1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  3. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  4. Coronavirus Corner - a place to share your hopes, dreams, and frustrations.
  5. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

Ancestry DNA Matches

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Tim, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Vicky13

Vicky13 LostCousins Member

I'd already grouped all my matches - I have tried to split it into 8 GGP and some of these I've also identified the 2xGGP and 3xGGP. So some of my second and third cousins are in more than one group. Most of my paternal line I know exactly where the connection is, and the same for one of my mother's grandparents.
    Quite a few matches are flagged "common ancestor" so Ancestry has missed a trick by not using this information.

2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I agree, they could use this information. However, in some cases the 'common ancestor' information is incorrect, so it's up to you to check it and label the person (or not) accordingly.

3. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

They have just got round to me!
    I have just got the pop up
    'We’re testing a new feature for DNA matches!'

4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I've just noticed that one of my Ancestry matches has the following statistics:

upload_2021-6-10_11-52-51.png

Downgrading a 37cM segment to just 8cM seems quite drastic - I've never seen such a large percentage reduction (78%) before. Does anyone have a comparable example?

5. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

That does seem a very drastic downgrading! I haven't come across anything so drastic amongst my matches, though I have one where a single-segment 35 cM match has been downgraded to 14 cM. This is for a documented 4th cousin 1x removed.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1