1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Watchout Caz might be about (soon)

Discussion in 'General Genealogical Queries' started by Bob Spiers, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

I was cheered earlier today to receive an email from an old genealogical sparring partner, a lady named Caz (I think Carol but woe betide if you don’t refer to her as Caz). Like me she is of senior years and as I had not long recommended her to join LC (perhaps for the second time I am not sure) I was pleased to read her email was a follow up to my recommendation that she join LC and asking for more information. (More of that in a moment).

When I referred to her as a sparring partner that might give a wrong impression, as we are both very much on the same wavelength and have had many a laugh communicating with each other in the past. She is a true Black Country (BC) girl. For those who do not know the term it is the area north of Birmingham (West Midlands) and formerly the ancient Manor of Sedgley (today the Metropolitan District Councils of Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall & Wolverhampton). It earned its name from the smoke emanating from the countless number of ironworking foundries and forges and the abundance of coal found in the region.

BC is a dialect all its own and is often confused with ‘Brummie’ although native speakers of each would argue quite differently, whilst accepting both are undeniably derived from the same roots. BC dialect is said to be the closest one can get to Early English and ‘Ow we spake’ and likely not that different to the dialect Shakespeare would have understood and perhaps spoken.

Caz has now indicated to me that she intends to give LC ‘a go’ after I assured her it was as easy as ABC (or however that was pronounced in the Black Country, earning me a broadside of ‘watchit mate’). An experienced Family Historian in her own right, perhaps daunted by IT but she has a grandson who puts her right on such things.

We first encountered one another through a Tree match (can’t remember if it was Ancestry or Genes). From memory I do not think we are cousins as such but she stands good chance of getting matches once she has got to grips with entering data from the 1881 Census at least. Let us hope so anyway.

I have told her she should consider joining the Forum and contribute and if she does perhaps in time, she will be a welcome addition, even if you do need Google Translate to make sense of it. (Actually not true her English is rustic but makes perfect sense and is full of humour). She has made me laugh many a time telling me about (here the names and situations are made up will give you the flavour) ‘Uncle Ebenezer taking a mistress’, or ‘her x cousin x removed ending in the mad house’, or even ‘ there’s something funny going on in that family’. Music to my ears and she really is a lovely person. Let’s hope she joins and gets the benefit and perhaps we find her on the Forum one day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Bob Spiers

I can now confirm the 'Beagle';) has landed after a little bit of trial and error is now registered on LC. I wish her welcome and hope she graces the Forum in due time.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Peter would need to specifically invite her as currently, as I understand it, the forum is invitation only. Usually by a code on their LC page.

4. Bob Spiers

Yes I understand that Alexander.

5. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I was hinting that you might wish to drop Peter a note and ask.

6. Bob Spiers

I will leave it for a while until I know how she is coping with LC and then perhaps yes. Thanks

7. Bob Spiers

Oh dear, dear me. I made contact with my old time (somewhat senior but I never said so) fellow researcher friend Caz and find her admitting she is stuck and daunted by her first attempts to enter her LC Ancestor details. It does not help of course that she is still a mere babe in arms when it comes to computers -though she has mastered emails if her witty communications are anything to go by - but filling in 'blinkin forms' she tells me is like being back at school and blows her mind.:(

Now it is of course easy for those of us who began a fair while ago and perhaps with some clerical flare and IT literacy had little or no problems. At ease perhaps with Ahnentafel numbers, Census references and genealogical speak, but it does make me wonder if Peter's often voiced lament that there are people who have not begun to enter their ancestors, is bound up in the same mystification of how to go about it? I have revisited the 'Read this first' page and of course it all makes perfect sense as you would expect for me, and no doubt many others; but not everyone apparently!

I am doing my best to help Caz and may try a screen shot of the Ancestor page and take her through it, and likely suggest her grandson helps her with her first few entries. Once she grasps the principles I am sure there will be no stopping her (he says hopefully). I live too far away to be of help in any 'hands-on' way but I wonder if there is a way to simplify things in an ABC type format. Suggestions welcomed.

8. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Have you considered screen sharing and taking control remotely so that you can show here what to press and where to add the info?

