1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

SideView

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by peter, Oct 4, 2022.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

An interesting blog post about SideView - a must read, whether you've already got SideView for Matches, or are still waiting.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

So I've just logged into the guest account I set up for my sister when she did her DNA test (and never use), and she has this new feature - and the notification bell. As things stand I can only see her results through her account but at least I now know, for her, which parent is which, something I haven't been able to tell just from the ethnicity estimates.

Typically, the two high matches I would most have liked to know about are unassigned - for one of them all the shared matches are on the maternal side, while for the other I have shared matches on both sides. However, I have plenty of others to look through.

3. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I'm actually interested to know if the new information will let us know which parent is the one that matches those DNA relatives we have already figured out, because that could go a long way to assisting the removal of brick walls.

I'm thinking particularly of my mother's results, because unlike my paternal side, she doesn't have a parent with a unique DNA ethnicity to make it extremely simple to know which of my grandmother's "Parent"s is her father and which is her mother (one almost pure Scottish, the other English & Jewish). As if, for example, Parent 1 was all my mothers paternal relatives that I had already chatted to/recognised/discovered matched to a few of the "Unknown family groups" I have sitting in those results (due to my illegitimate great-great grandfather) I might be a step closer to discovery on that score.

4. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

Not that I can see. I have allocated her to 'Fathers side' (now showing Parental with you have selected this label). The 'message' button is available for me to contact her. I suppose I can message her and see if I am assigned to her Maternal side which is where the connection should be.

5. Mitch_in_Notts

I had that last night with one of the other two tests I manage - 'by parent' kept defaulting to my own results. Was working fine this morning while I was having breakfast, so probably still a few glitches around!

6. Mitch_in_Notts

I didn't know which of parent 1 and parent 2 was maternal/paternal until last night when all was clearly revealed!

7. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

Yes, it does. Looking at my sister's matches, those where I've already noted a relationship have a little 'i' in a circle alongside, and clicking that tells you if the match is Parent 1 or Parent 2.

8. Mitch_in_Notts

I manage 3 DNA tests.
    Out of interest in the 'by parent' section:
    EM has 12,790 assigned and 1,768 unassigned. Tree has 6,443 people.
    DM has 20,555 assigned and 3,894 unassigned. Tree has 6,443 people.
    NM (me) has 528(!!!) assigned and 11,689 unassigned. Tree has 494 people.
    There is no blood connection between the 3 people.
    Has anyone else such a discrepancy in assigned and unassigned especially as some of the unassigned are alive and appear in the tree of 494 people?

9. AlanB

AlanB LostCousins Member

Looks pretty accurate to me, at least with the matches that I can verify. I have one match on my maternal side that Ancestry tells me is paternal. When I click on the i next to it I am given the option of changing it or keeping it, but if I click on keep nothing happens!

I also now know that the 13% Swedish/Danish that I apparently have has come from my father. I have no idea how far back this Scandinavian ancestry is because as far as I know all my father's ancestors came from the East Midlands or Staffordshire. Could 13% go back 1000 years to when the Danes were raping and pillaging?

10. peter

If you've already figured out how you're related, surely you already know the answer?

11. peter

What were you expecting to happen?

12. AlanB

AlanB LostCousins Member

I was expecting the alert to tell me that they thought it was paternal would disappear.

13. peter

Ignore ethnicity estimates - as I've said many times before, they won't help.

14. peter

If there were only two options I would have expected 'keep' to mean the opposite of 'change'.

15. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

I'm getting some odd suggestions. My Dad's half sister (Same father) is been shown as
    upload_2022-10-6_15-8-53.png
    Clicking the i button gives you
    upload_2022-10-6_15-9-36.png

And as Alan B says, Clicking on the Keep button doesn't change anything currently, you go back to the first image.

But I don't understand why they would think this is Both?

16. peter

Wait until you can see the explanatory information that appears when you click the new menu item - there are several reasons why matches can appear as 'unassigned', and the numbers vary enormously between individuals. For example, my mother-in-law, who had one English parent, and one Welsh parent, has very few unassigned matches - about a tenth as many as most of the other tests I manage.
    Again, wait till you can read the explanatory notes.

17. peter

Presumably that's a match where you had assigned it as paternal or maternal? A lot of what we see with this new update depends on what we have done previously.

18. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

So they haven't published these explanatory notes yet? I would love to see how they're going to explain that my Dad's sister is also related to my Mum.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  19. peter

They did - but they're on the page that won't come up any more.

20. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

So far, every time I select "by parent" I just get "Something went wrong. Please try again later.".