1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Name for OAPs

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by BarbK, Aug 23, 2021.

1. BarbK

BarbK Member

I want to suggest an alternative name for OAPs. Where???

2. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

Here!

3. So where is it then? I am intrigued.

4. BarbK

BarbK Member

I suggest Elders. In aged care in Australia we use this term to refer to our residents. I like it.
    BarbK

5. Sorry, it doesn't do it for me because an Elder is a senior member of a church, particularly the Mormon Church.

In NZ we are referred to as Senior Citizens or just Seniors. I'm quite happy with that.

6. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

When I visited Australia in 2003/4 my sister whenever she shopped generally (other than for food) , always mentioned when paying that she was a SENIOR expecting a discount (and woe betide if none was forthcoming). However I noticed when prices were displayed at venues like Botanical Gardens and the like, Senior was always defined as 55+ and not the age when one qualified for pension. In the UK at the time one became an 'OAP' at age 60, and 65 for men and this never varied for years. I believe things changed in 2020 when it levelled out for both sexes to 66 and due to rise to 67 by 2028.

Back to Australia my sister (soon to be 80) lives in a 'Retirement Village for the Elderly'. Not sure when she qualified for a pension but many years previous and not quite sure whether she qualified by age or by more by assessment which in Australia (like its Football) is based on "Australian Rules". However I do know my sister when speaking on Skype -when her laptop is working and after she has called on her son-in-law to visit living a good 100 miles or more away to fix - the Village also has a good many 'oldies' (her own definition meaning well into their 90's'). She tells me she keeps her eye on many of them and is often called upon by Management to assist when (said oldies) won't eat or don't understand something...I comment it is a bit like the 'blind leading the blind, which usually draws a wry smile.;)

As for answering the question what should those of pensionable age be called I bow out on that. I think Elders probably serves, leaving Senior status to the over 55's. I am sure my sister would want some further definition for her 'oldies' so perhaps Senior Elders might serve?o_O

7. We could all be looking at this from differing points of view, based on age.
    In my book an OAP is somebody who is 'earning' an Old Age Pension.
    We receive National Superannuation for which the current qualifying age is 65 for both genders. We are given a 'SuperGold Card' which entitles us to discounts and special prices at participating retailers and venues. We can also use it in Australia.
    There is an organisation called 'Grey Power' for over 55's but as I am way past that I am no longer familiar with their card.

8. Bob Spiers

I'm glad you mention Superannuation as that always baffles me when my sister refers to same as the Oz (and clearly NZ) term for a 'State Pension'. In the UK it is always a State Pension, whilst Superannuation is the technical (and little used term) for a private pension; either as offered by your Employer or taken out personally. So, playing with words, your eventual retirement income is your state pension plus any 'superannuated' private income.

9. peter

The question originally posed by The Economist was "What do you call someone who is over 65 but not yet elderly". Clearly some people over 65 ARE elderly, so a description which applies to everyone over a certain age doesn't quite fill the bill, though I do quite like 'elders'.

Incidentally, when I had my hair cut last week I was forced to claim that I was retired in order to get the 'pensioner' discount (though these days even the discounted price is more than the full price pre-pandemic). On the previous occasion I was truthful, saying that although I was over 70 I couldn't afford to retire, but my reward for honesty was to pay full price. What would you do in my position (and no, Bob, I don't want my wife cutting my hair)?

10. Not quite right.
    Us ex-pat Brits are legally bound to apply for the OAP, it is then paid either to the NZ Gov't or the recipient who then has to declare it for tax purposes. I chose for it to go to the NZ Gov't, can't be bothered with the faffing around!
    We are not 'allowed' to have an income from any sort of pension on top of our NZ one, all pensioners have to have equal income in that regard but we can have a job and earn interest and have dividends but it's all taxed at a higher rate.

11. peter

There used to be a higher tax rate for pensioners in the UK, which was the result of clawing back an increase in the personal allowance which applied above a certain age, but the allowance has now, I think, been abolished (and the personal allowance for everyone increased).

Interesting that the NZ government doesn't allow top-up pensions, but does allow interest and dividends - in the UK the two are virtually the same thing now that very few have defined benefit private pensions.

12. jorghes

jorghes LostCousins Superstar

Not really - you can have both Superannuation and the Pension in Australia. The amount of pension you receive can be based on how much you have accumulated in Super. The pension is what is dolled out through the government, and they are known to be penny pinches.

For Australians, Super is automatically created when you get your first job. The employer is required to pay a percentage of your wages into your account, and you are allowed to "co-contribute" if you wish. Those who can live on their Super or other investments are known in Australia as "Self funded Retirees".

13. Bob Spiers

Why lie of course and to hell with semantics. Age is the qualifier here as is cutting costs. (As you clearly demonstrated when seeking out 'Reduced Bargains' when Tesco food shopping pre-pandemic days).

