1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Family Tree Maker to be pensioned off. NOT!

Discussion in 'Family Tree Maker' started by canadianbeth, Dec 8, 2015.

1. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I received that e-mail too. So far I have done nothing except look into buying the other program, Family Historian. It appears that I cannot get the actual CD but would have to just download it.

2. NicolaP

NicolaP LostCousins Member

You are correct that you can't by the CD directly from Calico Pie on their webiste, however, it is possibly to purchase the CD version from online retailers such as Amazon and others. Personally, I don't see the point in purchasing the CD as it is more expensive anyway. You don't get a manual as part of that purchase, the manual is extra, albeit that the one for v6 is still in development but due to be released soon.

3. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

I did buy Legacy as I already use the free version for my husband's tree and I transferred my own tree to Legacy to see what I made of it. I did not delete my FTM tree, which I am glad about, as I will go back to using it. Legacy is good but there are aspects of FTM which I prefer. I will continue with Legacy for the other tree as I have less media on it. Also I was prompted to ensure my media were properly saved and my paper work was tidy so some good has come out of this.

4. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

According to the website, Canadians are supposed to order from amazon.com; however when I go there I am informed that they do not ship to Calgary. Amazon.ca does not have it at all. My husband says I can download it and put it on my own disk - ? I like to have the actual software so that I can install it onto a different computer, as I had to do with FTM a few months ago when I got a new laptop.

5. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

You can download the program as often as you like and onto as many computers as you like - the only difference between the free trial version and the paid-for version is the activation key.

These days programs are usually only produced on CD so that physical shops have something to rattle inside the box. Even if you do try to install a program from CD the chances are that during the installation process it will download a newer version from the publisher's website instead of installing the old version that's on the disk.

CDs do make great coasters, or you can use them as frisbees. Otherwise they have little or no value.

6. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

:D oooh,you are awful!

7. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

What Peter says is more often than not true because CD's are static in time (You only have to think of a past Windows disc which if re-used on another computer will involve you in a hour of internet update). With commercial programs on CD they invariable link back to the publishers website during loading to check if a newer version is available. Downloading direct will always provide the latest version.

I have to say I too once clung to the physical possession of a CD and was quite proud of my shelf of CDs' with all the Windows versions and miscellany of utilities and (a few) games often on DVD. But today even though I am reluctant to get rid of them and they gather dust I cannot recall the last time I actually ordered a CD - or even ticked the box to have one posted- it just isn't necessary. Even if you pay for a version and later forget the activation code you can receive it again once you verify your account.

8. Bob Spiers

CD's strung together across a patch of tender young plants (peas, beans etc) make good bird scarers.

9. peter

I've heard that, but I'm not sure that the evidence supports it. Some birds (eg magpies) are attracted by shiny objects.

Anyone tried it?

10. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

My daughter in law uses them in this way,but to me they are a nuisance as they catch the sunlight and send flashes to dazzle and distract the humans in house and garden.

11. Bob Spiers

I have to admit I did once try the idea and agree they did indeed catch the sunlight and could dazzle. However they were reasonably effective in keeping all except the very bravest birds at a distance. One such was our "Mr Robin" who let it be known he was not best pleased and carried on as normal. As for the neighbourhood magpies I cannot recall them ever being attracted to the discs.

What I can recall however is being chided by the wife of a local friend (who -how can I put it - 'loved nature') for frightening the poor birds but had no such scruples about keeping away cats in her own garden.

12. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

When I lived in Trinidad it was recommended to me to hang a CD off my daypack when hiking (in forest) as it would increase the chance of my being found if I was lost. I am glad to say I never had to put this to the test.

• Good tip Good tip x 2
  13. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

This sounds like a good idea even when not in a forest. People get lost/injured when out on hillsides and search helicopters or mountain rescue often have trouble locating those in trouble (frequently reported in NZ). A CD can be used like a mirror to reflect any sunlight and signal to rescuers to draw attention.

14. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Supposing there's sun, that is.

15. Bob Spiers

Now Gillian just because you live in Finland and it's winter. I well recall during my brief few days sojourn there in the 80's the sun shone in May and recall it glistening on the remains of the snow! It was a Wednesday, around noon I believe. (Memory being what it is, it could have been a Thursday!):p

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  16. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

But there were no CDs back then, were there?Or were there? What's more, I bet you weren't even lost.

17. peter

I bought my first audio CDs in the mid-80s (at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas). CD ROMs were rare in the 80s - the main growth was in the 90s.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  18. Kate

Kate LostCousins Member

Hi, as we seem to have been side tracked by cds....just read that Genealogy in time say that MacKiev's solution is only buying time for FTM users and that in the long term we should look for an alternative! Bit disappointed by this. Do not know why they say that. I don't care about the sync or hints but I do like the software.

19. Bob Spiers

Well much to my surprise as I was about to agree with you that CD's were not about in 1983 but I find via Wikipedia that the first music compact discs were issued in 1982 and even more staggering the patent was first filed in 1966 and received a patent in 1970. It took some while before both Sony & Phillips surprisingly cooperated to take up the patent and develop the necessary compatible hardware.

After some poor first experimentation the first commercial discs really began being issued from 1982 onwards and in fact ABBA (living next door in Sweden) were one of the first groups to make use of the new media.

As for me back then I was still using Stereo 8 in the car and vinyl at home, before finally venturing onto my much beloved Cassette Player/Recorder (those were the days!). I cannot recall when I first moved over to CD but I do know 1983 had long passed.

PS (for Gillian). No I didn't get lost in Finland which is as well if I had wanted to ask someone the way!:(

20. Bob Spiers

Sorry about the CD sidetrack Kate - this does tend to happen but we usually wonder back to topic or the Moderators (bless them all) award them their own discussion point if worthy; which CD's probably aren't. As for what you say I wouldn't take too much notice of every prognostication you read; (by the way 'Genealogy in time' put me out of my misery, to what do you refer and can you provide a link?). My best advice and you will find it has been mentioned already is best summed up by 'Keep Calm and Carry on'. I shall do nothing at all and retain FTM for as long as it suits, which may well be longer than you think.