1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

State of Victoria BDM searches

Discussion in 'Australia - More resources' started by Siobhan, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Siobhan

Siobhan LostCousins Member

Here is a link to the State of Victoria Family History Records Search. It contains links to other family history sites and some FAQ. I have used the site and at times have not found enough information to help me identify people, but I know others have found it a useful site. I guess I am used to the NSW ones.

2. MarionK

MarionK Moderator Staff Member

Be warned, though, that you have to pay to see the results of searches of the BDM indexes in Victoria. Other States provide index searches for free.

3. Emilypos

Emilypos Member

I agree but lots of us have VIC indexes on CDs....... VIC is the only State where you can download copy of a B,D or M cert. Utill recently these cost $17.50. Its now $20 BUT very cheap compared with Qld BDM certs at $39 with no transcription service at all

Bye

4. MarionK

Agree on both points! My warning was specifically aimed at the website search. Us members with the CDs will offer lookups for those without. Do we have a 'lookups' sub-forum set up yet?

5. Cathy

Cathy Moderator Staff Member

You'll get into trouble if you offer lookups from most data CDs including these ones as far as I know. It's a breach of copyright. You can respond to queries with information from your CDs usually without problems though straight copying is I think a grey area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MarionK

Thanks for raising that point, Cathy. The offer would be for pieces of information, not copying data, of course. And, yes, each lookup would have to comply with copyright restrictions.