1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

3. If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  4. This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  5. It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

My family won't be there

Discussion in 'How I got started in Family History' started by Just Martin, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Just Martin

Just Martin LostCousins Member

My wife had been a keen compiler of her family history for a few years when I accompanied her to a family history fair. Someone from West Berks FHS waved to me,
    "Give me your family name," she said
    "You won't find it," I replied. "My family have made no mark on history. Try Dowse, they were in Wantage"
    "What, these people?" She gestured at her screen.
    I looked, it was the 1881 census (of course) and there was Henry Nelson and his family. It looked like magic to me.
    I found the website when I got home and joined Ancestry. I can be quite single minded and focused when something catches my interest and soon I was obsessed. Genes Reunited, FindMyPast, google searches and soon I had a picture of a family that was a little different to my mother's telling and I had discovered the 'joys' of researching my Irish father's tree = "You should have asked Kate," he would say, "she was the family historian." this, long after Kate had died.
    Since then:
    • I have helped reunite two half sisters who didn't know each other existed (the story in one of the LC newsletters).
    • I have discovered that my grandfather was a bigamist (and possibly not related to my mother at all)
    • Thanks to DNA, I have more Irish cousins than I ever thought possible
    • Ran past my great grandfather's house in Chapelizod as part of the Dublin Marathon
    • 'Finished' a single name and place study, Dowses in Wantage, a fascinating exercise.
    At the moment, I'm stuck - I can go broader, but deeper into the past is a challenge. It looks like one of my ancestors on my father's side was born at sea and my grandmother on my mother's side might have been a bit of a party girl.

Still, it's all good

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2