1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1921 census release

Discussion in 'More British Isles Resources' started by webwiz, Mar 15, 2021.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Many people got access for £89.99 through the offer in my January 2016 newsletter, with the option of a second year at the same discounted price.

2. I doubt I even read that newsletter as we left NZ on 28 Jan 2016 for 2 weeks in Oz. You can't win 'em all as they say.

3. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

She is the person who was in the video shown on Morning Live on Wednesday. It also showed the conservator repairing sections with Japanese tissue paper.

4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Here is an extract from TNA about that matter

Anyone will be able to view the digital images of the 1921 Census of England and Wales for free on the premises at The National Archives at Kew upon release on 6 January 2022 (00:01 GMT). The original paper census returns will not be available in the reading rooms. The paper records will be kept secure by The National Archives at their offsite storage facility and readers at The National Archives at Kew will be directed to the digital version. This is to ensure the preservation of the paper records for years to come. Searching the 1921 Census will be free on Findmypast but viewing any images or transcriptions will be on a pay-per-view basis using Findmypast micropayments.

I see the links have also copied across and I think will still work if you want more information.

5. Bob Spiers

Yes it certainly could and I believe Katie Bee has also confirmed same. (Interesting video by the way)

6. Katie Bee

Even though the fmp item on micropayments implies that you can use them now, I have tried and the option is not available.
    They must be saving it for the 1921 census, but it might have been worth them trying it out before then as there are sure to be problems.
    Nowadays most websites seem to let their customers test updates rather than testing them properly before going live.
    Commonwealth War Graves Commission comes to mind.

7. peter

Enlisting the help of customers is part of the process of testing updates, but it's the last part. The normal procedure is to test internally (alpha), then - after fixing any problems that have been discovered - test with a subset of customers (beta), before going live. Unless you were selected for the beta test you wouldn't usually know that one was taking place, although sometimes beta tests are opened up to everyone - this might be because feedback is being sought ahead of the official release, or to make sure that the infrastructure can cope with the volume, or to find out how customers use new features in practice.

Back in my days in the software industry a frequent comment from programmers (we didn't call them developers in those days) was "but they're not supposed to do that". Testers within the organisation aren't going to pick everything; I can remember that when we were developing a game to run on one of the popular consoles of the time the console manufacturer (it would have been either Nintendo or Sega) discovered that the game would crash if left on the title screen for more than a day. That's not the sort of thing that in-house testers are likely to pick up.

8. Katie Bee

That is how it used to be, but more and more I am finding that updates are put in place that certainly haven't been beta tested.
    Sometimes, I even wonder if they have been tested at all. For example the CWWGC update in 2020.

9. peter

Free sites usually won't be able to invest as much in development and testing, and they don't lose business if things go wrong. I'm not familiar with the changes that CWGC made in 2020, but bear in mind the possibility that you were taking part in the beta test.

Even when software has been thoroughly tested a small change in one area can have an unexpected impact elsewhere. It's very hard (and usually impossible) to prove that software is bug-free no matter how much testing is carried out.

10. Bob Spiers

Indeed it is, and I would confidently say (from having been an Alpha (Windows Insider) and Beta Tester -both as an Insider and by selection as a new user of software) that NOTHING is or can ever be (within the realm of reason) bug-free. I do not know how far up the Greek alphabet one would need to go to appoint testers but well beyond Delta. Perhaps, just perhaps, a letter or two before Omega.;)

11. Katie Bee

It was when they moved to a new website, here is the discussion about it on this forum
    They did admit to having "some of our regular features missing" and it was quite a list.
    They gradually got it all up and working again, but a little bit of testing would have helped the situation for the user.

12. peter

What makes you think they didn't do any testing?

13. Katie Bee

If they had followed the above they would not have had as many of their regular features missing when it went live.
    I hope that findmypast are following your advice when they go live with micropayments.

14. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

That's normally pretty obvious. A lack of many regular features should normally be detected and stop any release to customers. Unfortunately, management is often under enormous pressure to get the product out on schedule that quality suffers. I have even heard it argued that meeting the schedule is part of product quality. I used to counter that argument with, "No, you are confusing Product Quality with Project Quality."

I remember a statement made by a director of the company where I was working . . .

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting schedules is forgotten."

15. Bob, you have turned up trumps. Thanks so much. I have copied and pasted into an email to my friend.
    It will also help anybody else who is thinking about visiting TNA.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. peter

How on earth can you tell the difference between no testing and some testing? Sometimes new problems are introduced when faults revealed during testing are fixed; because the focus is on the issue that has been rectified, unexpected problems in other areas caused by the fix can be missed.

17. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

That's normally pretty obvious to most users. Checking only that the corrected feature now works does not constitute real testing. As I said before, if other features are no longer working then release to customers should not take place until 'appropriate and adequate' testing is done. The initial focus might be on the original issue but any worthwhile testing should include checks that other features appear to be still available, even if not all functions are rigorously retested. That then all comes down to the professionalism of the developer and overseeing project manager.

18. peter

How can the average user of a genealogy website, who is likely to have no personal experience of software development, possibly differentiate between software which is completely untested, and software which has been insufficiently tested? I've been designing, developing, and testing software for nearly half a century, but even I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

19. Bob Spiers

I think one could drive a bus through the phrase "appropriate and adequate" testing. There are always driving forces; a return on investment versus 'product integrity'. The Boardroom should never hold sway over Technical integrity, and to ensure integrity technicians need to test again and again. There has to be a pre-conceived level of testing which when achieved, and verified can justify the program's release. Even so 'bugs' will be found because the laboratory (even with external free range testing) will never replicate every conceivable piece of hardware, or the program's use and misuse, and so the need to issue patches and updates will forever be necessary. One can have an opinion on just how many such are needed and judge against past releases or how they shape up to a competitor; but that's about all.

20. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

You have missed a "nearly" before "always". It depends on the project status; for anything "life critical" testing will dwarf other aspects.