FTM, (if indeed that's what it was for!) so it was ignored. I have looked on the MacKiev website and I have successfully saved a copy of the FTM tree to external hard drive, but suppose I just have to sit around now and wait and see if MacKiev send me an update....... I have registered on their site.....

My FTM has been working well until just recently, when it seems to get stuck synchronising the media. Also using the hints system is extremely slow and often informs me there are no hints (when I know there are plenty) or informs me it is experiencing technical difficulties. Perhaps that is because I haven't installed a new update. (However, that looks very complicated!)

5. trebor

I found the whole process fairly easy.
    Here is a link to the FAQ on the subject.
    I cannot immediately find a link where you can download the update so I guess that you will have to wait until you get the email.

6. chrissy1

Apparently there has been some sort of previous update to create a MacKiev version, as well as the recent update so I guess I will just have to wait for an e-mail. It was so much easier when there was a helpline to call! I can usually manage to mess up most things to do with computers, so I doubt any update will be easy for me.

7. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

It looks as though you missed the boat when a Mackiev update was being pushed for (Ancestry) FTM 2014 but I note Mackiev Support still refer to Free updates for both Windows and Mac3 users. Try this link Free upgrade and note what it says, and look for the 'rolling out' link.

Of course if you have already done this and await Mackiev getting in touch just ignore this post.

8. chrissy1

Q: What do I need to do to make sure I get notified?

A: Sign up for the Family Tree Maker mailing list at www.familytreemker.com if you haven't already done so. That's it. Everyone who is on the mailing list is expected to get an invitation to update by the end of January.

I have tried the link and it doesn't seem to work!

9. Bob Spiers

I think the link is mis-spelled, there is an 'a' (treemker=treemaker) missing. Try www.familytreemaker.com and see if that works. Or try this. FTM ....look for Mailing List in the headings and follow through. If it tells you you are already registered then you just wait.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. CarolB08

CarolB08 LostCousins Member

If you open your ftm and click on help at the top left of the page then scroll all the way down to "about family tree maker" you should see the following box pop up. This will tell you what version of ftm you have. You can also check for an update from here to.
    tree maker.JPG

11. chrissy1

Many thanks to everyone for their help, initially for the information that I should have updated FTM. After spending 1.5 hours on MacKiev's online chat with a very patient person called Dave from the Ukraine, I now have the 2014.1 version installed and working. The problems which had begun to manifest themselves have now been resolved, so LC Forum triumphs again. Without it I would have been none the wiser.

12. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

Well it took awhile but I finally have my FTM upgraded to 2014.1. :) Also backed up to the hard drive and also to a stick.

13. FredC

FredC LostCousins Member

I upgraded early January to 2014.1 and ordered the CD at the same time. Despite chasing the disc up on several occasions it's still not landed in my post-box.
    Now I have just been informed that VicGum is the newly appointed distributor for Australasia, and that the CD is in the mail.

https://www.vicgum.asn.au/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  14. Bob Spiers

Although I have had Family Tree Maker (FTM) for some time - drawn originally to it by its capacity to sync with my Ancestry Trees - I never really 'used' the program as a desk top data base, for this I chose 'Legacy' as a replacement for my beloved Family Tree Legends (FTL). Now Legacy has to go after its cosying up to 'My Heritage' (most of you know my reasons) so I have decided FTM is to take its place.

I upgraded to the MacKiev 2017 Version which -after its initial teething troubles we all know about - seems to be behaving itself and syncs well with Ancestry once again. However as I am new to FTM's way of working as a data base I seem to be running into trouble with various aspects from shutting down to backing up and compacting the data base, so perhaps some good soul will explain these to me.

First, what is the correct procedure simply to shut down? I use File/Exit which causes it to go into its closing down sequences and final exit. But on restarting next day it often --but for some reason not always - just hangs! After a while I get a message along the lines of..." FTM was not shut down properly and you may need to compact the file to continue" - or words to that effect - and perform a backup before so doing!. After enduring all that it recommends I repeat the compact until it shows as 0%. This to me is 'faffing' about and wearisome and must be avoided at all costs - so what I am doing wrong?

