1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Ancestry DNA Matches

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by Tim, Sep 27, 2020.

1. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

It looks good so far.

Unfortunately it won't recognise relationships past 5th cousin, determining them as "Distant relationship", so I don't know if it goes far enough.

Otherwise, I like the change in labelling.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Me too - I saw this feature previewed nearly a year ago, but wasn't sure how useful it would be for experienced researchers like us.

3. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I think a small benefit is that you can at least label matches as "mother's side" or "father's side" even if you don't know the exact relationship, which might help with identifying some of the unknown links?

4. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

I agree, but you can already do that by assigning matches to groups, and I have a broad group for mother's side and a similar one for father's side, and the coloured dots stand out and are immediately recognisable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. peter

I tend to use red/yellow colours for mother's side and blue/green for father's side.

6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes I discovered this yesterday thinking …'not another Ancestry innovation'? Knowing others of recent times have not always been well received. I decided to explore the first one on my list who just happens to be my daughter.

Answering 'yes' and then selecting 'Both sides' brought up the statement that she was my Daughter; which caused me to smile. I selected the next two in turn, both on my Mother's side, and chose the relationship. (I more or less knew what they were but checked them out anyway). Once confirmed a white on green "View Match" shows.

Is it a useful innovation? Not quite sure. I know of relationships anyway if colour coded into groups. Those that did not qualify to be group I have my notes to go on even if quite often...'nothing found'. I would go through the sequence of choosing a 'side' and checking out a relationship anyway but other than that my jury is out on whether this assists me in so doing. I will await, as Helen requests, to hear what others think.

7. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Only if you use a few distinctive colours. If Ancestry had used independent semicircles in the "dots", then red/yellow/green/blue/black gives 25 easily distinguishable "dots" - one more than the 24 indistinct colours they currently use.

8. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

I don't notice anything different from last month. Will someone please display a screen print to let me know what to expect when I am finally admitted?
    Currently, I store similar information as a note and that gets displayed under the entry, cousin relationship at left and which of 8 groups (2G GPs) assigned at right. Even if precise group is not known, this can often be guessed at from assigned group of shared matches.

9. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Yes the dot colours can be very similar but if the pointer is hovered over them then the assigned name is shown.

10. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I mostly agree but I can think of quite a few unknown matches in my list where it's unclear which side the match is related to me on, as there are shared matches with documented cousins on both sides. (This is despite there being no evidence either on paper or in my DNA that my parents were related, and almost certainly the ambiguity is due to 'relatives in common', which I raised in another thread.)

These ambiguous matches are already colour coded to show the two possible areas (or in one case 3) of my tree where we might be related, and I think it might confuse things if I were to mark them as possibly related to me on both sides.

It can be risky anyway to assume too much about how an unknown match might be related to you from just one or two shared matches.

11. peter

Agreed - I have some still to be diagnosed matches where there are shared matches with cousins on opposite sides of my tree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

It looks like this (I've omitted the person and their picture from the left hand side):
    Ancestry DNA list screenshot.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  13. Helen7

I agree, it couldn't replace the colour coding into groups (which I use for the 8 pairs of 2xGGs, plus some other sub-groups). But with the new system I can see at a glance if I've worked out exactly how a match is related to me: if so it will have the green 'view match' button and if not the 'Do you recognize them' buttons are shown.

14. peter

I put this information in the first line of the Notes - just as I would at LostCousins. For me the presence of a coloured dot also indicates a match that has been resolved.

15. Helen7

I put a coloured dot when I've identified the relevant branch, not that I've necessarily identified the exact relationship. My notes may not give a definitive relationship either.

Clearly everyone will have a different way of working, and what works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

My Ancestry page looks the same as usual.

17. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

So does mine - do you need an Ancestry subscription to see the new match feature?

18. peter

No.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

My Ancestry page now has the new feature.

20. TerryM

TerryM LostCousins Member

Why doesn't this new feature not use the information from the connection button which was already there? I have over 200 people whom I have already identified and linked to my tree but now Ancestry is suggesting we do it all over again.

• Agree Agree x 3