As for my wife cutting my hair (which as you know from previous postings she does and quite well considering I am bald on top - an heredity things following my father, son and now his son (my grandson)). But I also know my UK sister (in her mid 70's) cuts her husband's hair, and to my surprise learned quite recently my daughter acquired a hairdressing kit and acts as a 'stand-in' hairdresser to her husband so it is clearly catching on.

It will always be down to individuals, perhaps a touch of vanity and/or whether or not one trusts one's spouse to be dexterous enough to make a decent job of things. But knowing the cost of Barber charges - even those offered to Pensioners - I am sure it is something that will catch on.

On the other hand my wife would not let me anywhere near her hair, even to comb. So female hairdressing costs being scandalously high (even my wife thinks this) I shall continue to book my appointment with her every few weeks which takes place in the Conservatory on a Sunday morning. I set up apparatus and oil and stow away the clippers and help clear up - then take a bath. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  14. Bob Spiers

I have been brushing up on Australian Superannuation as I was not sure how it worked. I also had chance to speak with a cousin who is visiting in a couple of weeks time. Before he retired he held a fairly high ranking Union position and maintains we (the UK) should have copied the Australian practice of making it compulsory for Employers to pay a percentage (then 9% and now apparently 10%) into their employee 'Super' funds. He, being someway to the left politically -no surprise there as a Union official- was scathing about the way (in his words) Conservatives in general and Maggie Thatcher in particular passed legislation to curb the Unions after they sought to advocate similar in the UK. It was not going to happen as the word 'compulsory' does not sit comfortably on the shoulders of politicians and businesses in the UK. Pension modifications were made under various guises (none using the word superannuation) but opt outs and 'ways around' made the whole thing a mere shadow of the Australian version.

Politics aside, I now have a better understanding of what Australian Superannuation stands for and indeed have learned that Australia has the 4th highest Pension fund (ie Superannuation) in the world -approaching 4 trillion Australian dollars. Apparently the downside of which is longevity of those drawing their 'Super' pensions - but that is the downside of all government pension funds and in time there will have to be changes to accommodate. So in the end it is all the fault of living longer - and of course our own fault.:(

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  15. peter

I think that in fairness I should explain to members outside the UK that in this country employers do have to make pension contributions on behalf of their employees, and whilst there are opt-outs it is only the employee who can opt out, not the employer. You'll find the details here. At the moment the employer's contribution is only 3% but they also pay the government 13.8% in 'National Insurance' contributions on earnings above a fairly low threshold.

16. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

I have not heard the term OAP before reading this. We do have OAS, which is the Old Age Pension, a small amount for those of us 65 and over. There is also the Guaranteed Income Supplement for those of us with low income. Then there is the Canada Pension Plan, to which as mentioned employers and employees are pay into equally. There is no option to opt out. We can however, if we wish, stop paying into it at 60 instead of 65 and therefore receive a reduced amount each month. Those of us who stayed home to raise the children are given credit for those years, albeit with a reduced amount.

As for what we are called, generally, it is just "Seniors"

It is my understanding that our government has put the CPP funds into general revenue.

17. Heather

Heather LostCousins Member

Here in Victoria (Australia) and other States and Territories anyone who; reaches the age of 60, is a permanent resident, and is working less than 35 hours per week in paid employment, or fully retired , can apply for a Seniors Card which can be used anywhere displaying the "Seniors Card" logo on their premises, this is not connected to pensions. It is the business owner who can then decide what % of discount they can offer their customers.

When I became eligible to claim the Australian Pension I was advised to claim the British Pension as well, which I did and now receive both. If you claim the British Pension and now live in New Zealand, Canada or Australia your pension is frozen from that day and is never increased, there are 492,176 (May 2020) people world wide affected by this. for more information see British Pensions in Australia (bpia.org.au)

As for a suggestion for a name instead of Old Age Pensioners which I don't like, nor do I like Elders, I think Seniors, sounds the best for me, as I tell everyone "I'm not getting old just getting older" :rolleyes:

18. I totally agree. I am neither a pastor nor a statesman. I'm used to being referred to as a Senior.

19. Bob Spiers

The trouble with 'Seniors' is you could drive a bus through it. Everyone over the age of 50 (never mind 55) believes -and who can challenge - they have reached 'Senior' status. Bus passes (in the UK) are still issued at age 60 - not to Pensioners but to Seniors.

It is true the term 'Elder' is used by various religious denominations - my own Ancestor reached 'Elder' status at a Baptist Chapel in Birmingham in the 1850's - but religion has no exclusive right to the term 'Elder'. Until someone comes up with a more rounded term to cover those of pensionable age, I opt for Elders.

20. Katie Bee

Katie Bee LostCousins Member

Oh no they are not!
    Bus passes are now issued at pension age.
    Some authorities like West Midlands, Merseyside and London have travel passes which are issued at different ages, it used to be 60 and probably still is.

• Agree Agree x 1