1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

SideView

Discussion in 'DNA Questions and Answers' started by peter, Oct 4, 2022.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Ancestry are now showing matches as either Mother's side, Father's side, Parent 1, Parent 2, or Unassigned.

So far it looks as if this is more accurate than I was expecting.

EDIT: now it has gone - hopefully not for too long

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  2. Mitch_in_Notts

Mitch_in_Notts LostCousins Member

Peter, out of interest, where/how exactly is it showing this? I presume it is on the matches list - but then what does it actually say and whereabouts on the match does it show it - means as you appear to have had a sneak preview? Thanks.

3. peter

upload_2022-10-4_23-4-56.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

This is actually exciting! I hope it (re)appears for all of us soon.

5. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I’m not seeing this as yet, although some matches already show Mother’s side or Father’s side because I’ve added in my relationship with that match. Hopefully, if or when my matches are marked as Parent 1 or Parent 2, I might be able to work out which parent is which - I can’t really tell from their ethnicity. Overall this sounds like it will be a useful addition.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. peter

I'm afraid none of us will see it until they activate it again - I was just lucky to be on the site during the few minutes it was enabled. Had I known it was going to disappear again I would have taken more screenshots.

Look out for this new menu item at the top of the Matches page:
    upload_2022-10-5_7-54-33.png

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  7. Mitch_in_Notts

Thank you for posting that Peter. I presume then that if you have already entered 'Mothers' 'Fathers' or 'Both' yourself, then it leaves that unchanged, and only adds to the ones which you haven't personally allotted.

8. peter

Some of the "Mother's side" and "Father's side" entries had a tooltip which explained that this was a relationship I had specified, however others didn't. This inconsistency might be one of the reasons the beta was withdrawn.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  9. Susan48

Susan48 LostCousins Superstar

It appeared on my Ancestry screen just as I was about to log off so no chance to investigate it properly today. Perhaps other members have now seen it too.

10. peter

Ah yes, back again - let's hope it stays around this time!

11. Mitch_in_Notts

Live for me! How is 401cM with 6% shared DNA 'unassigned'!!

12. peter

In my case the other person is someone who is not accepting messages. Is there anything different about your relative?

13. Stuart

Stuart LostCousins Member

I have now got these new sideview labels, after a bit of a delay (and some Bad Gateway errors that might be due to all this tinkering with the innards of Ancestry).

The ones I allocated are now labelled as Maternal and Paternal instead of Mother's and Father's side. With them I get told which of Parent 1 and 2 they are (when Ancestry thinks it knows), and I'm offered this option:

This match is on your Parent 2's side. Do you want to change Parent 2 to Paternal side? This will label all Parent 2 matches Paternal side and Parent 1 matches Maternal side. Update label

I haven't done that yet - I want to know if that's reversible, or if I will still be told which I labelled and which Ancestry's worked out. I can't find any help on this topic yet, so I guess I can leave it for now - I know which parent is which anyway.

14. peter

Same here.

15. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Ooh got it ... might be a while before I can fully evaluate but will report back.

16. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

However, initial findings are that it has correctly matched parent 1 and parent 2 with my known ancestry. I wish I wasn't so busy this week as I would love to spend all my time studying and evaluating this!

17. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I have them now as well. It was helpful to learn that parent 1 is on my maternal side. Also that all of those to whom I have sent messages without replies are on my paternal side. Linked no doubt to my still unknown grandfather.

18. Pauline

Pauline LostCousins Megastar

I don’t have it, and as I said elsewhere, these days we always seem to be among the last to get new features on our account. Why? We’ve been subscribers to Ancestry since the year dot, it’s nearly 6 years since I did my DNA with them, and there’s rarely a day when I don’t use the site.

Maybe they feel we don’t need new features to encourage us to stay?

19. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

I think their method is still glitchy - it keeps crashing when I try to look at the "by parent" section, and when it took me back to my own results (from my grandmother's!) it had an match in my results as "unassigned" even though I have both parents tested.

20. peter

Same here - although it was working for me yesterday. The page that comes up (when it's working) provides a lot of useful information - I wish I had made a screenshot.

My guess is that they've halted the roll-out while they take a look at the problems that the beta testing has thrown up.