1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The new Find My Past is coming......

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by emjay, Jan 27, 2014.

1. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Yes, same here, in fact I think have had two previous notifications. Like you always wary of 'new improved' and if anything like Ancestry, likely good reason.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

I'm trying to get a sneak preview, but so far no luck....

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Could be interesting. One sentence says a few weeks, the next a few months. As long as they are clear...

What improvements will you see?

A brand new family tree
    We are very pleased to launch our brand new family tree builder. This tree will allow you to clearly record all of the details you find about each of your ancestors, storing source material, adding facts and events to each relation and seeing a clear timeline of their life.

A new way to search
    We have made some changes to the way you search the records that gives you far more control and should help deliver even more accurate results. These changes will allow you to search across selected categories of records (for example Census records and Military records at the same time) and filter based on keywords, records sets and country. You'll be able to search all censuses at once for the first time too.

New records every month!
    The improvements we have made to the site will allow us to release new records far more frequently. In fact, we are confident that there will be new records on the site every month! So keep an eye on our blog and for emails from us letting you know which records are the latest to be added to the site.

A new look and feel
    You may notice that the site looks a bit different – we have tidied up and given the site a fresh new feel. If you are struggling to find anything please contact our support team

When will the changes take place?
    Over the new few weeks, we will be moving all members on to the new site, but this will be a gradual process.

What do you need to do?
    Absolutely nothing! If you are keen to be one of the first to experience the new site then you can join the queue here. If you cannot see this link please log in.

thank you for your interest
    Alternatively, you will be moved automatically within the next few weeks and we will notify you by email when this has happened. All information you have saved in your tree, any credits you have purchased or subscriptions you are in the middle of, will all move with you.

Why are we doing this?
    Findmypast is now over 10 years old and technology has advanced and changed. By moving the website on to a new platform, we will be able to provide better features and release new records more often. This is an exciting new time for the findmypast site and you will continue to see improvements over the next few months.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
  5. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Tim, at first I thought your post was a spoof on what they were doing! Then I realised that was exactly what they were doing, but you missed out the most important section of the announcement.

What exactly are we doing?
    The findmypast site is moving to a new technology platform – a bit like moving house, we will be taking most things with us, but leaving behind the things that are old and out of date. Instead of bringing them with us, we'll be replacing them with new, improved features and even more records. There is no need to worry, everything you know and love about findmypast will still be available but some things may look and work a bit differently.

leaving behind the things that are old and out of date - that always rings alarm bells. They are usually the things we use the most and like the most.
    Instead of bringing them with us, we'll be replacing them with new, improved features - more alarm bells!
    There is no need to worry - Even more alarm bells!

Looking forward to being kept up to date by the LC Forum.
    I wonder who will be first to move!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tim

Sorry Katie, for some reason I couldn't copy that bit, I was going to try it again later but you've beaten me to it :)

7. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

I am not surprised, Tim! It took a while to work out that I had to have the cursor far over to the right of the page, away from the writing, for it to highlight!

8. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Just tried the NEW India BMDs . Impressed with neat, clean layout etc. If this is an example of FMP improvements then it is looking good so far.....:)

9. Tim

It doesn't find any hits when I searched for Rachel Moulton, but I got a hit when just searching for the surname.

10. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

Yes, minimal input seems best.

11. Tim

Leaving it blank seems a bit extreme? :rolleyes:

12. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

There's no answer to that;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

This is also a characteristic of the Manchester Burials search, where I find just entering a surname is best. There is no facility for 'near misses' ( or misters come to that;)) . Actually I've come across a number of deceased females recorded as
    Mrs Whoever, rather than a forename as well as 'Baby', or 'Child of '

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Is anyone else having problems with the new site? I wasn't having any problems with the old site but I got logged out of that yesterday and now I am automatically being redirected to the new site. I am finding that many of the pages on the new site just won't open, including the log-in page ("Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"). If I delete my browser cache, history and cookies I can get to the log-in page on the old site but still get redirected to the new site and although logged in, many of the links still don't work. And the "Remember Me" option doesn't seem to be working so each time I close my browser I am back to square one.

I have been in touch with the technical support but they say they can't replicate the problem so it must be my settings. However, having tried the new site on different computers with a couple of different browsers it seems the problem may be with some versions of Internet Explorer - it seems to work with IE8 but not IE9. I haven't been able to try IE10 or IE11.

I've passed this on to technical support in the hope that it might help identify the source of the problems but haven't heard any more yet. I am reluctant to change my browser just to get one website to work, and although I could possibly update IE to version 10, I'd prefer to know first if the new site works with that or not.

15. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

What version of Windows are you using. Version 8 is last version that works with XP and version 9 is last version that works with Vista. If you are on Windows 7 or above then you should at least be on IE 10 as its light years better than the dogs breakfast that was IE9. IE 11 isn't anything stunningly different over IE10.

16. Tim

Wow, I don't recognise it!! It's going to take a while to get used to that new layout!!

17. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I'm using Windows 7 and I've now discovered what the problem is. Whilst not wholly understanding what I'm talking about :eek: it appears that in Windows 7 and Windows 8 some of the TLS security protocols in IE8-10 are disabled by default (all mine were disabled). However, these - or at least 1.0 - need to be enabled to get the new site to work whereas the old site didn't need them enabled.

So upgrading to IE10 probably wouldn't of itself have resolved the problem but changing these settings seems to have done so.

I probably will upgrade to IE10 at some stage - it's mostly a time thing - but I'm not so sure about IE11 which seems quite a bit different from 9 & 10.

18. emjay

emjay LostCousins Member

I think the layout is has a 'clean' look as I found with the recent India records that were added to FMP. But I tried the new format yesterday and could not
    navigate 'back' as easily as on the old format ?

19. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

How about upgrading to Chrome instead?

20. Alexander Bisset

Alexander Bisset Administrator Staff Member

Version 10 has been flagged as a critical update over v9 on windows 7 for last couple of months. Which suggests your machine may not be up to date with its windows updates?

However as Peter suggests chrome is probably a better bet anyway as it seems far smoother and quicker on most sites than IE ever was. You can get Chrome here .