1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The new Find My Past is coming......

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by emjay, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ggc-k

ggc-k New Member

Specifically for Lost Cousins...the details needed to entry a new cousin seem to have vanished. All I get for a Scotland 1881 census is the Archive Reference of RG11, with dashes for Piece, Folio and Page. I can't enter any more cousins with that info!

2. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Sabotage!?! How is it for E&W?

3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately if findmypast is your only source for Scotland 1881 you'll have to wait until they reinstate the references. Other sources are Ancestry, the FamilySearch CD ROM set, and Scotlandspeople.

4. alanmack

alanmack LostCousins Member

. . . and the future of the FamilySearch CD-ROM is under some sort of cloud as it is reputed not to run on anything later than the doomed Windows XP. I have access to this CD from my local Library and they run XP Pro (having only recently upgraded from Win2K Pro) so what happens next is anyone's guess. They are extremely unlikely to step up to Win 7, and of course Win 8 is 64-bit only. Running anything in 'emulation' would not be simple to set up for the public, so perhaps they can be persuaded to keep an unconnected (from the Library's network and the Internet) standalone machine just for this and other reference CD-Roms in a similar position.

Alan

• Good tip Good tip x 1
  5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Why is it SO slow now? mad.gif

6. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Tim, perhaps it is so popular, that it is experiencing heavy traffic;)?

7. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Tim your little headbanger is causing me distress to look at - can you take him away? please?

8. Tim

So when everybody leaves it will get faster? That's a good marketing ploy!!

• Misleading Misleading x 1
  9. Tim

It's how I felt while I'm watching the 2 green arrows chase each other round and round and round.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tim

Maybe the other reason that FMP is slower is because of it's involvement with the Lives of the 1st World War project?

It looks like they're using FMP's data and search engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Britjan

Britjan LostCousins Star

I noticed the reference to DC Thomson Family History on the website but it took me a while to cotton on to who they were. It will be useful to remember this when I've used Ancestry information as the only source in my tree.

12. peter

Can't say that I've noticed a particular problem with the speed of findmypast's site. An All Records search for my surname in British records took just over a second to find 36,000 results (all right, 35,994). Surprisingly Smith didn't take any longer, even though it found over 10m results.

Maybe you're just doing the wrong searches, Tim?

13. Tim

I feel like I'm always doing the wrong searches!! :)

It does seem to be faster now.

14. peter

Perhaps you got upgraded to the VIP subscription?

15. Tim

There's a VIP subscription? I'm sure that must be reserved for Lost Cousin founders' only? :)