Then there is the need to 'Backup' which I can well understand; but every time? It seems to advise I do this even though it performs its own 'auto backup' as part of a final closing sequence. If left to my own devices I would perform a manual backup probably after some major syncing changes with Ancestry. It also seems to recommend I get into the habit of compacting the database quite regularly. Is this really necessary?

So can someone enlighten me on the norm for shutting down correctly and how often they perform a backup or a compact? Other than that I find FTM has some nice features and I particularly like its 'Places' tab and what that offers - but its ability to sync with Ancestry is still its best feature.

15. FredC

FredC LostCousins Member

I’m a long time FTM user, now using FTM 2017, who is just about on the verge of dumping it, so maybe I’m not a good source of inspiration for you.

At least 50% of the time I don’t have connectivity to Ancestry, as indicated by the orange or red alert weather report. Recently I’ve started experiencing missing media and citations after syncing. Not all these are recoverable following MacKiev’s recommended procedures. Prior to MacKiev I used to have the odd crash, but none of the issues that I am facing now.

This has prompted me to sync, compact and back up after I’ve added just a small amount of date to either FTM or Ancestry.

Having said that I’ve not had the improper close-down message, I go to file>close to shut the program down.

I’m now tempted to evaluate Roots Magic as my desktop program, has anyone on the Forum got experience with this?

16. trebor

Being a less than correct (and possibly lazy) in my use of PC's and their software I frequently leave FTM open between sessions and do not shut my PC down but go in to Hibernation. However when I know it may be a while between FTM sessions or when I do fully shut down the PC for a longer break I irreverently hit the X button. The auto back up is quite quick and not too much of a delay. You can turn this feature off in Options if you do not like it.
    The only time I get a warning to compact the database is when FTM has closed down unexpectedly - normally Windows deciding to do its own thing - and FTM does not misbehave for me as you describe. Occasionally I will ignore this instruction with no apparent issues and even less often I will decide to do a compression of my own choice. I also occasionally do a full back up when I feel that it is time to be more thorough than the smaller shut down back up - I save this separately to the routine back up.

I hope this helps Bob but I would be happy to answer any further questions and even run tests if it would help solve your issue.

17. For what it’s worth, I am also a long term user of FTM and very rarely have any problems with FTM2017.

I work on my trees in Ancestry then open FTM and run the Sync. When I have finished what I want to do I close it by using the X at top right, that’s how I close most files in my PC.

I never sign out of Ancestry. I do a full close down of my PC every time I have finished with it.

I quite frequently leave the syncing for some time. However, just recently I synced after adding/changing about 150 people. When I checked the number of media against the number in Ancestry there was a discrepancy. Using the Media report in FTM to identify unlinked media I was able to correct the numbers.

18. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I haven't had some of the issues as described, but I have noticed that something (and I'm not sure if it's Ancestry or FTM2017) is dublicating some of my records/people randomly.

I spent a long time yesterday merging at least 40 duplicated people in my tree!

19. Norman

Norman LostCousins Member

I use both RootsMagic and FTM, each for different purposes. I perform the majority of my research in Ancestry as I tend to do my research from home rather than travelling around with a laptop. The synchronisation process within FTM is seamless and works extremely well. With RM you are presented with a list of all people who require synchronisation and for each person you are required to select what elements get synchronised. There is no option to "trust" the program to perform all the actions with one transaction. For that reason I always re-import the whole tree from Ancestry occasionally.

Apart from the syncing issue RM is every bit as functional as FTM and has an excellent set of forums where questions are quickly resolved.

20. Bob Spiers

Although the orange/red alert was a regular feature back in the year I have to admit of late the MacKiev so called weather report invariably shows 'Green to go' and the sync performs satisfactory. (Not yet sure about missing media/citation and will have to discover how one finds this out).

However when using Ancestry itself, if I should leave its page and get on with something else- and my absence is half an hour or more - invariably I return to a 'cannot locate server : re-search or refresh' message. I am used to such with my Tribal Pages which has always had a time out period, but is a new thing with Ancestry. More of a minor irritation than anything as it is not difficult to return and pick up where I left off.

Thinking about your orange/red reports perhaps it may be that Ancestry has cut itself off so to speak when you choose to Sync. Make a point of having Ancestry open (not being worked as that often earns a 'cannot sync as Ancestry is being used' message) and try syncing then. You never know!