1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

1921 Census - now on subscription

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by peter, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Thanks both, I don't know where I got the logging out idea from, but must have been from somewhere irrelevant. I still see today's date as the renewal date in the box for my current pro subscription, but think that's also irrelevant as the date in the upgrade box is correct and that's the one that matters. So, I've upgraded.

2. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

... the confirmatory email says I've upgraded to pro rather than premium, but the account details on the FMP site are correct, so I'll ignore that as well! Am also ignoring that they've sent me the same email twice.

I worked in IT for 33 years so I know that it's not possible to get everything right all of the time.

3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Yes, I also got the same email twice yesterday, saying I'd chosen a new UK 12 Month Pro subscription. I also received another email today inviting me to 'resubscribe to Premium'. But I've just checked my account on FMP and all is in order, I have a premium subscription till 29 Sept 2023 (the anniversary of me taking out the Pro sub) and I can access the 1921 census without being asked to pay anything more.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

It still says of my existing Pro: "*Next bill £179.99 on 12 Oct 22". That date is nonsense, and while they could get away with saying the subscription price is £179.99, "next bill" is so specific it should have allowed the 15% discount. At least the Premium offer has the right renewal date.

I also think it should say clearly somewhere that the upgrade costing £19.99 is for the remaining duration of the current subscription, not a full year. It does not say that anywhere, you have to work it out from clues.Worse, it says "12 months" just above the two boxes showing the options, but what does that apply to? Only the two prices for annual subscriptions, I think, and nothing tells you explicitly that's what they are.

5. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I would have thought it would depend on how long the subscription has to go. FMP offered the upgrade for £28.34 as my Pro sub was paid May 22 due renewal May 23. I thought the increase fair and paid and my new renewal is now due Oct 23 and advised to be £199.99 if I remain on Premium.

6. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

That sounds like a great deal, Bob. If I read your post correctly, it seems you have been given a 5-month extension to your sub, plus the upgrade to Premium, for only an extra £28.34. I didn't get an extension to my renewal date (remains at 29 Sep 2023 as it was before) but just got the upgrade to Premium for the remaining 11 and a half months for a flat rate £19.99 as I expected.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

We know from other posts that renewal dates were shown inconsistently before the website was fixed. If they have given Bob an extension to your subscription that's brilliant, but he may find that the date alters.

If it does, Bob should claim a refund of the £8.35 he overpaid.

8. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Wow, if that's right it's a very good deal. You might need to keep your fingers crossed that they don't notice their mistake. My renewal was due in June 23 and is still due in June 23 and I paid £19.99 for the upgrade. I have to say that I was never offered a different price or date, though, otherwise I might be wishing I'd gone with it. My FMP account shows a renewal price of £169.99, which is the full price less the 15% loyalty discount.

9. Bob Spiers

Out of pure curiosity I checked again this morning at FMP and guess what - you are right - the extended subscription renewal of Oct 2023 has disappeared (I wish I had taken a screen shot as it showed originally) and the original renewal date now shows as May 23 (see below.)

upload_2022-10-14_9-2-1.png

So it looks as though I will have to claim a refund after all. So much for fingers crossed:(

10. peter

I would suggest leaving it for a week or two - so many people will have been affected by the problems that they'll probably process all the refunds in a batch.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  11. peter

Did anyone upgrade from Plus to Premium?

12. Bob Spiers

I know you said wait and see Peter, but I did message them anyway and today received the following email:

Thank you for your email.
    I can confirm that we have actioned the refund. Please allow up to 5 working days for this to be returned to your account.
    We apologise for any inconvenienc
    e this may have caused.

Thought others would like to know.

13. peter

Hopefully they will be more patient!

14. Bob Spiers

Not a virtue of mine I'm afraid and my mother understood this in me and was forever quoting ...
    Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can; seldom in a woman and NEVER in a man.

15. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

Yes, but only after my Plus sub had renewed (otherwise, an effective £29 penalty!).

A bit picky, but I have only looked at 6 families and submitted 2 corrections: "Formerly Tinplate Picker" to "Formerly Tinplate Pickler" and "Redside Maker" to "Redoxide Maker". The latter is a bit odd as it was written "RedOXide Maker" though I would not have been surprised with "RedOXide Malver".

16. peter

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.....

17. PhilGee

PhilGee LostCousins Member

I did transcribe for FreeBMD for some time, so know how tedious it is. However, the first item had no room for error - the handwriting was clear - though even then errors can easily occur (I regularly miss letters; my fingers cannot keep up with my brain :eek: ). The only answer I can fit is single keying of the records. The second is obviously a weird entry and not a dictionary word.

I knew the details of first one, as he went from "tin lister" in 1851 as a 16 year old , then moved to "washer" and finally "pickler". He is my only direct ancestor to appear on every census from 1841 to 1921, having died in 1924.

I have another direct ancestor born 1839 and died 1921 (after the census), but she does not appear in 1891/1901 after her second marriage to an Irish carter - where she was Ann instead of Ruth. In 1911/1921, she has reverted to her name after her first marriage and living with her son-in-law and younger daughter (but away from home in 1921) - age is 19 years out (see below).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  18. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

My FMP Pro subscription renewed today, and as requested, automatically upgraded to the Premium subscription at the same time. After the loyalty discount had been applied we paid £169.99, so although we had to wait for the upgraded 1921 access, it definitely worked out cheaper than upgrading a few weeks ago and then renewing.

19. Gulp! That sounds like a lot of money to me. If I double it to get an approximate NZD equivalent it is not far short of one week's income for me.

20. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Yes, but I saved £19.99 by not doing it earlier!

It does seem a lot of money if you stop and think about it, but before all the digitisation of recent years, we probably spent as much and more travelling to London and regional record offices to do the same research. For me it’s well worth the cost.

However, the main point I was making was, that having contacted FMP to ask to be upgraded at renewal, it all happened automatically and without issue.

• Agree Agree x 1