1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

To inform the debate - How Scotlands People works pros & cons

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by Alexander Bisset, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

As users will probably be aware those of us that have Scottish Ancestors are blessed with two significant benefits. Firstly the records kept in Scotland were significantly more detailed than those in England and secondly we have had online access to the records for as long as I've been researching which is over 10 years.

So I thought it might be useful to highlight the features that are good about Scotlands People and those that are not so good. This might help inform the debate about not only what is possible but what might be desired as part of the English records being made more widely available.

Firstly I'd say being able to search and view the image there and then is extremely useful. Having the facility to print off and save the image for later use is also very useful.

With the Scottish records there is a clear distinction between viewing a record online and ordering a certificate. You can view an image and save it as I said but that is strictly for your "personal use/research" it has no legal significance. This costs 5 credits which at current rates is £1.20 for a "certificate". You can however also order a certified copy, this has special legal significance in that it comes on printed watermarked paper is stamped with a seal. The point is that this form of certificate which is the only thing you can currently get in England is legal proof of birth, marriage, death and is admissible in court.

It is this extra significance that adds to the cost. I would very very strongly say that there needs to be a clear distinction in the offerings from the GRO as a result of their review. They clearly still need to provide legally admissible documents and these can continue at the current or even higher cost. However for family history all we need is to see the details on the form it is very very rare that we would need legally binding documents to prove in court a relationship.

In Scotland a certificate is rather expensive and costs £12 whereas simply viewing and being able to save and print off your own copy of the image of the register page costs just £1.20 ten times cheaper.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. Alexander Bisset

One of the downsides of Scotlands People is that it is currently a pay-per-view site rather than a monthly or annual subscription. Note that the cost for the number of records you'd typically view is not that different from FMP or Ancestry however the fact that every single time you view anything it costs credits means you are acutely aware of racking up costs. With a subscription model you've already paid so don't notice the cost as much.

It's a subtle difference but it does significantly affect the attitude to using the site. I've experienced similar with pay minutes for mobile phones and pay per minute internet access. In all cases because you are aware of the price for using the service it tends to make you artificially limit what you do. Whereas a subscription model might actually mean you spend more but you feel liberated to search whenever you feel like it and don't feel the same "restrictions". It's a strange psychological thing but one to be acutely aware of.

I've argued that if the Scottish Parliament were to amend the regulations to allow Scotlands People to introduce a subscription model then they would probably see a significant jump in revenue as people would pay up front and use the service rather than holding back.

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

Something very good about ScotlandsPeople is how easy it is to make personal contact - almost instantly - with the people running it if you have a query. I've found them extremely helpful and on more than one occasion, someone has gone out of her (each time it was a 'her') way to help me track someone down - without taking an extra penny and also, unfortunately, without success.

4. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I actually quite like the "pay-per-view" approach on ScotlandsPeople - it has allowed me to stop using it when I've run out of Scottish relatives to search - i.e. when I first started researching my g-grandfather's family and reached the dead end which told me higher extensions of his family were actually born in Ireland; and go back to it when I realised one branch of that family which I thought was a dead end had remarried and I had some more to search.

It also allows me to randomly search other parts of my father's family (who primarily emigrated to Australia prior to 1840), who emigrated from Scotland (my mother's side is at this point, completely within England and Wales).

If it was a subscription, then I would paying considerably more since I'm Australian and currently the pound is worth pretty much double the Australian dollar. ScotlandsPeople does not deal in any other currency than pounds, which is fair enough, but the pay-per-view means that I'm not coughing up a subscription which could be considered quite cheap for those in the UK, but costs double for someone like me who is researching their Scottish ancestors.

5. Alexander Bisset

My point was that I would strongly encourage the consultation response to offer both a pay per view AND a subscription model. In the consultations with the Scottish Government the suggestion is to amend the regulations to allow a subscription model, not to replace the pay per view but to offer an alternative for those that prefer to pay a subscription.

My other basic point still stands too, for ANY product if you are paying each and every time you use a service you notice the price and cost of the service far far more than if you pay once and just use the service, you tend to forget the price.

