1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1921 Census - now on subscription

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by peter, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

Well, they certainly have got confused. My Pro sub is due to be renewed on 22 May next year. If follow the link to upgrade, it offers me the expected two choices - keep that or upgrade to the Premium. If I keep the Pro sub, it says it'll renew for £179.99 on 11 Oct 22. Er, no, I hope not!

Or if I upgrade, it will cost £28.72* and will renew for £199.99 on 22 May 23. That * leads to this: "*You have £93.47 worth of value left in your current subscription so when you upgrade, we’ll deduct that from the final amount you pay."

Now, if that's meant to be pro rata it's wrong (should be £122.19). And if they want to offer an upgrade for a part year, keeping the same renewal date, it can't possible be more than £20.00 can it? So both the amount and the dates are wrong.

Oh dear ... and I refuse to accept this is even slightly hard to get right.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I've written to my contact at Findmypast and am waiting for a reply. In the meantime I've updated the newsletter, and will do so again when the problem is fixed.

3. peter

But it's even easier to get wrong, as anyone who has been developing software for nearly half a century will tell you. Programmers are not like everyone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stuart

I've just spotted half the reason for those figures. They have applied my 15% loyalty discount to the upgrade, but not to the renewal quotes of £179.99 and £199.99. But the upgrade amount = £ 19.99 + (£20 * 0.85 * 0.52), where they think I have 52% of my sub still to run (I don't agree). So the fixed £19.99 is an addition, not a minimum, to the fractional year's upgrade. But the dates are still wrong!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  5. pennywise

pennywise LostCousins Star

I have just checked my Findmypast subscription and have now found that the cost for an upgrade from my Pro subscription to a Premium subscription has been amended to £19.99 instead of the £46.99 they quoted this morning. I have paid the £19.99 and am contented!

6. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Me too and I've now upgraded via the link in the newsletter at a cost of £19.99. Thanks, Peter.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  7. Jelv

Jelv New Member

Anyone else having issues with the FindMyPast links when using Firefox? When I click the link a new tab opens and immediately closes. Using Chrome works correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stuart

No - not seen that, and I'm using it now. To check my upgrade offer, of course - now £19.99, and that stuff about subtracting the remaining value has gone. But the renewals are both still wrong, undiscounted and one with the wrong date.

9. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

That sounds interesting - mine is due to renew next month - would you be able to share the link to get that discount please?

10. Helen7

My previous FMP sub had expired about a year ago, and just recently - out of the blue - I received an email from FMP which said "to tempt you back, we're offering 30% off your next 12-month subscription." When I clicked on the link in the email it took me to the offer page (where I think from memory I could select any level - I chose Pro), but if I click on the link now it just takes me to a page which says "You are already on the highest subscription". So it looked to have been a personalised link.

11. trebor

trebor LostCousins Member

Thanks - I will have to hope that they repeat the 25% discount that they have had for the last couple of years in November. But with the excitement that will be generated by the addition of the 1921 census I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

12. peter

So can I now update my newsletter to say that the problem is fixed, do you think? (This is addressed to everyone, by the way.)

13. Helen7

Well, problem has been fixed for me and pennywise, but Stuart seems to still be having some problems?

14. Stuart

Not really - the renewals they are showing are wrong, but I don't expect reality to be like that!

15. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

OK, I have two questions.

Firstly, I logged out of FMP and then back in after clicking the link. Is that the correct procedure for LC to get the commission?

I am being quoted the correct amount to upgrade. The renewal date for the premium subs is correct and the amount shown is undiscounted, but FMP always quote me the full price and then charge me the discounted price on renewal, so I'm not too worried about that.

The box with my current pro subscription in is showing today's date for the renewal, which is completely wrong, and the undiscounted renewal amount, but as above the amount doesn't surprise me. I don't think I care about that incorrect date as I'm going to select the upgrade, which does have the correct renewal date?

So, my second question is, does anyone think there's still a problem, before I upgrade?

16. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I didn't even noticed what I was doing... but I paid the AUD equivalent of £19.99 - which is just under $35. Thought that was a decent deal... Will have to see what happens when it rolls around to the new subscription update in May.

17. Stuart

Just for the record, here's the other half explanation of that apparently random upgrade offer. I had 223 days of my Pro sub, so the prorated value was £179.99 * 0.85 * 223/365 = £93.47, as they said. So the prorated discounted price differential is £20 * 0.85 * 223/365 = £10.39. But they had applied that 15% discount again, then added their £19.99 extra fee, to get £28.82 (not £28.72 as I said before). Why? Looks like doing stuff in a hurry to me.

18. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

As no one has answered either of my questions, can I take it that the answers are 'yes' and 'no'?

19. peter

If you're asking about whether you need to be logged-out for LostCousins to receive commission, the answer is that I don't know, but suspect it doesn't make any difference. What is likely to make a difference is the cookie settings, as if you have rejected marketing cookies that could well break the link.

I have been told by Findmypast that everything has now been fixed, so hopefully you will see the correct dates.

20. Helen7

Well, everything seems fine to me, though I wasn't aware of having to log out and back in to FMP after clicking the link. Perhaps Peter can confirm if that's necessary.

One reason I wanted to upgrade (apart from getting records of more distant relatives) is to get the transcripts of the records I'd already got the images for. Reason? To see the extra information, especially the list of all your relatives' workmates. I couldn't see how to get these from the images, but from the transcript it works a treat. You also get a description of their occupation and numbers (and a list) of people nearby with a similar occupation. I realise you can probably get this information by judicious searching, but selecting the transcript makes it easy.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    • Good tip Good tip x 1