1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

To inform the debate - How Scotlands People works pros & cons

Discussion in 'England & Wales BMD registers' started by Alexander Bisset, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

I have a huge amount of record examples. If you give me an idea of the sorts of things you want to test I can pick examples of things that might show that feature then set you it as a task to see if you can find the info. Eg: something that highlights a particular way of searching.

Note searching the pre-1855 records is also possible at Scotland's People as unlike England all the parish records that are known were surrendered to the Registrar and have been digitised. The only issue with pre-1855 is the lack of standardisation and the limited info available.

Some particular things to note: you should find a record from 1855 as these have dramatically more information than post 1855, and it is to be lamented that it didn't continue as then the Scottish records would have been even more beneficial than they currently are. 1855 death records and 1855 birth records are of particular interest.

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Thanks, Alexander - I was able to carry out sufficient tests in advance of Monday's meeting and will be reporting on that meeting in my Christmas newsletter.