So encourage a variety of payment plans to suit the needs and pockets of those accessing the services rather than a one size fits all. Making sure to put the argument about subscription models usually generating on average more income than pay per view because of the psychological barriers we invent when using pay per view.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Very true, Alexander. This also applies to health care. Here in NZ it costs over $40 for a consultation with one's local GP and that does make one stop and think before nipping round for a little 'chat'.

7. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

On that basis someone who lives in Japan would be paying 191 times as much!

In November 2013 the average full-time wage in Australia was $74,724; in April 2012 the average full-time wage in the UK was £26,500. It seems to me that subscriptions are actually cheaper for Australians who are in work; I'm sure that, as in this country, most retired Australians have much lower incomes, but I suspect the arithmetic is similar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alexander Bisset

One other feature of Scotlands People that is absolutely invaluable and one that everyone would absolutely want in an English system but isn't immediately apparent. That is the previous search index.

Basically every time you do a search it remembers the search results and you can search the search results. This might not make much sense so a screen shot may help.

You will see from below that date and time of each search and what was searched. If you click the view button you get back the search results for that search without paying for any more credits.
    Scotlands People Search.png

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Alexander Bisset

Especially important is the search form at the bottom of the page. As I'm doing a one name study I have done searches of ALL Bisset births, marriages, deaths and census records. ie: I did a search for Bisset as a surname with variants with no forename for each of the categories. This then generates a search result with say 25 pages, 25 records to a page. I stepped through each page and that got recorded in the "previous search" results and cost 25 credits 1 per page - which is just under £6. So now when I'm doing my searches I never spend any credits for searching my Bissets I only spend credits to view the images.

To view the images I go to the search form at the bottom of the previous searches page enter Bisset in the name filter and Aberdeen (or Kincardine, or Banff etc ie: the county name) in the location filter and tick the boxes to filter. This gives the second image as a result, note the dates some are 2010 etc. So 5 years later and I can still revisit for free the previous searches.

upload_2015-6-10_10-18-52.png
    upload_2015-6-10_10-27-12.png

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wendye

Wendye New Member

I like the pay-per-view system at ScotlandsPeople, but it would be nice to have the option of paying a six month or yearly subscription.

I would also like to see ScotlandsPeople add Parent Names to the search forms for post 1855 searches. Even if I only have one name of one parent it would help narrow the search.

I am pleases with the service from ScotlandsPeople. Everyone has been most helpful when I have had a problem reading the documents. They have refunded my credits when a document was totally illegible and they have brightened other documents and transcribed some of them for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2015
  11. Gillian

Gillian LostCousins Star

I agree with Wendye, particularly about the helpfulness of the staff at ScotlandsPeople. Not only do they reply immediately to queries and do everything else Wendy mentioned but they go out of their way to help with searches. At least, that's my very happy and satisfied experience. However, despite their help I still haven't found my 3xgreat grandfather, probably George Gunn married to a Margaret MacDonald.

12. peter

Perhaps we can come up with a list of fields that we'd like to be able to use when searching the historic England & Wales registers, with hypothetical examples of why each might be important? At the moment we're restricted to using the fields in the paper indexes.

It's also worth noting that there are also searches that could be carried out using the existing indexes but which none of the sites currently offers. For example, you can't search specifically for illegitimate children (ie where the mother's maiden name is the same as the surname) even after 1911, nor can you carry out cross index searches - eg births vs deaths, which would be very useful for screening out births of children who died as infants.

13. peter

Ahead of my meeting with the GRO on Monday I'd like to get some practical experience of searching and viewing BMD records at Scotlandspeople (I have some credits that were reactivated). Rather than pick names at random, I'd rather search for specific individuals: does anyone have some Scottish relatives I can look up - ideally ones whose records you haven't previously looked for, so that it's a more realistic test?

14. AdrienneQ

AdrienneQ Moderator Staff Member

Peter how about my husbands ancestors I have all this information via his Military records (Brook or Brooks)

How about Robert Brook 5 Feb 1828 Abbey, Renfrewshire
    He joined the Royal Hours Guards in 1848

Father
    David Brooks 17 June 1802 – 1859

Mother
    Elizabeth May – Married 13 June 1823

Possible Brother
    John 1824
    I am sure there will have been other siblings

15. peter

Civil registration didn't begin in Scotland until 1855, so unfortunately there's not much I can do with that family. I did look for the father's death but the only entry I found was a David Brooks who died aged 50 in Falkirk (he was a nailer, and his death was registered by his son John).

