1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

School history lesson

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by chrissy1, May 21, 2015.

1. chrissy1

chrissy1 LostCousins Star

I was working in a school and listening attentively to a history teacher encouraging her pupils to draw up a family tree in preparation for learning about the Kings and Queens of England. She was an experience FH researcher and hearing that I was interested in tracing my family tree, she introduced me to the IGI and then offered to accompany me to York Library and the Borthwick Record Office and help me to get started, as it turned out that we both had family from Yorkshire. That was ca 1987/8 and I never looked back........ What took me 10 years to achieve during lengthy visits to record offices in Devon, Gloucestershire, Essex and York could be done in a few days on the internet now, but I have had the satisfaction of seeing the actual areas where my ancestors lived.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

I agree, Chrissy. My husband and I have had some enjoyable times tramping around cemeteries looking for an elusive grave - and the thrill of discovery! We have searched for a Gully in an old goldmining area, which was named after his g.g.grandfather (emigrated to Oz in 1856), unsuccessfully, I might say. Searches at the Mitchell Library in Sydney have also lead to some great discoveries. We are getting a bit old for it now but nothing beats primary research!

• Agree Agree x 1