1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1921 census release

Discussion in 'More British Isles Resources' started by webwiz, Mar 15, 2021.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

That's how it's going to work - whether you're a subscriber to Findmypast or not, you'll have to pay for each transcript and/or image that you view (for the foreseeable future). The only advantage of having a Findmypast subscription will be for Pro subscribers who will get a 10% discount on the 1921 records.

2. peter

I was very surprised by the reaction to yesterday's announcement from Findmypast from some of the most experienced members of the forum. I've been saying in the newsletter for over a year that the 1921 Census would be pay-per-view, so that shouldn't have come as a surprise to any of you.

On the other hand the price ought to have been a pleasant surprise since it compares favourably with previous releases (1911 & 1939). For example, the 1939 Register cost 60 credits (£6.95) - and whilst you could bring the price down by purchasing large numbers of credits, the cost was still £3.66 even if you spent £54.95 on 900 credits. The 1911 Census was only 40 credits, but at the time the maximum number you could buy was 300 for £24.95, so the discount was much lower.

This time you don't have to commit to large numbers of credits - the new system means that you pay as you go, with no up-front commitment.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

At present, the only information I would like to see in the census is where my Dad was at the time. He would have been 13, and possibly at the naval training place that my aunt listed on her emigration papers in 1924. Knowing where she was in 1921 would be useful as well, but my grandmother and other aunt were already here in Canada and listed in the 1921 Canadian census.

4. You have taken this out of context, I'll try to put it another way and forget about the census.
    I was asking if it was possible for LC to have its own version of FMP with access available to members who pay to do so. The purpose is to reduce the cost to those of us who can't or don't want to afford the cost of our own sub.

5. peter

It's not something that LostCousins could get involved with - it would be too complicated - but in England & Wales many people can already access Findmypast and/or Ancestry through their local library. In other countries library coverage is more patchy, but there are FamilySearch centres around the world which offer access, and many family history societies have library subscriptions.

6. I also said we could get access through our libraries. However, it's called the library version and is not he full version. Plus, I only have a desktop - can't take that to the library!

7. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

In the UK one doesn't need to 'take' a laptop to view Library subscribed content (like Ancestry/FMP) but to use the in-situ laptops, which - depending on Library size may be two or three or half a dozen. I have a Library ticket but rarely visit our local branch (even though my granddaughter happens to be in Supervisory charge of Library branches, including our local one). However my wife makes up for this (Pandemic aside) to borrow books (how unusual;)) and tells me our local Library has a table set aside with 3 laptops, and there is always someone sitting at each one. She think you have to book in advance or there are time limits and you wait? (Must ask my Granddaughter about that)

Of course they may allow personal laptops in the library but not sure whether one can access Library subscribed sites just using Library ticket identification. As you could as easily do this at home I somehow doubt it, but something else to check with my Granddaughter.

8. Maybe I was misleading, our library has computers. I'm not sure if you need to book as such but it has been said that you need to go when the schoolchildren aren't using them for 'homework'.
    You have to physically be in the library and your time is limited, to 30 minutes I believe. I would want to save images into the files I have on my computer and that is why I said I can't take it with me.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Bob Spiers

First I must say you seem to think because you mentioned something in a previous Newsletter, people will recall you saying so; some will, but most won't. This applies whatever the subject and if they are anything like me (perish the thought for anyone who is) then can I just say I rarely remember something from your last Newsletter -never mind those more ancient - and 24 hours after reading your current Newsletter, anything not of IMMEDIATE interest (or touching a subject matter close to my heart) - will be pushed out of my memory by something more pressing. But saying all this here is something I do remember from your LATEST Newsletter: "beyond the pale".

Yes an apostate comment that sums up my feeling about 'pay to view' (PTV). It is only as a last resort and where necessity triumphs over natural resistance (which has severely limited my use of Scotland People for years) that I will do so, but PLEASE do not expect me to be happy doing so. High subscription fees are bad enough but PTV extras amount to research blackmail.

So I don't care if it was something projected to happen way back, or something I discovered a week ago (better make that a day ago) I am not happy with the decision that one needs to 'pay to view' and the Pro subscription discount, does little to soften the blow. The sooner the 1921 Census is made available as a modest (by my interpretation not FMP's) extra the better. Such is my upset I might even consider dropping my FMP subscription, and stay with Ancestry and use Family Search, much as atNZ does now.

10. peter

Library subscriptions are often monitored using IP addresses - that would allow the use of a laptop within a library or record office, provided it was using the WiFi provided.

