1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry -there appears to be a problem with your email address!!

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I allowed email alerts for a long time but as they quickly became numerous I instructed them to be sent to a LCForum folder direct which meant they bypassed my new. So I forgot about them. One day I noticed a figure of 602 emails showing in the file, clicked on it and realised as well as Forum Alert - to which I always respond - I was also receiving emails. That, to me is a duplication of effort as I am on the Forum most days and always respond to Alerts (I don't consider any not of interest). So I clicked on delete all and from this point onwards I cancelled email alerts. Surely this make sense.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

It makes sense for you since you visit so frequently, and you're hardly an average forum user, having posted 1 in 25 of all the messages!

But it probably wouldn't make sense for most people.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

It's what I do/have done but I probably am in the same category as Bob.

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Actually you've posted more messages than Bob, but somehow it doesn't seem like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Bob Spiers

Sounds remarkably like a hint, but not to worry I am busy writing Part two of my Story and reviewing Windows 10 Preview so have my hands (& computers) full. Mind you if the fancy takes me or I need to 'whinge' (thank you Alexender from another post) don't be too surprised if I pop up now and again, and again....but well done Liberty:)

6. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

This is nothing to do with Ancestry, but please could you tell me how I can stop getting alerts about a thread/discussion (right word?) I don't particularly want to follow anymore. The one in question is Saving Documents from Findmypast, which comes under Search Tips. I do most certainly want to follow Search Tips but I don't want alerts about the Saving Documents etc. Do you see what I mean? How can I get rid of the alerts for the latter but not for the main Discussion?

7. Bob Spiers

Forgive me Gillian if a bit slow first thing in the morning, but from where are you receiving the alerts? It sounds as though you mean FMP but am not aware of alerts from them(unless they are 'Hints' associated with having your Tree on FMP which I do not have or want). So the only Alerts I relate to are in this Forum.

You can adjust what alerts you receive in the Forum easily enough. Click or hover your mouse over Alerts above right, and go into Alert Preferences and tick/un-tick as necessary. Mind you I still cannot relate to Search Tips so perhaps a Moderator can take you further. Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  8. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Gillian, go to the discussion here, and in the top right hand corner, just above the 1st post, should be something that says "Unfollow Discussion". Click on it.

Bob, Search Tips is the forum that the post is in.

9. Bob Spiers

Doh! :( Yes now I see what you mean, but following the link you gave Gillian there was no 'unfollow discussion' but perhaps that is because I wasn't? (following the link that is). Have now revisited and it says 'Follow Discussion' so that sort of proves the point.

10. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Thank you Bob and Tim. But Tim, your advice is just my problem. If I go to the discussion as you suggest, which is what I've done more times than I count, the only blue words in the top right hand corner just above the 1st post are Follow Discussion, not Unfollow Discussion!!

11. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I wondered if I should go to my Alert preferences and untick Replies to a watched thread. But then that would mean I wouldn't get any alerts for watched threads, wouldn't it? And, at the moment, the only one I don't want to follow is Saving Documents from Findmypast.

12. Tim

Hmmm. Ok, when you click follow discussion, it should give you 2 options. Select Follow without receiving emails.

13. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Great, I thought, when I read Tim's reply. That's what I'll do and, full of good cheer, clicked on Follow discussion. But what did I find? 'Follow without receiving emails' was already ticked!!! :( However, then I clicked 'Follow discussion' inside that box and now I really did get 'Unfollow discussion'. So I guess it's OK now. We'll see. Thank you very much Tim.

14. Tim

Not sure what happened, but my pleasure. I'll make a post in that discussion and you can see if it works!

15. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Oh dear, your message, Tim, came through loud and clear in the FMP discussion - as did Norman's and Peter's - despite my Unfollow command. :rolleyes: So now I've done Unfollow yet again.

16. Bob Spiers

So to sum up: to unfollow a discussion you must first follow it and click follow without receiving emails. But if follow without receiving emails is already ticked, you need to click follow discussion and then unfollow discussion will be revealed. So you can now unfollow the disccusion. You follow?;)

17. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Stay with us Gillian;)

18. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Amazingly yes! Brilliant instructions Bob:)

19. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

My first reaction to Bob's reply was Gulp :eek: But then I read it again carefully and even wrote down what you said, Bob. This led me to the conclusion that I had done exactly as you said, ie " if follow without receiving emails is already ticked, you need to click follow discussion and then unfollow discussion will be revealed. So you can now unfollow the discussion". So now I have unfollowed the discussion yet again. I think this is the third time. Third time lucky? We'll see. :rolleyes:

20. Bob Spiers

Yes fingers crossed for you otherwise I will have to follow up with the follow up; the mind boggles.:)