1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Name for OAPs

Discussion in 'Comments on the latest newsletter' started by BarbK, Aug 23, 2021.

1. peter

peter Administrator Staff Member

And they're proposing to do the same with free prescriptions.

2. Bob Spiers

Bob Spiers LostCousins Superstar

Sorry Katie on yes they are, wel! Here in Kent anyway. I even kidded my daughter to apply for one( she has just had her 61st birthday and her husband his 62nd) , and to my surprise she did for both of them. I think it is more for the Park&Ride element which I know she uses more than actually catching a bus, but she qualified . And yes in Birmingham, the only other area I know about, it is also 60. I was not aware different rules applied elsewhere or whether it is due to change in Kent but it wouldn't surprise me..

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2021
  3. You can call yourself what you like. In NZ over 65's are Senior Citizens and I am sticking with that. :D

There are concessions for bus travel, it's free before 9am and, up to 3pm depending on the authority. Until about 6 years ago I lived in Auckland and could travel home from work at 5pm for nothing. Of course, it all works from the plastic card which we have to pay for and load with money if we intend to travel outside the free hours.

We also get a 'winter allowance' to cover the cost of heating, due to the high price of electricity in this country some seniors were going without heating in the winter.

4. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

Indeed, and it's been a long time coming for those of us who have waited an unexpectedly long time to reach State Pension Age. I originally expected to get my State Pension at 60, then I was going to be one of the very first women to have to wait all the way until I was 65 (it was phased in, so those a bit older than me got their State Pension sooner) and then it was moved to 66. My cousin in London got free travel at 60 though, but no concessions here (County Durham) until you qualify for a State Pension. I was lucky to be able to take early retirement with an occupational pension, but very few 'senior' discounts here apply before the State Pension Age.

5. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Here in Oz, those living in rural or regional areas have received a travel card valued at $250 to cover travel costs. The card can be used for bus/train etc. or for petrol. This has proved very helpful for us as I have recently had a lengthy stay in a hospital 130 klms away and my husband was able to make regular visits, courtesy of the travel card!

6. I hope you are well now, welcome back.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Bryman

Bryman LostCousins Megastar

Don't you mean "it's free after 9am"? That is how it is in Greater Christchurch on South Island.

8. Oops, yes! :rolleyes:

9. Margery

Margery LostCousins Member

Yes thanks, though I didn't expect 5 weeks in hospital for a total knee replacement, followed by another week for revision surgery! Walking well now with only the aid of a stick.:)

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. peter

In that case I'm middle-aged.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Bob Spiers

That's another thing my daughter rejoiced about when she became eligible for free prescriptions. I assume they cannot renege on this if and when the older age qualifications apply?

It seems sad to me that the generations approaching the old pension qualification ages (60/65) should have had their hopes dashed when the new pensionable ages were muted and then adopted. The old rules had been in existence for as long as I can remember and I had known for 40 years or more I could retire and draw the state pension at 65 if I so chose. I made provisions for same, and DID! (My wife ditto at 60, albeit with age difference, two years after me)

I am sure there are a thousand reasons why others will claim the extension to the pension age to be fair - and provide the inevitable statistics to back up their arguments - just don't expect me to share their enthusiasm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

Yes, and the phasing was rather rapid. I qualified for my State Pension and bus pass the day before my 64th birthday. My husband, only 10 weeks older than me, got his bus pass 8 months earlier, reflecting the changing pension age for women at the time (he had to wait till he was 65 to get his State pension). No concessionary bus travel here in Leicestershire until you reach pension age - and then only free after 9:30 am.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Helen7

Helen7 LostCousins Superstar

I think the pension ages should be the same for men and women. It's just the way it was brought in, with very little notice, that was unfair. There should have been a far longer notice (and phasing) period to allow for proper forward planning,

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. So what do you call old?

15. It is in NZ, we have a Human Rights Act. Discrimination against all sorts of things including gender and age is illegal.

16. Bob Spiers

In my mothers time (in the 1930/40's) 50-55 was considered middle age. With a 10-15 age advancement now said to equate to those times, middle age can be considered to start at 65 and remain to 70 and beyond. The old pension (i.e retirement) age of 65 (yes for women 5 years earlier, though why this came about when women often lived longer than men I do not know), is now considered to equate to age 75 for both sexes. In the not so distant future, this will become the target retirement age in the UK and likely in most places in the world.

So what constitutes old age? Well certainly not before the age of 80-85 and for many living into their 90's likely not until that age is upon you or fast approaching.

This following CBS news feature -what is considered old age- as well as providing graphs, qualifies old age in other ways and may be of interest.

17. peter

Perhaps someone who can no longer care for themselves because of age, rather than disability.
    We have that too - that's why the pension ages had to be equalised. Insurers were also prevented from discriminating between men and women when selling annuities, and that change was brought in far more quickly than the pension changes, disadvantaging men. (However it's debatable whether buying an annuity is a good move anyway, and thankfully we no longer have to - previously it used to be compulsory to turn a pension fund into an annuity at age 75.)

18. Bob Spiers

Helen was just agreeing with what became fact and the same applies today in the UK and what sparked the rapid alignment of pension ages for both genders

19. canadianbeth

canadianbeth LostCousins Star

It is the same here in Canada. The OAS has always been available to women and men at the same age of 65. I was surprised to read comments that in some countries it was not.
    I still remember some years ago when we were purchasing a piece of furniture; cannot remember just what it was now, but the salesman did not automatically just start talking to my husband and taking all his information, but actually took all the information from me instead. Our internet bill is in my name, as is our only credit card. This would not have been the case not all that long ago.
    As for what is considered "old", I am not sure. I will be 80 in October, am I old, or elderly? I doubt it would be middle-aged. I play crib with other people older than I am; they all live at home and are quite able to take care of themselves. Some use canes, as I do, and one lady, who has not come since the lockdown, used a scooter.

20. Sue_3

Sue_3 LostCousins Member

My 98-year-old mother-in-law now admits that she is old, but didn't consider that she was getting old until her health started to fail, which was about 10 years ago. No one who meets her can believe that she is as old as 98, as she doesn't look it and doesn't always act it either!

• Agree Agree x 1