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  16. Willibrod

Willibrod LostCousins Member

My great great father Robert Bell born Dumfries 30 june 1887 1888 or 1890
    He gave different ages on the census 1911 marriage and military records
    Census 1911 born in Wanlockhead Drumfries age 21 (1890)
    Marriage cert Father Name John Bell Stonemason Age 25 (1888)
    Military 30 june 1887
    Death certificate age 77 in 1965 (1888)

17. peter

I'm afraid I couldn't find him - it was annoying not to be able to search using his birthday after being used to searching the 1939 Register. I looked at 10 records before I realised that I was close to running out of credits.

The only Robert Bell whose birth was registered in Wanlockhead between 1886-1891 was born on 21st July 1889, and whilst his father was a John Bell, his occupation was 'lead ore smelter'. You can see this Robert Bell on the 1891 and 1901 Censuses - his mother was Jane.

BTW, you might want to redo your birth year calculations - if he was indeed born on 30th June and was shown as 21 in 1911 this implies that he was born in 1889, not 1890.

18. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Hopefully one or two of these may be helpful:

I've been attempting to find a death register for Ann Jamieson McMillan, nee Lamond born (listed as "Lamont") in Neilston, Renfrew in 1809, married in 1836 to David McMillan, with one son, Jamieson Lamond McMillan born abt 1838 (a birth register for him would also be much appreciated!). Then she vanishes... David McMillan remarried in 1840 to Mary Park in Paisley, Renfrew, the family also appears in the 1841 & 1851 censuses in Renfrew before they emigrate in 1852.

Or a birth register and possible parents for one Jane Martin (apologies for the plain name!) born around 1820 and marrying Archibald Umpherston in 1840 in Cambuslang, Lanark; on the parish register she is listed as living in the parish of Ruthveglen. (that family emigrated in 1850 and the approximate birth year comes from her death register from Australia). She appears on the birth registers of her daughters in Elizabeth (1842), Ann (1844), Margaret (1847) and Jane/Janet (1849) in Cambuslang in one large baptism in about 1849. I have not found Jane and Archibald in the 1841 census.

Or for those post 1855 and civil registration:
    the Wright family: descendants of John Wright (1796-1866) and Elizabeth Tait (1809-1861) - both born in Ireland, married in 1825 in Kirkmichael, Ayr and their children (all born in Kirkmichael) - a lot of this information would need to be checked:
    Robert (1826-?) m. Jane Wilson & Isabelle Hayburn?
    Mary Anne (1828-1889) m. George Howard?
    Andrew (1835-?)
    Elizabeth (1836-?)
    Ellen (1839-1910?)
    John (1842-1905?)
    Janet (1845-1910?)
    William (1848-?) m. Mary Crawford?
    James (1851-1926?) m. Jessie Livingstone?
    Thomas (abt 1854-1928) m. Jane Forbes

I do know most of the information I need to about Thomas Wright & Jane Forbes (1857, Kent - 1945 Nairn); married in 1880 in Edinburgh; and he moved all over Scotland as a Coachman and their children: Jane Forbes, Elizabeth Tait, Henry Forbes, William Thomas, John Andrew, James Hay Shaw, Helen Janet Mary, Jessie Ford and Mary Gertrude Montgomery, but feel free to dig into Jane's parents: Jane Forbes (1827 St Cuthberts, Midlothian - 1913 Edinburgh) & Henry Forbes (?? maybe 1812 - 1858 India) who were married in 1853 in Edinburgh, Henry was a Private in the 79th Cameron Highlanders.

19. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

According to family hearsay, my grandmother's brother Thomas Fraser, b. 12 July 1877 in Nairn, married and had two daughters, one of whom was called Mabel. I think they continued to live in the Nairn area where he had a poultry farm. In the 1901 census he was still living with his parents and other family members at 9 Wilson Street, Nairn, so he will have married after the census date. Fraser was possibly the most common surname in Nairn at that time! Any help gratefully received.

20. peter

I think the 1911 Census would be the best option - if he did marry it's likely to have been before 1911 so you'll see him with his wife and possibly one or both daughters.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1