1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry -there appears to be a problem with your email address!!

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I have recently had an Error message showing at the top page of each of my Ancestry Tree pages and have carried out the 'click here to verify your email address'. It take you to your Username page and asks you to type your password. having done so it reveals your existing email and asks you to update it? But as I did not wish to change the email I entered the old one again and received the message that this one is already in use. So a complete round robin and waste of time. I sent them a 'Contact us' message but received no reply so today I phoned them and this time did at least get an answer of sorts which I am passing on should this be happening to others.

The lady confirmed it was a KNOWN ERROR and was likely triggered when an email sent to me was undelivered or more likely when another person trying to message me via Ancestry was unable to do so. But she said it may be for other reasons and they have had a number of complaints on the matter. The technical team were working on it but meanwhile she offered to carry out a manual fix and after taking me through some security questions said she had reset my password as existing. She also asked me to carry out other actions and would email me with those. The email was about managing your Internet cache and cookies which I do regularly anyway. It remains to be seen if the fix will cure my error message but if not she warned I should wait upon the team curing the problem. Knowing Ancestry this is unlikely to be any time soon, but I could be wrong.:(

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I had this too, it seems to have gone now with no action on my part.

3. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Are you sure that it wasn't a third party trying to harvest your password?

4. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I just ignored it and it went away:D

5. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Oh if only we could deal with all problems in this manner :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I never got it, so now I'm worried that I may have missed something. o_O Perhaps I am being ignored? :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

My email notification of replies to this thread looked a bit scary in my inbox:eek:

8. Bob Spiers

Absolutely, I made the call to them and there were security questions.

9. Bob Spiers

So if I ignore you?:)...and as you may have guessed it did not work for me -until I phoned them- see later post

10. Bob Spiers

Can I just advise the message has cleared but in my case I believe only because I asked for it to be removed. But who knows perhaps the Tech boys did actually do something about the error at the same time or even by a prompting from complaints.

11. Bob Spiers

Yes apparently as emjay but I only ignore Error messages for perhaps a day and after 3 decided it was time to have words!

12. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

You can turn off email notifications from posts in the Forum.

13. Bob Spiers

I think I did this after the first week of being invited to the Forum; or does emjay mean Alerts?

14. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Tim and Bob yes 'alerts', but they are still email notifications of an alert.

15. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

You could try!

16. Tim

Are you saying you get an email when someone posts in a discussion that you are following? This is what you can turn off.

17. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't advise turning off email alerts. It's better to unfollow discussions that aren't of interest.

18. Tim

Very wise Peter :)

19. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Why would I want to turn off?

20. Tim

It was in response to your post.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1