1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

My paternal grandfather died in 1970

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by Earle, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Earle

Earle New Member

Hi my name is Earle and I am from Australia, when my grandfather died I was 22 and I knew nothing about where he came from. I talked to his brother at the funeral and he told me we came from Essex or Sussex to South Australia in 1856 then to Ballarat, Victoria then to Newcastle, New South Wales. My grandmother told me she came to Australia in 1912 she was on her way here when the Titanic sank, she came from Stafforshire and had lived in America before she came here. My Father in ew very little about our family tree, my Mother was a WWII war bride and came to Australia in 1946, she was from Durham and she told me all about her side of the family back to the 1840. I had a wonderful start with my Family History with over a 100 ancestors and I had to put it all on paper in those days until I got my first computer in 1991. I'm still at it 44 years later with over 24,000 people in my Family Tree, I am still enjoying it and still finding new people & photos. I just got a photo last month of my maternal grandmother from a lost cousin that my Mother has never seen, you never know what you are going to find tomorrow.
    All the best to everyone here for Christmas and the New Year.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

Hi Earl, and welcome to the forum. Over 24,000 is very impressive! You must have loads of relatives loaded on the Lost cousins site. :)

3. Liberty

Liberty LostCousins Megastar

Or just possibly Earle will have plenty to do to fill in his spare time

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  4. patzy

patzy LostCousins Member

What started me off was that I had no idea who my grandfather on my father's side was.
    He deserted my grandmother, leaving her with two small children. She would never talk about her ex and even her sons did not know anything about him.

Then, a few years ago, I noticed that a lot of family tree stuff was turning up on line and so I thought I'd have a look for my grandfather. I took a sub out with Ancestry and armed with my grandmother's nickname (she died years ago and I never knew her real first name or her maiden name) and my grandfather's surname I started on the puzzle.
    After a few months of trawling through lists of births, deaths and marriages around the area I thought the family came from, I found him. He had heaps of brothers and sisters all living nearby and I had missed the chance of knowing a whole lot of relatives.

Once I started things kept turning up.
    I've just got to a distant relative who had 76 grandchildren (he went through two wives). I really must find out what happened to them all.
    What with this and contacting my first "lost cousin" I just cannot find enough time. Help! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Tim

Tim Megastar and Moderator Staff Member

It certainly is addictive isn't it?

• Agree Agree x 2