1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Some new members aren't following the advice on posting links - please read it!
  3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. Both the main LostCousins site and this forum have been upgraded to that you can log-in securely. If you are not automatically taken to the secure site simply add https:// at the beginning of the URL.
  5. Guest - have you tested your DNA with Ancestry? Do you have English or Welsh ancestors, and do you know which counties most of them came from? If so please take part in my project by completing the NEW spreadsheet and uploading the results
  6. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join please register NOW!

Version 7.0.0 Available plus early MAC version available

Discussion in 'Family Tree Analyzer' started by Alexander Bisset, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I presume you don't want me to mention the Mac version in the newsletter just yet?

3. Alexander Bisset

It's a bit early Peter the Mac version really doesn't do that much useful to the user. The major hurdle I overcome was getting it to actually load a file and analyse it :)

Now that bit is done I've added a few initial screens but it's nowhere near as useful as the windows version just now. That said I thought forum members on a Mac may wish to take it for a test drive rather than the general readership of the newsletter. There's a big risk of people flooding me with "why doesn't it do X" type comments if they aren't aware of how developed it is. Not everyone gets the concept of beta software (actually closer to alpha software).

Now the clocks have changed I'm more likely to spend time indoors and work on the Mac version. So it may deserve a wider audience by spring. Although no promises :)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Member

I would love to test drive your Mac version - it will eventually make my life a lot easier to check for mistakes on my tree (rather than exporting a GEDcom to my dropbox, then having half a second on my work PC to access FTA to have a look for problems.... etc).

Is there anything particularly you want me to look for?

5. Alexander Bisset

Well at present it only has a few of the reports so it's more about me adding functionality than testing as at this stage most of the functionality in the windows version is missing from the Mac. However it does load a tree it does show errors and fixes so it may be of use it's just not anywhere near as complete as the Windows version.

6. jorghes

Oh it's very useful - been using it to remove errors already. I look forward to seeing more features when they're added.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Star

I am also a Mac user and have been trying out FTA for the first time this afternoon (having never used the Windows version, so it's all completely new to me). I have found it very useful for spotting 'duplicate' errors in my tree. The program is very easy to use, the GEDCOM loaded nicely and I like the interface with information clearly displayed. The 'default' column width is not really a problem as it's easy to adjust these. The 'loose births' and 'loose deaths' lists are useful (based on ages of children and lifespan it seems) and will act as a prompt for me to investigate these further. I was also impressed when it pointed out where a person in the 1939 register did not have an exact birthdate entered.

I assume the 'Families' list is not properly developed yet in the Mac version, as many of the 'families' listed only have 1 person, and often this is a female listed as the 'husband' (which has generated a lot of errors in the errors/fixes list!). The families all appear fine in my Family Tree Maker 2017 tree (and on the synced Ancestry tree), with the correct genders, so I've just ignored this list for now. The sources, occupations and fact lists all look good.

As jorghes said, I look forward to seeing more features as the Mac program is developed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Member

I just downloaded this. I had seen many references to it in other forums but never knew what it was. So, I found many errors relating to dates, but there are some listed that are not really errors at all, just appear to be because they involve both spouses having the same last name. My grandmother's parents were first cousins; they are listed there, as were a few couples in my husband's tree; I am not entirely sure about them though. How do I mark those as not really being errors?

9. jorghes

I have a bunch of first-third cousins who shared the same names marrying, there's no way that you can really stop that coming up as an error. I just check and then ignore. It's designed to pick up those errors where you accidentally added someone who does need a different surname.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1