1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Some new members aren't following the advice on posting links - please read it!
  3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join please register NOW!

Probate Registry Wills

Discussion in 'Latest news' started by Pauline, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Star

Yes, it's the difference between 'estimated delivery' and 'delivered' dates that is so striking. I wonder what the biggest gap will be?

2. BarryR

BarryR LostCousins Member

I've had six more from my 24th July batch (just four more left), so they do appear to be catching up. One of them was interesting, Richard Selves died in 1879 and left some legacies to one of his brothers and to the children of another brother. The rest he left to a niece, Hannah Selves, the daughter of a third brother - despite the fact that he had had eight children of his own. I know in the 1871 census Richard was living with Hannah as his housekeeper, so it is possible all his children predeceased him, or they had fallen out. So another research avenue opens out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Star

I was surprised to find my childless great aunt had left everything to one particular niece, despite the fact her brother (this niece's father) was still alive, and she had several other nieces and nephews still living (including my dad). This must have been her favourite niece. If she hadn't left a will, her estate would have gone to her brother who may have squandered it all before he could pass it on to his daughter!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

They may be 'involved' but they're only contractors.- their responsibility is not to the customer, but to the Probate Service.

5. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Correct record now sent along with a lovely apology for their mistake. This will is quite an interesting one, about nine pages long with lots of details I will be following up on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LynneP

LynneP LostCousins Member

Finally! The wills ordered on 29th July arrived today. They're actually more interesting than I expected too.

7. lindy

lindy LostCousins Member

I received 2 of 4 yesterday from my 28th July order. Progress. They were for a father and son, with the same name, who died 6 years apart. Unfortunately the first section (the grant?) and the will itself were muddled so the dates didn't match! Still quite readable though.

8. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Star

I finally received the last of the wills I ordered on 25th July on 8th October - 1 day short of 2 months beyond the estimated delivery date. I've been pleased with the information obtained from them and am thinking of ordering a few more now. I wonder if the turnaround time will be better from now on?