1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

The Family Business Got Me Started

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by John Bradford, Oct 18, 2019.

1. John Bradford

John Bradford LostCousins Member

I worked for H Bradford & Sons Ltd for many years and wanted to know who H Bradford was. It turns out he was my great grandfather Henry Bradford (1835-1915). You'll all appreciate the excitement when I found my first document at St. Catherine's House in the mid-seventies - his marriage certificate. And from that I learned that he was a widower so I possibly had a parallel family somewhere.
    And next I learned that the ancient business card that the company used as advertising material belonged to Henry's father John Bradford (1806-1865). He'd presumably had that printed to mark his move from Bride Lane, Fleet Street to Shacklewell Lane, Dalston in the 1850s.
    Thus was I hooked!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Did you ever trace any family from your great grandfather's first marriage?

3. John Bradford

John Bradford LostCousins Member

Yes, but only briefly. Your post prompted me to go back to this line and I've added a little more detail, but nothing terribly exciting I'm afraid.