TeamViewer is good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I sympathise with Caz. Although I have been using a computer for several years and write a mean email, can send attachments, etc, download photos, shop online and look up Google I find that technology has overtaken me. There just seems to be so much assumed knowledge among the younger generation. Add to this I am struggling with my new laptop with Windows 8.1. Recently I was speaking to an acquaintance who gives computer lessons and she spoke of an 88 year old client who had just bought a new computer, I asked if it had Windows 8.1 and she replied "oh no, I wouldn't do that to him" - says it all:confused:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I suspect Caz hasn't looked at the Getting Started guide on the Help & Advice page. It shows - with illustrations - how to find a household on the 1881 census, where to get the information from, and how to enter them.

There are versions of the guide for Ancestry users, Findmypast users, and FamilySearch users. It's designed to help a new member enter their first household - of course, once you've entered one, the rest are easy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. peter

And yet, older people using technology for the first time generally find tablets easier to use than computers!

Perhaps the real problem is that many computers sold with Windows 8 don't have touch screens? I have one laptop with and one without and it makes an enormous difference - without a touch screen Windows 8 is simply a hindrance (Windows 10 is said to be a big improvement).

12. Bob Spiers

That is a good idea Tim, and were it anyone else but Caz might be the perfect solution. I have used the Microsoft's old remote assistance in the past and helped fix family PC's that way (and a couple of times IT Pro's have helped me in the same way). I have not used Team Viewer which I see is free for private use and I think I will ask her to let me know when her Grandson is with her, and providing that fits in with my own time at the computer, try connecting at that time. Leave that with me and I will download Team Viewer and see how it works. Thanks for the idea.

By the way I tried a screen shot of the LC Ancestor page and provided some step by step instructions which she admits has taken away some of the mystery and is 'going to give it a go'. As Peter says once you have accomplished one-better still a household and learned to navigate your way round - the rest most definitely is easy.

13. Bob Spiers

I only have Windows 8(8.1) on a non-touchscreen laptop and almost from the start (on recommendation) downloaded the Class Shell interface (mentioned in the Forum before) which quickly overcame touch screen problems and gave back the Start button. So now to all intent I have a Win 7 desktop with the benefit of Win 8 improved working, and even better as 8.1.

I agree from what I read that Windows 10 (code named Spartan) will hopefully be a big improvement over both its predecessors.

14. AnneC

AnneC LostCousins Star

I also find Team Viewer to be very good, often used to help my 84 year old father with computer problems he knows how to fix but has "just forgotten"!

15. Bob Spiers

Received email from Caz telling me she actually had a go at entering her Grand father in LC and thinks she may have made a start with the help from my screen shot. Will keep my eye on that but she actually asked me a question that I could not answer -aside from Lost Cousins. She asked if I knew what the term/initials REW stood for when viewing her Grandfather's residence in the Electoral Roll (presume on Ancestry as I know she uses that). I have asked to provide more information but meanwhile wonder if anyone has a likely explanation I can pass on and where better to ask?

16. peter

Bob, did you check that she had found the Getting Started guide? If that isn't proving sufficient for new members then I need to know urgently what's missing as there have been a lot of new members joining since Christmas.

Thanks!

17. Bob Spiers

Will find out for you

18. Bob Spiers

Well she responds not unexpectedly (as I know her reasonably well) with the excuse she is a duffer (her words) at reading guides ( I think it may also have to do with poor eyesight as her emails are always large text, and mine back as it happens), but she adds she always responds well after being shown and once 'it has sunk in' she is fine. Of course being shown as far as LC is concerned is not really an option (which is why I may well follow through with that) but I did wonder if that is something you might consider?

I am thinking along the lines of a YouTube style video as I have followed a few of those, from 'how to' cooking demonstrations and carry out a complicated hardware or software modifications on a computer. The old maxim 'actions speak louder than words' can be very true providing well made, filmed and the commentary understood. Of course it can also be done in stage 1, 2 3 etc., screen shots, the more pictorial the better. Food for thought anyway.

19. peter

Perhaps she needs to get a larger monitor? If she is struggling to read a PDF document she is going to be hopeless when it comes to handwritten census pages and parish registers.

I find instructional videos completely useless - I have keep stopping and starting and winding backwards and forwards. In any case, how is someone supposed to complete their My Ancestors page while watching a video? Surely they can't - but they can print out a PDF document or have it up on their screen (if their monitor is large enough).

20. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Bob, most adults respond well to learning in a "hand on" situation, particularly one-to-one or in small groups. I would be surprised if instructional videos would suit the learning needs of many. I am full of admiration for anyone who can grasp new technology (or any new subject) without the support of an experienced trainer. (I'll pin my colours to the wall - adult education is/was my field!).