1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Watchout Caz might be about (soon)

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Jan 12, 2015.

1. AndyMick

AndyMick LostCousins Star

Could be that, Peter. I switched my laptop from Win8.1 to Linux Mint Cinnamon and haven't looked back.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Does it run all your Windows software, and if so how does the performance compare?

3. AndyMick

At present yes and no! I used to run VirtualBox on Win8 with WinXP as guest so I could run all the XP software that Win8 wouldn't run. All that transferred seamlessly across to Linux and I moved any vital software from Win8 to WinXP under VBox. I'm using Linux itself mainly for browsing and images. I'm in the process of getting Wine going which should allow me to run much of the Windows stuff directly under Linux, but given my current brain fog, that could take some time.

4. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Both good points and as a matter of fact Caz uses a laptop but not sure what size, likely not more than 15" I think that may be the base of her problems as I know from the beginning she asked me to increase my font when emailing her. I also understand what you mean about stopping and starting videos; have done that often. But in the end I always managed to get the benefit sought by these means. However I must consider not everyone has multiple monitors (Caz especially) and admit I should have thought of that.

However I recall her telling me her Grandson (clever on computers as she says and most are these days) has shown her how to increase font size, so perhaps she could do that when reading a PDF document. I presume this must be possible using the mouse scroll button (with or without CTRL) or even by adjusting the viewing percentage?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  5. Bob Spiers

Yes valid point Margery 'hand on' instruction is best by far unless it comes down to be showing my wife how to navigate around her laptop. 'He goes too fast and then 'tuts' when I don't cotton on immediately' was something she told a neighbour recently. As if?:)

6. peter

Yes, you can change the zoom factor on a PDF document whether it loads into Adobe Reader or a browser tab. However I've just realised that Getting Started guides I uploaded are HTML documents - so she'll need to use the Zoom in her browser (it sounds as if she needs to do this anyway).

7. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I have been given the task of trying out a hand me down Microsoft Surface tablet in my workplace where I often greet visitors and help them navigate our website. I must say that if I could have a more up to date version and customised to my own preferences I might be a convert to this portable option.

I like the fact that increasing the font size ( and changing the font ) and scrolling down are gracefully demonstrated although as a former adult trainer I've had to learn some new techniques. One of course is reading upside down if I am behind a counter and have the tablet facing the visitor so I much prefer it when I and the visitor can sit side by side. I had a lively chat the other day with a wheelchair bound visitor who had been using a small lap top but loved the light weight of the tablet. It occurs to me that Caz might enjoy this more intimate introduction as it is possible to proceed very slowly.

No matter where I come across seniors in search of information I am surprised with the absolute refusal by some to consider using any on line format. It's less than 5 % but still I find it mind boggling. Strangely it seems a bit of a phenomenon among retirees who experienced the clunky computers of the early days. It is said with such pride by some former librarians and others who handled masses of information in their daily pre-retirement lives. Most of the people in this category I have talked to are not isolated, cash strapped or otherwise unable to access a computer at least a few hours a week.

8. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Sounds like my daughter:confused:. Daughter-in-law is much more patient, though:).

9. Bob Spiers

Good news on that front as she tells me she has a 17" laptop screen anyway (which is better than I thought) and 'the one thing I do know is my Grandson taught me how to alter the font, style & colour' ( and to prove it her email was blue text about 16 font). So likely she would adjust via the Zoom anyway. Doesn't solve her comprehension of what she reads but at least any eyesight problems are overcome.

10. Bob Spiers

Caz may be a little slow on the uptake when it comes to computers but her latest missal to me bemoans that she cannot use the Censuses of 1891 & 1901 in Lost Cousins because those are the very Censuses she prizes for housing details of her immediate past ancestors (Great and Grand parents); although she admits to liking 1911 as well. She even went so far as to say they were the reason she subscribed to Ancestry as she found the free 1881 Census lacking (no explanation in what way). As for 1841 she tells me she hasn't even covered 1871 or 1861 fully yet, never mind further back.

I am well aware why Peter chose and promotes 1881 first and he has explained his reasons many times, and I agree entirely with him. I have explained to Caz the logic behind promoting 1881 as the first point of reference and have asked her to concentrate on that Census. If I can get around to helping her via Team Viewer (or any other means) I will ask up front for the Census references and household names (or household names alone if I need to search on her behalf) and enter her 1881 ancestors into LC... 'until the penny drops'! (and those are her words not mine).

11. Bob Spiers

Has anyone come up with an explanation of the abbreviation REW yet fellow Forum foragers?:)

12. peter

In case anyone has forgotten, it was chosen because it was (and still is) the only England & Wales census that is free online - this means that nobody has to pay to find their relatives or, most importantly, look up the census references if they didn't note them down originally.

13. peter

I think we need to see the entry - I've wasted many, many hours looking into problems only to find that the information has been mistranscribed or has become garbled in transit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AndyMick

This should probably be a different thread but I'll leave that to the experts. I've just got my first programme going under Linux/Wine - and it's Genopro :) It works a treat and seems quicker than with Win8 although I can't compare directly as it's a sort of dual boot setup. HTH Peter.

15. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Getting Wine going? How did I miss this post? I'll have a large red please.

16. Bob Spiers

Hold on he didn't say what vintage or grape; you can't just accept any vin de plonk:)

17. Bob Spiers

I only asked if anyone had come across the abbreviation REW before I took time out to research it myself. If and when I do find out I will post same on the Forum.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  18. Bob Spiers

I checked out the Ancestry 1921 Dorset Electoral Register after Caz provided me details of her Grandmother's residence after her second marriage. Sure enough it showed under 'Street Address' just 'Rew' and the same in the image, although I noticed a handful of other residents also shown as (presumably living in) Rew. A Google search showed Rew is actually a place name -or rather a small rural hamlet - about a mile from Martinstown in West Dorset. There is a Lower Rew and even an East Rew and a Rew Lane.

Caz only knew of Martinstown and was not aware of Rew as a place. I have explained this to her and mystery solved. And woe betide anyone who makes reference to it being something I will rue:rolleyes:

19. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Yup he would :p

20. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

On using TeamViewer yes it's free for private use. To use visit the TeamViewer Site and click on the big green download button, then just follow the install by clicking next a few times to accept the defaults. This installs a copy of TeamViewer client and gives the machine a unique ID and a one time use password. Bob you as the "controller" would then request the ID and enter that into your TeamViewer's "connect to partner" box. It will then prompt for the password once you enter that you can see the other person's screen. Note having some sort of voice communication going whilst you remote control is so much quicker than having to type something to communicate.

Note the password will change the next time the person runs TeamViewer (or if they click the password refresh button) so the fact that you have remote controlled the machine once doesn't give you access again without being told the new password.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1