1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1921 Census - now on subscription

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by peter, Oct 11, 2022.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Yes, spotted that earlier this morning.

3. peter

Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to publicise it until after 11am - it was embargoed.

4. Pauline

That seems tough, but I guess they have their reasons.

Our issue is that our subscription has only 15 days left until renewal making the £19.99 cost of upgrading now seem overpriced for us. So we may end up postponing the upgrade until the renewal date.

5. peter

Most press releases have an embargo time, though it's usually one minute after midnight, to ensure coverage in the morning papers, and perhaps on the TV/radio news.
    That makes sense - just remember to click my link before you resubscribe. Thanks!

6. Naomi

Naomi LostCousins Member

I have a Premium subscription which expires on 25 Mar 2023, and am being quoted £33.29 to upgrade to Pro.

7. pennywise

pennywise LostCousins Star

It's very exciting news. However, for me to upgrade to the Premium Subscription to the Pro Subscription would cost me £47. I have just paid today £152.99 to renew my yearly Pro Subscription so to upgrade today to the Premium Subscription of £199.99 would mean an extra cost of £47. How does the renewal cost of only £19.99, as mentioned by Peter and Pauline, apply? Am I missing something obvious?

8. peter

I suspect your current subscription is actually a Plus subscription?

To get access to the 1921 Census you need to upgrade to a Premium subscription, which is the most expensive subscription. £33.29 sounds about right - remember you'll also be getting newspapers and overseas records.

9. peter

The cost to upgrade is £19.99 for anyone with a current Pro subscription. Please remember to click my link!

10. pennywise

I have just checked again on findmypast and I am definitely being asked to pay £46.99 to upgrade from my Pro subscription to a Premium subscription.

11. Naomi

Naomi LostCousins Member

No it is quite definitely a Premium subscription, previously called Pro:

Payment History

Description Amount Status
    UK 12 Month Pro
    25 Mar 2022
    Invoice -£126.39 Paid

(I had a discount of £33.60)

12. Pauline

Normally I would, of course, but I'm not sure if it'll work for us to do that on this occasion as the upgrade will happen automatically at renewal.

13. Pauline

I gather that someone else who had a similar issue was told by FMP that there is a temporary glitch which they are sorting. So maybe try again later.

14. pennywise

Thank you for that. I will try again later today.

15. peter

No. the Premium subscription is a brand new subscription - the Pro subscription still exists, though I don't suppose many people will choose it from now on.

But, as Pauline, says there does seem to be a programming issue - Findmypast's press release was quite specific about it costing Pro subscribers precisely £19.99 to upgrade.

Please remember to use my link whenever you try again - you probably won't know in advance whether the problem has been fixed.

16. AlanB

AlanB LostCousins Member

It appears that you can't get the Premium subscription on a 14 day free trial. Shame.

17. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I have a 12-month Pro subscription, which I took out 2 weeks ago at a 30% discount. I am being offered an upgrade to Premium at a cost of £71.56 - whether I click on the link in the newsletter, Peter's post #1 above or go straight to FMP. Needless to say, I won't be upgrading at that cost.

18. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Often, I (lazily) let my subscription auto-renew :oops: but have just cancelled the sub (Plus) as only 5 days left! Based on previous renewals in this way, the only difference is I can use your link to renew/upgrade.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. Pauline

A shame yes, but not really surprising if you think about it. I read a post elsewhere hopefully suggesting getting the Premium sub on a free trial, downloading all your 1921 images and then cancelling the trial before paying. FMP are not daft!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. peter

It would be unfair to paying subscribers if you could.

• Agree Agree x 1