11. peter

I don't like pay-per-view either - think how frustrating it must have been for people with Scottish ancestry when they could only access the censuses via ScotlandsPeople (even now the only way to get census images, or even the 1911 transcripts, is to use their site or visit one of their centres - for which there is also a charge).

But I do expect experienced researchers to have some memory of what happened in 2002, 2009 and 2015, ie EVERY previous online release of a new England & Wales 'census'. Also bear in mind what I wrote in 2019:

"when the 1911 Census was released a decade ago it was originally available only through a dedicated pay-per-view website, and the 1939 Register was also pay-per-view for the first few months. You may also recall that in both cases the cost of subscriptions rose when the records were incorporated - so be careful what you wish for!"

Although paying an extra £40 on the annual subscription might have seemed a small price to pay for access to the 1911 Census in 2010, once subscriptions have gone up they don't necessarily come down again. As it happened, Findmypast did change their prices when they introduced World subscriptions, but they went up again when the 1939 Register was added in 2016.

12. Bob Spiers

Oh dear, not normally a believer in the 'Fates' but today lunchtime I happened to be parked in a parking Bay (which are like gold dust) as my wife had alighted to go into a shop to seek out a Birthday card. I turned on the radio which happened to be tuned to Radio Four, and the programme in question was "You and Yours" and - wait for it - the topic under discussion was THE 1921 CENSUS. More to the point the invited guest was the person in charge of its digitisation from FMP (See what I mean about the 'Fates').

It was a lady but I was not in time to catch her name and the only distinctive thing I remember was she had either an American accent or Canadian. She told how she was there from the start in 2019 and recalls the very first boxes of Census Indexes which had to be scanned before tackling the actual Census boxes. The boxes were contained in 1.6 kilometre of shelving, and it had been a massive task and had taken the best part of 3 years to complete. She related some of the new things contained in the 1921 Census which included (for the first time) Divorce details, Names of Employers and of Materials used in their work. Those are the details I can recall but others were mentioned.

I do recall hearing that although online research would have to be paid for in a pay to view form (no actual costs mentioned) visitors to the National Archives at Kew would be able to view digital images for free. They will not be able to view the original paper returns just their digitised images.

I suppose hearing all this I should be chastened in my view, and to a certain extent I am, and although unlikely to be one who visits the NA it is comforting to know one can view for free. I will still be a reluctant 'pay to view' person, but I am unlikely to ditch my FMP subscription.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  13. peter

That's right - the same as for previous releases, and the same as for other TNA records. However, I think you will have to pay if you want to take digital or printed copies away with you.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  14. peter

Could it have been Mary McKee, who you can see in this video?

15. I’ve had an email from my good friend in London who said she's had an email from Kew about how FMP had spent 3 years transferring (sic) the records but no mention of it being free for viewers at Kew.
    In view of what Bob and Peter have said I'll ask her to confirm with Kew. She would be quite keen to visit, like she did in the old days before 't'internet'.

16. Does this mean you will make a payment for each individual record you order? I have visions of a rather long Visa statement, that is of course IF I decide to look at any entries.

I have never paid per view for any of the mentioned records.
    I used Ancestry for the 1911 census.
    I paid for a one year sub in 2016 for FMP so I could access the 1939 register and that cost £124.76.
    It didn't seem long before Ancestry had it.
    All good things come to those who wait, I'll wait until the 1921 census gets sucked into one of the annual subs.

17. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Have you tried asking if they can allow remote access to your local library? Here in Selwyn (near Christchurch) I am able to log-in to Ancestry at my local library from my home, using my library card details. Alternatively, take a thumb drive to save images on and transfer to your computer when back home.

18. It's on their website: no access from outside the library. We could during lockdown but we're at level 2 now. I'm not keen on the pay per view idea at all and as you can see in #36 I have avoided it all through my researching years.

19. peter

We don't really know. Findmypast talked about switching from credits to micropayments, which implied that they had some plan for aggregating purchases, but that's not what it says here.
    You must have been very patient. Three years after Findmypast released the entire 1911 Census only half of it had been added by Ancestry (see my article from December 2011).
    It was May 2018, so 2 1/2 years after it was first available at Findmypast.

20. Bob Spiers

Yes that makes sense, but after my Granddaughter told me I could not access from home using my Library card I asked (even though I had no intention of doing so) what about if I take a laptop to the Library to use their WIFI? She thought about that for a moment (as clearly IT is not her department) but finally said she was almost sure that would not be allowed. But whether she meant a Library Assistant would prevent me so doing, or there would be some formal password or other obstacle to overcome, I did not find out. I asked her to check for me but never heard any more on the subject and have forgotten since to enquire. (Mind you this information only applies to Kent Libraries and perhaps even to those covered by her region).